• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Luzertof

Private
69 Badges
Aug 6, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Semper Fi
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities in Motion
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
1) Sometimes the "return to base"-order isn't followed by the units. I noticed it decreases the amounts of situations this happens when I first give a simple navigation order ("attack this foe -> navigate to random_place -> return to base) instead of going from "attack this foe -> return to base".

2) Sometimes aircraft squadron split and there is no way to get them back together. Solution: Send them back to base. With split I don't mean something like "not extremely near to each other". More like one flies from Iceland to South and one flies to the East. Highest speed has shown they won't regroup, orders can only given to individual units. If I have to guess I would say the group-function broke.

3) AI doesn't use the ship defences well. Short-Range SAM generally have a problem of not enough time to start and turn on the target to be able to intercept. In fact I found RAM useless because it can't spit out rockets nearly as fast enough as it should be able to do so in reality. Might be linked to the general problem of weapons are only started when enemy enters the range zone while in reality this should be the moment where they meet.

4) I can't use Flares, Chaff etc. in general. The symbols are always grey/not clickable. This might be a problem in front of the screen, however, I haven't found an answer to this yet. No difference in selecting a whole group or a single unit. Only "special action" that works is sonarbuoy, so I'm familiar with the concept.

5) Aircraft sometimes decide to not follow my rules (no jamming by enemy, Singleplayer). I tell them to attack with AMRAAM a target in range and front of them but they simply do nothing. Repeatedly clicking solves this problem mostly, however, sometimes these lost seconds would have saved other units.

6) Enemy aircraft start rockets exactly in my directions even if they fly away from me. For example: Not yet attacked T-50 is on it's way back to the airfield or whatever, I start an AMRAAM and seconds after - the T-50 still flying it's way - two Adder are on their way, started from exactly this aircraft. Neither the aircraft nor the rockets turned. It's just like the T-50 (and all other AI) aircraft have rockets that start backwards.

7) When I order aircraft to return to base, they speed up. Sometimes this cause them to crash because they ran out of fuel. I use my aircraft mostly at slow or half speed, return to base seems always to make them cruise.

That's what came to my mind yet. Nothing very crucial, but all a bit annoying and stealing slowy fun from this extremely great game.

Edit: 7) added

Upvote 0
1. RTB should always return to base. If there is an issue here, we have not seen it before.

2. Select the non-main units and click "return to formation" button. Planes may get separate orders if you have only one unit and not the group selected (initial grey button selects group) when giving orders (sometimes inadvertently), if they engage separate targets, and especially if one or several of the planes try to evade attacks in separate directions. I tend to keep fighters in groups of max 2, mostly single, even if it req a lot of micro.

3. There is a problem with short range SAMs yes.

4. Flare/chaff is only automatic.

5. We have not experienced that. I assume it is in range.

6. If you play Russian missions you can confirm that they need to turn to shoot AA like other aircraft. AI units do not fire when returning to base, ever. The missiles probably came from other undetected units nearby.

7. Return to base is always at cruise speed, defined as the most fuel-efficient speed.

Hello Jan,

I'm now in the Russian campaign.

1) This does sometimes not work. I firstly thought it is maybe a problem of high load, but it happened to me in the first Russian Mission with only a few units active.

2) Works. Thanks.

5) Yeah, of course, but this also happened when it was just about navigation.

A 5)+ I noticed: When my aircraft are engaged by bandits and I tell them not run away just to fly directly to the incoming missile, the AI always removes my command.

6) NATO Eurofighter fleeing from my Su-35 shot, while time was 1:1, an AMRAAM without turning. I'm absolutely sure it hasn't turned to shoot at my aircraft. Same thing happened in the NATO campaign as I told.

7) As said I noticed sometimes aircraft crashed when returning to base at cruise speed. If I set them to a slower speed manually, they arrived. Noticed this when I forgot to slow down all aircraft and some crashed.

Thanks Jan :)

I hope you see this as a good and friendly critic for a very nice game with the purpose to make it just better.

There's another thing I ran into, see attached screenshot:
(at first, I modified the mission a bit - more units for both sides - Russia Mission 4. However, this happened in the unmodified mission, too.)

The enemy is sending Tomahawk missiles. I ordered my ships not to fight automatically(as you can see).

When the enemy rockets are in range, I manually target the whole group and the AK-130 cannon. When I now click the enemy rockets, my ships launch continuously S-300 rockets. Most funny thing is - the cannon isn't used even I click like a berserk.

That is problematic.
1) I ordered them to use the AK-130 cannon.
2) On this short range it would much more useful to send SAM-9 against the enemy.
3) The AI wastes all my cool S-300 mid/long-range SAMs.

That's basically the most annoying thing. I see the S-300 is more powerful than SAM-9, however, it shouldn't be wasted. Plus the bug the cannons don't shoot at all.

Due to the too long turn-around and lock-on time for the S-300 on the short ranges, most Tomahawk had to be shot down with CIWS anyways.......

Attachments

• NWAC 2012-04-16 21-41-41-07.png
    NWAC 2012-04-16 21-41-41-07.png
    755,4 KB · Views: 46
Another one, but very minor and doesn't affect gameplay yet as far as I noticed.

In the "naval war arctic circle/BattleSet/NWAC/" folder, FixedwingAircraft.nwunits, the "Air superiority (R-37)" for carrier operations (T-50K PAK FA) is not defined, so it's not possible to change starting load to that and maybe ingame load (haven't tested this yet). However, fix is easy:

<WeaponLoadModifyer>none</WeaponLoadModifyer>

must be changed to

<WeaponLoadModifyer>LongRangeWeapon</WeaponLoadModifyer>

(line 6621)

Without the modifier instead the long-range missile R-37 always the R-77 are equipped.

Luzertof,

If your unit is set on "fire on all cleared targets" it will itself shoot like crazy on incoming missiles. To control exactly which weapon is used against each target, you will have to set it to hold fire and launch each weapon manually.

Setting Air superiority (R-37) on the T50 works as designed. We have it for the AI in one of the missions (C01S11), and it killed an awacs plane for me yesterday.

Hello JanH,

as you can see in the screenshot the whole fleet is set to hold fire (the most right button of the three, correct?), the AK-130 is chosen and, as you can see in the screenshot, too, there are S-300 on the way.

But even when on hold fire the ships should not waste S-300 when there are endless amounts of other SAM are available with shorter and matching range.

About the R-37. I can only tell you that I ran into this problem (it was not possible to equip the PAK FA K-version in general as starting weapon with R-37) and how I fixed the problem (editing line 6621 to match the aircraft carrier version with the land based version).
It also makes sense. The main definition is "AirSuperiority", what means R-74 and R-77. To reach R-37 you need the Load Modifyer "LongRangeWeapon". If this Load Modifyer is missing, like it happened to the PAK FA K-version in the original files, it can't be equipped with R-37.

I'm sorry if I haven't described it very clear.

The PAK FA land based version (non-K) had the correct Modifyer.

That's the original code, line 6621 involved:
6618 <UnitClassWeaponLoads>
6619 <Name>Air superiority (R-37)</Name>
6620 <WeaponLoadType>AirSuperiority</WeaponLoadType>
6621 <WeaponLoadModifyer>None</WeaponLoadModifyer>

The fixed code:
6618 <UnitClassWeaponLoads>
6619 <Name>Air superiority (R-37)</Name>
6620 <WeaponLoadType>AirSuperiority</WeaponLoadType>
6621 <WeaponLoadModifyer>LongRangeWeapon</WeaponLoadModifyer>

The main definition is "AirSuperiority", what means R-74 and R-77. To reach R-37 you need the Load Modifyer "LongRangeWeapon".
Right. This is how it was designed. Sorry if I was unclear.

It is a bit surprising if units shoot automatically while on "hold fire". I tested this yd, and no missiles were shot, but I'll look into it and see if there are situations where the order is ignored (heck, I would, if there were incoming missiles).

Found a weird bug while playing the Sitting Ducks tutorial. I sent a Taranis armed with LMM's to attack the northeast radar site, but once it entered within weapons range, it just stopped and froze. This was a fixed wing aircraft frozen in mid-air, and apparently while frozen it didn't consume fuel. I gave it the attack order a few more times, but the plane wouldn't do anything. I tried moving it elsewhere, but the plane would just inch along a short distance before freezing up again. Giving it move orders didn't cancel the bugged attack order, and instead seemed to queue the move order after the attack order....and since it wouldn't actually carry out the attack order it just stayed stuck there. Giving it a RTB order sent it to 100% bingo fuel, though it still remained stuck in place. It was only after I had a Tu-22M blast the radar site into rubble with a pack of land attack missiles did the Taranis, seemingly satisfied that its target was no more, get freed up to fly back to base.

Last edited: