• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this, the 4th time I'm telling you. The Tegra 3 processor is a quad core processor running at 1,4 Ghz. Double the amount you say Europa Universalis 3 needs.

You simply do not understand how hardware works. The architectures are not only way different and would require a significant and costly amount of resources to port, but you do not simply compare processor speeds, say it has 4 cores, and call it a day. That is so off base that it is hard not to laugh when you keep saying this. Cache, ram, system busses, all of these come into play as well. EU 3 might be portable to a tablet, but it sure as shit is going to run like a dead pig on current hardware. The other thing is that this is never going to happen as everyone has pointed out that EU is a niche game that would not appeal to most people who own iPads and the port would be costly and make Paradox look bad when it runs like garbage.

There will be Europa Universalis for tablets, its just a matter of time. Nobody uses laptops anymore, and I don't even think best buy sells desktops anymore... EU3 for Ipad, most definitely.

There will be Europa Universalis for tablets, its just a matter of time. Nobody uses laptops anymore, and I don't even think best buy sells desktops anymore... EU3 for Ipad, most definitely.
Just finished university. Pretty much every single student at the school has a laptop (that they bought themself, it's not one of those free-laptop programs).

I do not have an iPad. So really, I shouldn't be responding to this.

*Shuffle away*

Do even you believe that ?

Anyway, as has been repeated stated here, EU3 cannot run on the iPad and will not be able to for years, if at all.

In the first post, the OP points out that the question is for all tablets and not just iPads. Nor did the OP ask if you owned an iPad.

I own a tablet and an iPad. I play EU3 on a tablet. It does work. I can host games on my router and play multiplayer. Your fingers are easily maneuverable across a 10 inch screen and the sensitivity can be enhanced. The way EU3 is set up with auto saves makes it great for transit or waiting for a friend/class/meeting by breaking down playtime. Though I can't run DW (my tablet is 2.3 GHz), I'm sure a tablet will be available soon that can.

I don't really plan on getting a tablet as I mostly regard it as a large smartphone, but that may change in the future. Therefore I might buy it, but I expect the UI to be a problem. In my opinion a lot of clickable objects and an extreme use of a pause button would be hard to convert to a touch screen.

On another note: wouldn't the amount of RAM in current tablets be a problem. I know system requirements for EU3 are 512 MB, but I can imagine that that would increase progressively with each expansion and especially with games advancing into the 19th century (if you're ever willing to play that far, that is). I haven't played EU3 in years, but whenever I play the Magna Mundi mod it soaks up over 2 GB of RAM.

How will the tooltip on mouse hover work on a tablet? Long click to show tooltip? That wouldn't work for new players since they don't know where they are to begin with.

I think the interface will have to be redesigned from the ground up to work well on a tablet. Maybe EU4 if you ask me.

In the first post, the OP points out that the question is for all tablets and not just iPads. Nor did the OP ask if you owned an iPad.

I own a tablet and an iPad. I play EU3 on a tablet. It does work. I can host games on my router and play multiplayer. Your fingers are easily maneuverable across a 10 inch screen and the sensitivity can be enhanced. The way EU3 is set up with auto saves makes it great for transit or waiting for a friend/class/meeting by breaking down playtime. Though I can't run DW (my tablet is 2.3 GHz), I'm sure a tablet will be available soon that can.
I'm pretty sure though that the OP was not referring to tablets that are just laptops with a different interface using Intel x86 CPUs (Core i3/i5/i7) and running Windows. He's referring to smaller tablets with weaker CPUs not running Windows.

This thread is about if you would buy it, not if it is possible. I personally would buy it, especially if you could play games started on your desktop, and vice versa. The touchscreen would be a pain though.

Because you're a mind reader? It is still a tablet.
Because his question makes no sense if you can already run it. It seems pretty clear that he's only asking about devices that can't already run the game.

I would rather buy a hybrid of magicka and eu 3 :p

I have been searching since last year for a EU or HOI grand strategy game for the iPad.
I would soooo preorder it right now.
I love Paradox games and would love to see them fill the whole in this market.
Someone please make this happen!

for ipad no, for android tablet (or even better, phone) I would pay full, normal price (like of a PC game)

This is unlikely to happen but I think Paradox should be looking into it. Especially because there is serious lack of complex games on the mobile market at the moment.
I travel via public transport up to 3h daily, lots of time I just can't wait to get home to launch EU, imagine being able to do it on the go ... having EU3 on my phone would be a killer deal.

Creating the game for mobile should not be that difficult, yes it has one major problem which is the engine, would require different or special (new) version of it but apart of that it should be mostly fine.
Whole game would be the same, zooming in/out if something's too small is a piece of cake, would need complete overhaul of UI but code wise, if EU does not rely on DirectX and runs on OpenGL then it should not be that difficult, at least for Android where applications doesn't have to be rewritten in Java thanks to NDK.

Phones today have at least 1GB ram, 1.5Ghz CPU with 2-4 cores, a lot of power to use if coded properly
EU is not an FPS game which really requires mouse (FPS are terrible on touchscreens no matter what other say),
if you look closely, EU is kind of simulation, mostly about pressing buttons, moving sliders, and directing units - this can be easily remade with UI designed for touchscreens,
in EU game pace can be adjusted so that is also something worrying.

I would even date to say it is nearly perfect match for mobile gaming.

Imagine possibility of joining multiplayer game anywhere you are (mobile 3G/4G network) as well if the game could be the same as on PC gameplay/mechanic wise (just different UI), playing game on the phone and continuing on PC at home would be great, but on the other hand I am afraid that bringing game to mobile would dumb it down and simplify not giving similar experience as on PC, that would throw off lot of people ....

I think Paradox maybe could toy with the idea of bringing EU(3+ ?) game to mobile after releasing EU4, there's a gap in the market for it that's aching to fill

But why? Tell us why it would be a bad idea.

Personally I'd love to play it on the go, on my tablet. And the gameplay features would technologically be able to translate onto the Ipad or other tablets. And I'm sure It'd sell well if they sold Chronicles for let's say 5 dollars or so. Maybe even 10. Itunes and Android Marketplace also lack these types of games, so it wouldn't have much competition. And it's not like it's not powerful enough to run the game. It even has higher resolution than most of our monitors. So, what's the problem?
There's a reason they lack those type of games; the hardware simply isn't powerful enough. Also, do you REALLY want to try micromanagement on an EU3 level on a shitty touch screen? Imagine fighting a massive war in Europe against large enemies, you'd drive yourself insane!

Status
Not open for further replies.