• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So can anyone answer my original question of where I can buy the disk version of this game in the USA? Is the disk
Version available in the US or in brick and mortar stores as promised. if not, does anyone have an ETA for this to
happen? Please don't ask me why I just don't download from Steam. This is not what I asked. I am resubmitting this
Question because I do not get a direct answer of my question which is: WHERE CAN I BUY THE DISK IN THE US.

Thank you very much. Now I know to stop looking. I feel kinda letdown by Paradox though.
Probably a poor business decision though as I only found out about this game by accident.
A lot of people buy games by browsing the store shelves. They also rather have a physical copy
than digital where they have to rely on someone else to keep their original safe. If they would
have just even distibuted just to the US Military Exchanges (our military brick and mortar stores)
I think they could have shown a profit. Oh well back to Fleet Command.:(

Alas, it's very hard to get any boxes into stores. The PC section of any remaining brick and mortar game store is ridiculously small.
Even Wii games get more shelf space than PC games. Really, the only place I can get boxed PC games in shops where I live is in this trade in shop in town. And they tend to be really old and unwanted games.

I run a game store in the UK. AS well as selling to UK customers, i've sold a few to boxed games to customers in Norway, Finland and Italy. All have contacted me telling me that they are region locked in Steam and unplayable. So if you are buying from Play or other retailers - be aware that the game may not work too. I appreciate region locking exists to prevent cheap copies from Russia working in the more expensive EU countries.. but my stock is official, boxed, EU/UK stock from a mainstream distributor. They should work.

Does anyone else have experience of this problem? Also, can a developer/admin point me in the appropriate direction of someone I can speak to in private about this.

Thank you.

James

JanH, why did you go on Steam? PI used to be very strict about not annoying customers with dreadful DRM-routines. I saw on GamersGate, that there was a demo available, but I was redirected to Steam. So far I have spent an hour just getting Steam to work properly. And now I have spent another hour waiting for the demo to download, because of my crappy Internet connection. Why can't I download your game from Gamersgates servers? Like I do with all my other paradox games? I really don't care about the demo, I want to buy a copy of the game. Two actually. But not through Steam, if I can avoid it. I don't want to be told that I cannot play my game because Steam is busy updating someone else's software.

So I am one of the few people who would rather have a disc. Why can't I download your game from Gamersgate?

Okay, the demo is on my hd, let's see what you have made for us...

JanH gave a rather long answer to this a few months back:

Pluses of Steam:
* Tried and tested API for online gaming and much more, with services that would cost millions of NOK to develop for each independent developer - available for free
* Immediate, automatic updates and patching
* Integrated game verification and cheat detection
* Direct contact with the world's largest online gamer base, with a lot of social media features, ladders and matchmaking. Even if we created a similar service (which we can't possibly afford to do), you'd have to sign up somewhere to find other people to play, and then every game would need its own service for you to sign up to.
* The easiest game installation process in the known universe
* Once you own the game, a crash is no problem, and switching to a new PC is no problem. Just re-download and re-install. You can have it installed on as many PCs as you want.
* Sharing of savegames between different locales, if you want to (and you will not lose them in a crash, as above).
* Achievements. Yeah, we're suckers for them even if we don't like to admit it
* Lots of free data feedback to developers: what play modes and maps do gamers like, what are they doing in the game, etc, etc. This makes it possible to give players more of what the majority want, not what the loudest people want - and god bless the loudest people
* Direct, immediate feedback on crashes/bugs. If Steam detects several identical crashes, we are told about it immediately, so we can fix it immediately without relying on gamers reporting it accurately and immediately
* Direct sharing of mods and other user-created content with the entire community. You create a mod, you share it and get others to play and comment. Modders may even get paid for mods.
* Thin, memory-effective non-intrusive client

& loads more

[...]

Thanks for the answer, I imagined it was for such reasons. Well, I shall spend my money on something else, then. Too bad, now I have played the demo I actually like the game a lot. But I am not going to pay for anything that I can only access intermittently, ie. when Steam deems me worthy of speaking to. Perhaps there is a cracked version out there, I'll go take a look.

And don't worry, dear Norwegian brothers, if I find a copy that works without Steam, I will pay you for the trouble developing it. I can always buy a game on gamersgate and then not download it. :)

edit:

quote: * Once you own the game, a crash is no problem, and switching to a new PC is no problem. Just re-download and re-install. You can have it installed on as many PCs as you want.

This is not true. I switched to a new PC and was rejected by Steam. It took me hours to get the service to just recognize me. "Steam is busy", "Steam cannot access server", messages like that. The offending term is the little word "just" in the sentence "Just re-download and re-install".

Last edited:
Okay, I played the demo, this game seems to be just what I have been looking for a very long time. So I thought, wtf, I'll download it from Steam anyway. I know I can play off-line once I have downloaded the game, that is how I manage to play the Total War series. But right now I just want to download NVAC, and guess what: Steam is not responding.

I made a full Steam reinstall yesterday, and was allowed to dl the demo.

Today: No such luck - "Error: Could not connect to Steam Network". I can't even play the demo. I'll file this as a bug report on Steam support, but I don't believe anything will come of it, they'll claim something is wrong with my Internet connection. I know it is crappy and slow, but I am actually right now communicating via the web, so my connection is obviously not not working. I am pretty sure that I can connect to gamersgate and dl some other games I have stored there, never had a problem with their servers.

I'll report back if/when I get through to Steam.