• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dragoongfa

Recruit
43 Badges
Apr 14, 2012
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • For the Motherland
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Cities in Motion
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
After the last patch I have found myself under constant attacks from pirates in my game, for 8 consecutive turns I have been attacked by pirates in one of two particular systems.

Is this intended and I am just unlucky, or have I stumped onto a bug. It is annoying for me to sit and fight a 10 minute battle against pirates every turn, I don't want to lose more than the condemned freighter every damn turn.

I had a spat of games where every other turn one of my three starting systems would be bombarded by asteroids. It seems that the % chances of these sort of events happening have been increased to somewhat stupid levels.

They are treated as random encounters based solely on freighters, if you have freighters Pirate attacks will happen at random occasions, the problem is that after the latest patch pirate attacks are all too frequent and since the way freighters are treated (no player control to just tell them to retreat and thus the pirates almost always get a kill) my trade income has plummeted.

Well damn, built 5 Police Cutters on my trading planets and the Pirate raids stopped altogether, not one in 20 turns. If I had known that earlier I would have expanded at least twice as much in the 100 turns I am in my current game.

yesh, i figured that out too. Though, knowing ahead of time woulda been nice; bc it alters the starting strategy somewhat.

Old way- i build the civ stations as quickly as possible

New way - get some police cutters built before building the freighters. I wasted so much resources rebuilding freighters, etc;

Haven't checked if we can scrap aging police cutters for more up to date ones.

I have similar problem, but in addition to pirates, I'm attacked also by swarm. Every turn I have 3-5 battles with them. What should I build?

You mean the Silycoid swarm?

The swarm is not a random encounter per se, it doesn't spawn randomly. Like in the previous game you have to find the nest and kill it in order to stop them.

The more freighters you have in a system the more police cutters you need to fend off the pirates. I've found a ratio of 1:1 cutters to freighters up to 10 cutters essentially eliminates pirate attacks. Major trade hubs are very vulnerable to this sort of thing but the police cutters are handy against random encouters, pirates, slavers, etc. Even enmasse with a combat fleet they can put some hurt on the AI.

-joe

I've never seen a police cutter show up in combat. When I build one, they're automatically set to the side like how freighters are. They show up on the list to repair, so I know they exist, but they never participate in battles that I can tell. Do I need to do something different?