+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic Vs Monarchy

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by WeissRaben View Post
    ...no, wait. You can reelect your ruler until he dies of old age. ňo
    Nope actualy you can reelect him only one time i think...

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwanow View Post
    Nope actualy you can reelect him only one time i think...
    Nope, you can re-elect somebody for as many terms as you want. Three, four, five, doesn't matter. Although with five-term leaders who rule until death, you are basically a monarchy anyway...
    Nationality: British
    Religion: Sikh
    Ideology: Some nebulous liberal nonsense
    Issues: Civil Rights, Environmentalism, technology
    Current Occupation: University Student! Upgrade!

MODS: CK2 High-res Mountains ¦ EU3 Deg Tegh Fateh (suspended) ¦ Painterly CK2 ¦ EUIV Visual Enhancement Mod

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

I was never able to have elected ruler for longer than 8 years... or maybe i am wrong?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Blog Entries
    I was never able to have elected ruler for longer than 8 years... or maybe i am wrong?
    I've had four term rulers before, but perhaps the system is different for different sorts of republic.
    Nationality: British
    Religion: Sikh
    Ideology: Some nebulous liberal nonsense
    Issues: Civil Rights, Environmentalism, technology
    Current Occupation: University Student! Upgrade!

MODS: CK2 High-res Mountains ¦ EU3 Deg Tegh Fateh (suspended) ¦ Painterly CK2 ¦ EUIV Visual Enhancement Mod

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

You are, this system would only make sense for the US and even for them it would be doubtful, no Idea when they actually included it in the constitution but Gerogie could certainly have gone on...

I think there was a hidden rule where you could not elect someone twice continuisly after that ruler won the first election, but as an administrative republic I did manage to elect a 9/9/9 ruler for 16 years, hehe.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by stnikolauswagne View Post
    You are, this system would only make sense for the US and even for them it would be doubtful, no Idea when they actually included it in the constitution but Gerogie could certainly have gone on...
    The U.S. didn't pass a two term limit until after FDR won 4 times so well after the time span of the game and monarchy in my opinion is the best due to PUs
    Player Kills-3

Experience is the teacher of all things. - Julius Caesar
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a man with a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by chals View Post
    Its for life, so same thing as Monacy, just cant inheriet, but form RM.. No Legemicy thou. like BAD and BAD from both, unlike IRL where is was GREAT.
    I don't understand, noble republic are great. Yes you haven't legitimacy, but you have election and you can PU without problem. Personally, I go with the roleplay, I choose the system which fits the best with my country

I can say with 100% certainty that you can elect a ruler over and over until he dies. There are no term limits in EU3 DW. Maybe those who are saying otherwise have just had bad luck with their best republican leaders.

There was also a tread on this a couple of weeks back. I believe the conclusion was that if a republic and a monarchy both have rulers with the same stats, the monarchy will be better. However, if those stats aren't good, you can ditch the guy if you're a republic and get a new one elected after four years, whereas you can be stuck with the same king for decades. Also, a 3/3/3 ruler isn't possible for a republic, monarchies get PU's, republics don't get regencies.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    Sometimes I switch to a republic if my monarchy is doing badly, with low legitimacy, or an incredibly bad heir, with an old king.

Sometimes I also switch several times during my games. I know it's not ideal, but it works for me.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

I NEVER switch to a monarchy from a republic, but I'll certainly consider the other way around-- especially if I'm playing a trade-heavy game like Holland -> Netherlands.

Second Lieutenant Some Georgian's Avatar
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIImpireMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV

The main bonus of monarchies(IMO) is the Imperialism casus beli which only 2 republics get Republican Dictatorship is one of them but it doesn't get elections and Rev.Republic but it's hard to get a Rev.Republic but if you do I suggest to not switch from it because Imperialism CB+Elections+0.6 boost to morale=Epic

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Georgian View Post
    The main bonus of monarchies(IMO) is the Imperialism casus beli which only 2 republics get Republican Dictatorship is one of them but it doesn't get elections and Rev.Republic but it's hard to get a Rev.Republic but if you do I suggest to not switch from it because Imperialism CB+Elections+0.6 boost to morale=Epic
    Imperialism is worthless that late in the game, where you have Revolution and Counter Revolution, annexation for 1 infamy per province, HELL YEA

Success depends on forethought videonfan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

How do you get revolutionary governments anyway?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Does anyone know how bureaucratic despotism works? Wiki says there's no elections... and yet its also called a republic. Does that mean you get a monarch for life, but you can't enter into personal unions? Is legitimacy an issue?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by ZappyVlaams View Post
    There was also a tread on this a couple of weeks back. I believe the conclusion was that if a republic and a monarchy both have rulers with the same stats, the monarchy will be better. However, if those stats aren't good, you can ditch the guy if you're a republic and get a new one elected after four years, whereas you can be stuck with the same king for decades. Also, a 3/3/3 ruler isn't possible for a republic, monarchies get PU's, republics don't get regencies.
    They may say you can't get a 3/3/3 ruler in a republic but i have done it and it really sucked for those eight years and i was baffled because i thought you couldn't do it
    Player Kills-3

Experience is the teacher of all things. - Julius Caesar
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a man with a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Bureaucratic despotism IS a republic , where your ruler get 'elected' for life so you'll have to choose only once.
    but it's pretty lousy compared to constitutionnal anyway.
    no more unfinished IN AAR's

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by videonfan View Post
    How do you get revolutionary governments anyway?
    To become the revolution target and adopt a revolutionary republic government, you need an event to fire which requires you to have your capital in Europe, govt. tech 53, 10+ provinces, and the "revolution" flag, and for no current revolution target to exist. Getting the revolution flag requires an event to fire which requires you to be at peace and have a non-constitutional non-revolutionary non-theocratic government, 6+ WE, negative prestige, and 5+ provinces.

To become a revolutionary empire, you have to be a revolutionary republic.
    Nothing scares infantry like tanks that can see them. Nothing scares tank crews like infantry they can't see.

If you think someone's trolling, PM a moderator.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSword of the Stars500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Overall Monarchies are more powerful than Republics - legitimacy provides massive bonuses, and of course PUs if you make use of them. That being said, in certain cases Republic can be tremendously valuable. This is especially true if you need to Westernize: while a monarchy might get lucky and get the right stats on a ruler, there's no guarantee of when or even if that will happen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast