• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(475334)

Corporal
1 Badges
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
Hi,

Don't think I've seen a thread on this but figured we could gather our most wanting features that we feel missing in the game so far. No worries devs, it's not like we're expecting this to be implemented next week ;). Though, compiling a list might get our wishes come true in the future.. :p

- More advanced multiplayer features
* Open and Lock (password protected) multiplayer lobby for the creator
* Mission editor (set up your own battles)
* Co-op multiplayer; 2vs2/3vs3

- Better description on the different units when hovering the mousemarker over the unit.
- Better description on the different weapons when hoovering the mousemarker over the weapon. Such as.. can the torpedo be used against submarine? Can the rocket be used against boats? People who knows these things in RL might not need it, but the rookies such as me.. :p well i need it...

- Aliens and spaceships (no, not really.. just kidding) :D

Anything else you guys want? :)

Perhaps more for the suggestions forum but one thing I'd like to have would be limited quantities of ordance aboard ships, eliminating the "shuttle bombing/missiling" of targets until they sink.
The average nation only has a few hundred of each type of advanced missile like AMRAAMs, not to mention anti-ship missiles, and an aircraft carrier has even more limited stocks, especially of larger weapons.
A frigate probably doesn't carry more than a dozen torpedoes and maybe a single load of four Sea Skuas.

Perhaps more for the suggestions forum ....

What suggestions forum I cant see one? Anyway, not that I don't like the game as is, but -

My shorter term wishlist:
1. Saving in mission/autosave
2. Ability to continue past end of mission and/or delay to end of mission screen appearance
3. More fluid zooming on the map or more steps of zoom at highest magnification levels.
4. Mission editor (like Operation Flashpoint/ARMAs editor which is superb - allowing for some randomisation of unit location etc)
5. Semi-random mission generator - chooses enemies depending on players initial settings and type of mission
6. More realistic AMRAAM /plane / missile behavior (no sudden unit movements, no turning around of AMRAAMs, no overlapping of missiles)
7. Ability to strike surfaced subs with surface ordinance
8. Fixed multi-player.

My longer term wishlist:
9. More realistic launch/firing animations for all units
10. Better sounds and some atmospheric sound, ship/plane commos, etc
11. Longer missions/semi-dynamic campaigns with linked missions affected by user actions
12. Dynamic war campaign with resupply effects/rear units/surrendering, etc
13. More types of helicopters/subs
14. Context sensitive right click menus especially info panels for units
15. Encyclopaedia of game technology and strategies

That would about cover it :blush:

Good thread..

1. Mission Editor.
2. Naval Bases (Repairs, Re-Supplying Weapons)
3. Transport Planes with Paratroopers to capture airfields.
4. Land based Anti-Ship Missiles
5. Land based Radar Stations (except Airfields)
6. Semi-Dynamic mission series where losses are final.

Good thread..

2. Naval Bases (Repairs, Re-Supplying Weapons)

Actually land bases are not so important anymore, more important would be UNREP (underway replenishment).
And while we're at it, limited fuel for ships and submarines.

Actually land bases are not so important anymore, more important would be UNREP (underway replenishment).
And while we're at it, limited fuel for ships and submarines.

I agree with the limited fuel for vessels, however theres always a need for Naval Bases for numerous reasons including repairs of damage substained in battle. they just dont play as a crucial role as they used to do.

I agree with the limited fuel for vessels, however theres always a need for Naval Bases for numerous reasons including repairs of damage substained in battle. they just dont play as a crucial role as they used to do.

Naval Bases might make for good targets and replenishment sources, but the repairs are probably waay out of the timeframe of any scenario. Unless youre planning a multiweek scenario, theres very little you can do to damage on a modern warship short of replacing external bits like radar dishes etc. Any internal or waterline damage will take months to fix.

I just played the demo, but I felt that some things should be added:
- pause function
- the ability, to scroll on the map via moving the cursor to the side of the screen, the way it works in every strategy game since the 90s
- save function (not needed in the demo, but in longer missions not having one would be quite frustrating)
- mission editor

1: Save during scenarios and missions (lack is almost a game failure for me due to calls upon time)
2: Land based missile systems (essential for combat near Russian coast and also, for the future, in the Mediterranean)

Very short list!! So obviously an excellent game.

I'm enjoying the game alot, but there are a few things missing to make it even more fun and accessable to us 8-5 day jobbers with kids. This is all Single Player Based stuff.
1. Mission Save/Load. There are time I may have 10-15 minutes to play here and there.
2. Pause button that allows for orders to be made. RTS or not, the CPU will always issue a million orders to my one.
3. Multiple goal levels for missions and the ability to play out a mission once the initial goals are met. I want to see how the rest of the fight turns out.
4. A setup phase before the mission to set emcon and loadouts based on the briefing.
5. An option to turn on/off various range circles. By platform type and sensor/weapon would be awesome.

Odd Bugs/Glitches:
1. Aircraft appear to go to bingo fuel after a few seconds of afterburner.
2. I've never seen a "found" contact get "lost". I would hazzard a guess that once a unit is located it never falls off the radar unless it lands.
3. When dropping sonar bouys in a pattern the aircraft will diver from it path to the last drop and procede to reverse its way up the chain of bouy locations

2. I've never seen a "found" contact get "lost". I would hazzard a guess that once a unit is located it never falls off the radar unless it lands.
3. When dropping sonar bouys in a pattern the aircraft will diver from it path to the last drop and procede to reverse its way up the chain of bouy locations

I've had contacts disappear once I switched off the helicopter's active radar.

When drawing out a square the first point you click on the map is the first waypoint the helicopter will use. So always make sure you first click to draw a square nearest to the aircraft and drag it away from it.

Cap'n Darwin,
1. Noted loud and clear. No promises/timeline but we hear you.
2. Active Pause - deciding against was a design decision. We may revise; we'll see.
3. See 1.
4. That is a rather large extension, but it's something we discussed even before launch as being a very cool feature.
5. You can already select weapons to see their range lines individually.

1. Planes in this game actually can go longer on afterburner than is realistic.
2. Found contacts get lost once they haven't been detected for a set amount of time. Happens all the time; see the third tab on the mission info panel. Try the Sonar tutorial and you'll see that clearly as you turn the sub around. You may not experience it so often with aircraft in campaign since planes tend to turn on active radar when themselves detected, and they don't last enough for it to get quiet enough so they turn them off.
3. Not sure I understand that one.

Jan,

Thanks for the taking the time to respond to my post and the others. Not an easy job. Let me clarify a couple of items better.

For #5 Range Circles: I'm looking at the ability to turn them on and have them persistant. For example if I select AAW for Aircraft I will see the max engagement range for my best AA missile. This will allow my to better gauge intercepts and effective ranges of my platforms quickly versus having to selct each and then select each weapon/system.

For the sonar bouys and way points issue I'll go with an example. I have a P8 heading due south. I plot to drop a bouy 15km south of the plane then another bouy 15km south of the first then I select a drop point 15km east of that and then one more 15km east of that one making a large "L". I would expect the aircraft to go down south first then east to do the "L" as plotted. What I get is the aircraft veers south-east to the final point of the "L" and works west then north. Backwards to the drop plots. Hopefully that is more clear.