+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic Vs Monarchy

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries

Republic Vs Monarchy

Lately I've been thinking, which of the government types is better.

Personally I prefer monarchies, Legitimacy isn't very hard to manage and it gives great bonuses. Like -3 revolt risk, -10% stability cost. And +1 tolerance to each religion, all great. And also being able to get into personal unions is also very powerful.

Discuss

Philosopher and History Freak warcry's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I understand the appeal of republics. I really like the option to get rid of retarded rules and no legitimacy problems, however i do like legitimacy bonus and the chance to get PU. Its not that hard to get max cultural tradition and that dude that gives legitimacy bonus.

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka

Blog Entries
    And also, for me it's never been a problem getting a ruler killed off, just make him a general, and he'll automatically die off within 10 years. And there are plenty of heirs, the pop them out if you know what I mean.

What about Noble Republics?

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingMeSoftly View Post
    What about Noble Republics?
    Its for life, so same thing as Monacy, just cant inheriet, but form RM.. No Legemicy thou. like BAD and BAD from both, unlike IRL where is was GREAT.
    Jesus...hmm.. Lover of my soul :-)

Restoration-of-Charlemagne-(MMU)-from-Bergyndy ARR

its not for life, its for 8 years then you can pick a new guy.....

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionMarch of the EaglesVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by chals View Post
    Its for life, so same thing as Monacy, just cant inheriet, but form RM..
    Noble Republics have eight-year terms. It's Republican Dictatorship and Bureaucratic Dictatorship that have Presidents-for-life.
    If you think someone's trolling, PM a moderator.

Ask your quick modding questions in the appropriate place

Monarchies have PU's.
    /thread

Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grommile View Post
    Noble Republics have eight-year terms. It's Republican Dictatorship and Bureaucratic Dictatorship that have Presidents-for-life.
    Ahh.. I only play MMU, and there its for life.. Nice to know.. :-) Cant even chose what kind of "king" you want like all else republics

Quote Originally Posted by Swistaczek View Post
    Monarchies have PU's.
    /thread
    Quite right. Personal unions are so powerful, it makes putting up with a 3/3/3 king once in a while worth it. The capability to diplomatically vassalize people and be elected HRE are also points in monarchy's favor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FreezingShock View Post
    Quite right. Personal unions are so powerful, it makes putting up with a 3/3/3 king once in a while worth it. The capability to diplomatically vassalize people and be elected HRE are also points in monarchy's favor.
    you shoud try MMU, then you know why 3/3/3 is beyond BAD, and why Rep. RULES over Monarchy, but in Vanilla, MAnarchy´s RUles, no doubt about it.. unless your doing it for some unike reason, like Rev. Empire

The BB reduction bonus from Enlightened Despotism is too good to pass on if you like expanding, IMO. Absolute Monarchy is fun too for the freedom from slider restrictions.

I don't absolutely prefer monarchies over republics or the reverse. I use whichever is situationally best for the nation and situation I am playing at the time. If there is a situation in which I need rulers with certain stats I tend to favor republics. If I am trying to expand rapidly with minimal warfare I tend to favor monarchies.

Last game I played as the Byzantines I just got too fed up with monarchies. I just don't like bad rulers (and I always make them generals, still no luck getting rid of them quickly) and regencies, things I usually completely forget about when playing a republic. Expansion is slower as a republic, yes, but usually I don't expand much in Europe anyway: I limit myself to my culture group (Nationalism CB) and areas I can conquer through missions. Legitemacy is nice I suppose. I don't care for personal unions, inherting a big player like France takes all the fun out of the game. I also don't care much for the HRE, whenever I become the emperor myself I try to get rid of the title as fast as possible.

On Probation
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

The appeal of getting much better rulers in republics is very great, because (1) High diplo rulers make boundary dispute events fire like crazy and (2) high admin rulers makes it harder to get the dreaded overextension modifier. I'd say staying as republic is good for the first 100 years or so when PU's are not something to rely upon. I'd probably go as far as waiting for absolute monarchy before switching.

Blog Entries
    I also agree that switching to a noble republic or any republic is very powerful at the beginning of the game, just because you're a little weaker, and boundary disputes are awesome!

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Monarchy, not matter what forms have legitimacy. Legitimacy gives -4 RR, +1 growth rate, -10 stability cost and +10 infamy limit if you got it at 100. Also few decisions(example militia act, which is pretty must decision) are tied to monarchy. Also it gives you the ability to PU some countries. Also, Empire gives +0.25 to morale, and absolute monarchy gives +5% discipline. Also admin monarchy gives you +10% production(quite nice boost, still i like absolute monarchy more anyway)

Things republics give you - Elections. Good way to change ruler when he is bad, but you won't keep him if he is high skilled for more than 8 years(and monarchs can). Also, Admin Republic give you +10 TE, and Merchant Republic give you trade leagues.

So weights is more in favour for monarchy.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Swistaczek View Post
    Monarchies have PU's.
    /thread
    Noble republics can get PUs as well. I got a few myself. Of course it's harder since you don't know who has low legitimacy, but it is possible.
    Nationality: British
    Religion: Sikh
    Ideology: Some nebulous liberal nonsense
    Issues: Civil Rights, Environmentalism, technology
    Current Occupation: University Student! Upgrade!

MODS: CK2 High-res Mountains ¦ EU3 Deg Tegh Fateh (suspended) ¦ Painterly CK2 ¦ EUIV Visual Enhancement Mod

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of Nations500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by Iwanow View Post
    Monarchy, not matter what forms have legitimacy. Legitimacy gives -4 RR, +1 growth rate, -10 stability cost and +10 infamy limit if you got it at 100. Also few decisions(example militia act, which is pretty must decision) are tied to monarchy. Also it gives you the ability to PU some countries. Also, Empire gives +0.25 to morale, and absolute monarchy gives +5% discipline. Also admin monarchy gives you +10% production(quite nice boost, still i like absolute monarchy more anyway)

Things republics give you - Elections. Good way to change ruler when he is bad, but you won't keep him if he is high skilled for more than 8 years(and monarchs can). Also, Admin Republic give you +10 TE, and Merchant Republic give you trade leagues.

So weights is more in favour for monarchy.
    ...no, wait. You can reelect your ruler until he dies of old age. ňo

The same ruler can indeed be reelected until he dies.

I also like republics for colonizing: high admin stats mean you'll have less failed colonists. Also, when someone suddenly declares war, you can elect a military candidate and have a good chance of getting a good general.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast