+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Subs run out of fuel too quickly?

Subs run out of fuel too quickly?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but arent subs like the Virginia nuclear powered? I only got it a few miles away from iceland towards an enemy carrier group and already it ran out of fuel before it even reached it's destination. It was traveling at military speed at the lowest depth.

Lord High Admiral General Baker's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

You sure it wasn't blown up or something?

IIRC subs/ships in NWAC don't even *have* a fuel cap.

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSengokuSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Sounds like the ship ran aground at that depth.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Iceland lies on a shelf in the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. Pretty much the entire coastal area extending 40+ miles into the ocean is less than 600 feet in depth. Maximum depth for the Virginia class is 800-1000 feet, so yeah... you ran aground.

Quote Originally Posted by TJX View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but arent subs like the Virginia nuclear powered? I only got it a few miles away from iceland towards an enemy carrier group and already it ran out of fuel before it even reached it's destination. It was traveling at military speed at the lowest depth.
    You sure it's Virginia SSN and not some Diesel Electric? Those you will run out of battery at anything over slow in a few hours (worst at military)in the real world but I don't think they do that in this game.

Naval War: Arctic Circle

Bergen, Hordaland, Norway, 106562399381316, Bergen, Hordaland
    No subs (or surface vessels) run out of fuel in the game. If speed is reduced to ~0, you've run aground.

Two question re subs. Sub sticking close to a land mass will it mask sonars and how do we know the depth of the water so we can prevent running aground. Use to do that in Harpoon and you were given the depth of the water. I didn't realize you run aground in this game

Close to land and underwater ridges masks sonar, yes.

Currently, it is only the map that shows depths. You can only run aground when you hit actual land, ie, we don't have underwater structures too shallow for ships or subs.

While on this subject of masking etc, I am currently playing the sixth scenario as the Alliance, the game starts with Russian torpedoes in the water chasing my sub, now does changing depths beat the torps or is it inevitable that I lose this sub. Is this situation a bit unfair where enemy knows my location on the start up of the scenario. As you can't play this scenario from the other side its hard to see whats happening

Right. It is a bit unfortunate, and it happened when we tweaked the specs for a Russian sonar that was underpowered, and added AsRocs.

I have managed to get away with my Ula, but it's not easy. The best I can normally hope for is to kill the Lada.

We're probably going to tweak the sub placement a bit to avoid that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JanH View Post
    Right. It is a bit unfortunate, and it happened when we tweaked the specs for a Russian sonar that was underpowered, and added AsRocs.

I have managed to get away with my Ula, but it's not easy. The best I can normally hope for is to kill the Lada.

We're probably going to tweak the sub placement a bit to avoid that problem.
    What do you mean? Tracking torpedoes track independently. Killing the Lada should not help in any way to dodge the torpedo.....realistically speaking...
    "A society that robs an individual of the product of his effort, or enslaves him, or attempts to limit the freedom of his mind, or compels him to act against his own rational judgment-a society that sets up a conflict between its edicts and the requirements of man's nature-is not, strictly speaking, a society, but a mob held together by institutionalized gang-rule. Such a society destroys all the values of human coexistence, has no possible justification and represents not a source of benefits, but the deadliest threat to man's survival" -Ayn Rand. Read about the nature of Singapore regime on 'exposingsingapore' blog

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Heart View Post
    What do you mean? Tracking torpedoes track independently. Killing the Lada should not help in any way to dodge the torpedo.....realistically speaking...
    No, and it doesn't.

But if you kill it, and by miracle dodge the torps, the enemy will not see you anymore. You can easily shoot down the helos that are launched.

No, and it doesn't.

But if you kill it, and by miracle dodge the torps, the enemy will not see you anymore. You can easily shoot down the helos that are launched.
    Ah good to know. I want to like this game. Modern naval warfare game is extremely hard to come by. I'm downloading the demo to help me decide. I know it's just 20 bucks but I'd only buy games which I love. They usually get played for a long time even when it's now and then.
    "A society that robs an individual of the product of his effort, or enslaves him, or attempts to limit the freedom of his mind, or compels him to act against his own rational judgment-a society that sets up a conflict between its edicts and the requirements of man's nature-is not, strictly speaking, a society, but a mob held together by institutionalized gang-rule. Such a society destroys all the values of human coexistence, has no possible justification and represents not a source of benefits, but the deadliest threat to man's survival" -Ayn Rand. Read about the nature of Singapore regime on 'exposingsingapore' blog

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 Complete
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSword of the Stars

No subs (or surface vessels) run out of fuel in the game. If speed is reduced to ~0, you've run aground.
    I'd hope that the sub driver (or ship captain) would know better than to blindly follow orders that lead to his (or her) ship running aground

Hearts of Iron IIINaval War: Arctic CircleSupreme Ruler: Cold War

In a dinghy in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
    Jan, any chance we could see more realistic ASROCS? I was kinda disappointed to see that they simply teleport a torp to the target...

Quote Originally Posted by nimitz98 View Post
    Jan, any chance we could see more realistic ASROCS? I was kinda disappointed to see that they simply teleport a torp to the target...
    Maybe.

+ Reply to Thread