+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cultural and Religous Assimilation

Cultural and Religous Assimilation

I think the issue of assimilation needs to be covered better in MMtG than it has been in previous EU3 mods and vanilla.

In these, one can assimilate a province culturally and religiously, far too quickly.

Historically, assimilation was very rare in this game's timeframe. Pretty much the only major European assimilations were the Christianization of Spain, the Germanicization of the Wends, the Russian colonization of the steppes, and in Southeastern Europe certain migrations (the Romanians, Slovaks, Albanians, Sudeten Germans, etc) and conversions (the Pomaks, Bosniaks). There was no Lithuanization of Belarus, nor christianization of Northern Africa, etc. which often happen in EU3.

Instead of assuming that assimilation is common and easily modeled by one model, working from the top down so to say, it would be better to analyze each of these and by reviewing the factors and causes for these migrations/assimilations, develop a system that can accommodate these and similar changes without allowing a culture or religion switch in five years.

I hope you can model this complex phenomenon well.

Really looking forward to playing this game, no matter what you do

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2500k club
    EUIV: Call to arms event

You can convert the population in several steps, but it needs a lot of time if you want to fully convert them.
    Cultural assimilation on the other hand will be almost impossible. Your best chance is to make the culture accepted.

Ah, ok, thank you for the clarification

MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by Ataulf View Post
    I think the issue of assimilation needs to be covered better in MMtG than it has been in previous EU3 mods and vanilla.

In these, one can assimilate a province culturally and religiously, far too quickly.

Historically, assimilation was very rare in this game's timeframe. Pretty much the only major European assimilations were the Christianization of Spain, the Germanicization of the Wends, the Russian colonization of the steppes, and in Southeastern Europe certain migrations (the Romanians, Slovaks, Albanians, Sudeten Germans, etc) and conversions (the Pomaks, Bosniaks). There was no Lithuanization of Belarus, nor christianization of Northern Africa, etc. which often happen in EU3.

Instead of assuming that assimilation is common and easily modeled by one model, working from the top down so to say, it would be better to analyze each of these and by reviewing the factors and causes for these migrations/assimilations, develop a system that can accommodate these and similar changes without allowing a culture or religion switch in five years.

I hope you can model this complex phenomenon well.

Really looking forward to playing this game, no matter what you do

Very roughly speaking, and bar some very specific cases that lead to opposit results, in terms of religion you can hope to change it in decades. In terms of culture you can hope to change it over several decades up until several centuries.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

Myself
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by ubik View Post
    Very roughly speaking, and bar some very specific cases that lead to opposit results, in terms of religion you can hope to change it in decades. In terms of culture you can hope to change it over several decades up until several centuries.
    I always wandered: what about Polonisation of Vilnius and Lviv? It created a situation (that persists to this day) where there is a large Polish population not exactly connected to the rest of Polish-populated territories. Does culture spread to adjacent provinces or can it kind of skip some?
    Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou allied. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of France, master of the fates of Europe. Therefore with my explorers thou shalt see, and with my spies thou shalt hear; and never shall thou be released from vassalage until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

@Me_ So basically... centers (capitals) of dominated political units? If only such a concept (political units subject to some central government) existed / was implemented...

Islam didn't have much trouble assimilating Turkey, Persia, Egypt and all of North Africa as well as Indonesia, Malaysia and parts of the Philippines.
    It depends on how pushy you are and how malleable the conquered people are and how persuasive the religion/culture is.

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2500k club

Changing the religion and changing the culture is totally different.

HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight

Quote Originally Posted by P.T. View Post
    Islam didn't have much trouble assimilating Turkey, Persia, Egypt and all of North Africa as well as Indonesia, Malaysia and parts of the Philippines. It depends on how pushy you are and how malleable the conquered people are and how persuasive the religion/culture is.
    *Coughs*
    "[Persian] Muslim population go from approx. 40% in the mid 9th century to close to 80% by the end of 11th". Oh look. It took centuries?

"Muslims becoming a majority in Egypt by the mid-10th century" Oh. Here too?

"mass conversions from Christianity to Islam gradually took place over the course of several centuries, such that Syria had become predominantly Muslim by 1100. However, some estimates suggest that Syria may have had a Christian majority within its modern borders until the Mongol invasions of Syria between 1244 and 1323 AD." And in Syria?

At least a couple of centuries would be true even for subjugated Wends. And Muscovite Tatars. Even despite the usual forced baptisms, destruction of holy sites and all sorts of discriminating policies. Interestingly enough, might go well hand in hand with cultural assimilation. (Arabization, Turkification, Germanization, Russification.) I'm not really familiar with Reconquista, but given the above (and Asia Minor) I have a strong gut feeling that "religion swings" over there were quite gradual too.

Captain
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete

It is maybe a bit radical, but...
    is there a possibility to relocate the population?
    I mean, if i have a province, core on it, and this province has a culture which is not accepted, i could migrate some part (depends of the target province) of my province(s) with my primary culture to that province? This could be a way to accelerate cultural assimilation, but ofcourse it has cost (based on target province - non accepted culture - population).

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Konstantinos XV View Post
    *Coughs*
    "[Persian] Muslim population go from approx. 40% in the mid 9th century to close to 80% by the end of 11th". Oh look. It took centuries?

"Muslims becoming a majority in Egypt by the mid-10th century" Oh. Here too?

"mass conversions from Christianity to Islam gradually took place over the course of several centuries, such that Syria had become predominantly Muslim by 1100. However, some estimates suggest that Syria may have had a Christian majority within its modern borders until the Mongol invasions of Syria between 1244 and 1323 AD." And in Syria?

At least a couple of centuries would be true even for subjugated Wends. And Muscovite Tatars. Even despite the usual forced baptisms, destruction of holy sites and all sorts of discriminating policies. Interestingly enough, might go well hand in hand with cultural assimilation. (Arabization, Turkification, Germanization, Russification.) I'm not really familiar with Reconquista, but given the above (and Asia Minor) I have a strong gut feeling that "religion swings" over there were quite gradual too.
    Most of your examples were in a different time period than MMtG, and the Spain and Russia examples are unique and I believe they are modeled.
    You must unlearn what you have learned

Quote Originally Posted by Valdy View Post
    It is maybe a bit radical, but...
    is there a possibility to relocate the population?
    I mean, if i have a province, core on it, and this province has a culture which is not accepted, i could migrate some part (depends of the target province) of my province(s) with my primary culture to that province? This could be a way to accelerate cultural assimilation, but ofcourse it has cost (based on target province - non accepted culture - population).
    No, not possible.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by k_merse View Post
    No, not possible.
    Maybe in dlc or patch?

Quote Originally Posted by Descri View Post
    Most of your examples were in a different time period than MMtG
    Which makes <religion>ization what... easier or harder? The Russians were imposing quite ruthless Christianization policies (up to capital punishment for reverting to Islam) in the middle of the 18th century. Apparently because 1-2 centuries of previous (at times quite ruthless as well) policies weren't that successful.

SengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Maybe in dlc or patch?
    I'm pretty sure that's against Paradox policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Konstantinos XV View Post
    Which makes <religion>ization what... easier or harder? The Russians were imposing quite ruthless Christianization policies (up to capital punishment for reverting to Islam) in the middle of the 18th century. Apparently because 1-2 centuries of previous (at times quite ruthless as well) policies weren't that successful.
    You would just have a situation where every player converts his country to the most extreme degree. It's better when it's difficult and rare, it creates much more plausible results compared to straight out conversion which mostly didn't happen in the period.

You would just have a situation where every player converts his country to the most extreme degree. It's better when it's difficult and rare, it creates much more plausible results compared to straight out conversion which mostly didn't happen in the period.
    Gasp. But it's exactly what I'm advocating. With all the "it's centuries long process!!1" examples. And not a missionary working for a few decades. In reply to "Islam didn't have much trouble assimilating..." Which it did apparently.

Captain

I'm pretty sure that's against Paradox policy.
    Why? It happened before many times.

Europa Universalis IV

Why? It happened before many times.
    Forced relocation? In history or in Paradox games?

Captain

In history ofcourse. You don't have literally mean 'forced'.

Myself
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome

There's a Trail of Tears decision in Victoria 2.
    Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou allied. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of France, master of the fates of Europe. Therefore with my explorers thou shalt see, and with my spies thou shalt hear; and never shall thou be released from vassalage until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast