• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

vonhaubitz

Second Lieutenant
3 Badges
Mar 6, 2011
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • 500k Club
Does anyone know whether there's a a way to change the time (=reducing it) a vehicle would wait at a stop? I am talking about a value in one of the scripts that would control this habit. If there are a lot of people waiting at a stop, the vehicle would often wait almost forever for just one passenger until every available place of the vehicle is taken. This can be quite annoying since it creates a traffic jam with multiple vehicles of the same line piling up behind the one sleeping at the stop.

If you want less passengers in each vehicle, you can use smaller vehicles.
Lowering the driver's salary will make him do a "bad" job and leave the station too soon.

Does anyone know whether there's a a way to change the time (=reducing it) a vehicle would wait at a stop? I am talking about a value in one of the scripts that would control this habit. If there are a lot of people waiting at a stop, the vehicle would often wait almost forever for just one passenger until every available place of the vehicle is taken. This can be quite annoying since it creates a traffic jam with multiple vehicles of the same line piling up behind the one sleeping at the stop.

That might be happening due to vehicle spacing system.
If there are 2 buses near each other, the bus in the back will use the station to wait more time and increase the space between them, balancing the distance in the line.
I'm not sure but I think the opposite also happens. If the bus is at the station and another bus is coming behind, this bus will leave the station faster than normal.

Also the game runs slow, like in real time. It does takes some time to stop, to passengers get in and out and leave again. Specially if you have old ladies boarding. Just be patient with them, could be your grandmother.
That cannot be the cause of crowed stations. If you have crowed stations search for another solution: increase bus capacity, divide the route in 2 or more lines, change the type of transportation (tram for example).
Choosing the optimal type of transport and the optimal vehicle (speed or capacity) is one of the game challenges.

That might be happening due to vehicle spacing system.
If there are 2 buses near each other, the bus in the back will use the station to wait more time and increase the space between them, balancing the distance in the line.
I'm not sure but I think the opposite also happens. If the bus is at the station and another bus is coming behind, this bus will leave the station faster than normal.

Also the game runs slow, like in real time. It does takes some time to stop, to passengers get in and out and leave again. Specially if you have old ladies boarding. Just be patient with them, could be your grandmother.
That cannot be the cause of crowed stations. If you have crowed stations search for another solution: increase bus capacity, divide the route in 2 or more lines, change the type of transportation (tram for example).
Choosing the optimal type of transport and the optimal vehicle (speed or capacity) is one of the game challenges.

I think you guys are talking about two different things.
The problem claimed by vonhaubitz is happening to me right now (it's not the first time, but currently i'm unable to handle it).

After a huge improvement of one of my metro lines (i've added like 4 stations), an interchange station (one stop of line 1) started to be overcrowded. Nothing i can normally handle, there were like 300 people, two new trains would be enough. But, as told, it was an interchange station, and after the improvements it became the main metro line, so people were increasing fastly. I can count an average increase of 30/35 people per (game) day. Still manageable.
However, when the first train reached the station, it happened. 192 of 200 were inside the train (within 2 game-days), for remaining 8 people the game spent almost 8 game-days, so for 8 people the station crowd increased by 200. Especially last one (when the train was 199/200) spent a lot of time.
It creates traffic jams, my metro stop have reached 1100 people within minutes, and now i'm afraid it compromised all my game (Leipzig, 10 years), because i have, at the moment, like 5 trains (of 33) in queue waiting for that damn 1 person (199/200). When the train approachs the station, waiting people are 1100. When it leaves, waiting people are 1150. And so on.....

Is it a game bug? Is it possible to solve in some way, maybe editing some value in the scripts?

Well I don't know if its a bug, but what you described is what I said here:

The problem of crowed stations is that people come and come and come and of course you cannot have 200 people right next to the train. So a lot of people will get inside and the others that were waiting for the train far away will walk until they reach the train. And if they are old ladies that might take a lot of time.

The game runs in real time, so you have to wait for people to walk, step by step. Sure it means 8 hours in-game days, but as all simulation games of this type, the time is a separate thing from what you see.

I don't know any value in the scripts that might change that, but you can make less crowed stations to solve this problem.
If you train gets full in one load and after that there will still be people waiting at the station, do you agree with me that with some time the stations will become more and more crowed and passengers unhappy? You need to operate overcapacity always.

[-CUT-]
I don't know any value in the scripts that might change that, but you can make less crowed stations to solve this problem.
If you train gets full in one load and after that there will still be people waiting at the station, do you agree with me that with some time the stations will become more and more crowed and passengers unhappy? You need to operate overcapacity always.

Yes, but how can i operate if one train takes a lot of time to leave the station, and in the meantime crowd would increase more than before?
I already have 33 trains in a 15 stops line, with long queues because of this single overcrowded station.

I'm thinking of making a new line with almost same way.

Yes, but how can i operate if one train takes a lot of time to leave the station, and in the meantime crowd would increase more than before?
I already have 33 trains in a 15 stops line, with long queues because of this single overcrowded station.

I'm thinking of making a new line with almost same way.
33 trains with 15 stops is too much in my opinion. You shouldn't have more trains than stops on a line.
Check where most of the people on that crowded station are heading, and build a new line for them.

[...]I already have 33 trains in a 15 stops line, with long queues because of this single overcrowded station.[...]

Just because your line is popular it doesn't mean is right. Your line is probably too long and people are using it for one part of the route only. So make 2 lines or more.
If CiM has a better punishing system for angry passengers or a harder way to get reputation, this things wouldn't happen.

Maybe splitting the line in 2 parts at this station could solve the problem, if however the overcrowded station is on the middle of the line and if the 2 parts would still make money. Overcowded stations are easier to handle when they are final stations.