• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Apr 14, 2012
Correct me if i'm wrong, but arent subs like the Virginia nuclear powered? I only got it a few miles away from iceland towards an enemy carrier group and already it ran out of fuel before it even reached it's destination. It was traveling at military speed at the lowest depth.

Iceland lies on a shelf in the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. Pretty much the entire coastal area extending 40+ miles into the ocean is less than 600 feet in depth. Maximum depth for the Virginia class is 800-1000 feet, so yeah... you ran aground.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but arent subs like the Virginia nuclear powered? I only got it a few miles away from iceland towards an enemy carrier group and already it ran out of fuel before it even reached it's destination. It was traveling at military speed at the lowest depth.

You sure it's Virginia SSN and not some Diesel Electric? Those you will run out of battery at anything over slow in a few hours (worst at military)in the real world but I don't think they do that in this game.

Two question re subs. Sub sticking close to a land mass will it mask sonars and how do we know the depth of the water so we can prevent running aground. Use to do that in Harpoon and you were given the depth of the water. I didn't realize you run aground in this game

While on this subject of masking etc, I am currently playing the sixth scenario as the Alliance, the game starts with Russian torpedoes in the water chasing my sub, now does changing depths beat the torps or is it inevitable that I lose this sub. Is this situation a bit unfair where enemy knows my location on the start up of the scenario. As you can't play this scenario from the other side its hard to see whats happening

Right. It is a bit unfortunate, and it happened when we tweaked the specs for a Russian sonar that was underpowered, and added AsRocs.

I have managed to get away with my Ula, but it's not easy. The best I can normally hope for is to kill the Lada.

We're probably going to tweak the sub placement a bit to avoid that problem.

Right. It is a bit unfortunate, and it happened when we tweaked the specs for a Russian sonar that was underpowered, and added AsRocs.

I have managed to get away with my Ula, but it's not easy. The best I can normally hope for is to kill the Lada.

We're probably going to tweak the sub placement a bit to avoid that problem.

What do you mean? Tracking torpedoes track independently. Killing the Lada should not help in any way to dodge the torpedo.....realistically speaking...

No, and it doesn't.

But if you kill it, and by miracle dodge the torps, the enemy will not see you anymore. You can easily shoot down the helos that are launched.

Ah good to know. I want to like this game. Modern naval warfare game is extremely hard to come by. I'm downloading the demo to help me decide. I know it's just 20 bucks but I'd only buy games which I love. They usually get played for a long time even when it's now and then.