• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Hello everybody and welcome to the third and final development diary about the 1.05 update. This time we'll talk alot more about added content, and not just about added or improved features.

We shipped with about 2,100 events for Crusader Kings II, which is more than we've ever had in any game we've ever released, even with multiple expansions. This does not mean that we did not want to add more events, and this free update contains over 300 new events.

First of all, there is a huge event series now to create more personal relationships. The Friendships and Rivalries event series creates friends and rivals, and also gives more flavour and repercussions for good and bad opinions.

Of course, there are quite an amount of interesting traits like dwarf, hunchback and stutter. These have now been given events, some bad and some good, but most there for making your characters feel more unique.

Finally, when it comes to events, we have spent a lot of time on making sure that regencies feel different than when your character have some sort of absolute power of his or her throne. There is now several event-series that can occurr during a regency, and many of them may have some drawbacks.

One of the most popular features in CKII is the possibility to plot. It's a concept we're proud of and definitely want to add more in, whenever possible. This update contains a new plot. As an independent ruler, you tend to not have that many different types of plots to select from, and this is something we want to improve upon. 1.05 contains a new plot where you can plot to revoke titles from your vassals.

For those of you that got frustrated about lack of plots, the Kill Plot is now more available and targets a wider selection of logical characters.

own_plot.pngTo make it easier to plot, there is now a plot-button on the character window. If you click on it on your own character, you get the possibility to select an ambition from the icons that appear.

plot_kill.pngOn other characters it shows icons of relevant plots targetting that character, which most of the time involves how to arrange a lethal accident conveniently.

death_cause.pngCauses of Death – It is now possible to see what characters died of, so that you will know if your son was murdered or not. This is shown in a tooltip over the skull-icon which is shown on dead characters. Causes of death include, Natural, Murder, Diel, Suicide, Battle, From Trait, Accident and many more.

Now its just a four days until April 17th and the release!

Fantastic. Paradox has really gone out of its way to address fan requests. In a world full of ME3s and DAO2s, it is so refreshing to see a developer actually care about its final product (and subsequent patches to said final product)!

Keep up the good work!

Very, very cool P'dox. :D

Just a question, however, on the cause of death screenshot, it details that the child was murdered on the direct orders of the Emperor. Will this description only be used in-cases such as if the Emperor had called for the child's assassination and was successful, but was discovered in the process?

Or, in another case, if the Emperor had demanded the execution of the child?

Cannot wait until the patch's release! :)

Awesome. then! I'll be playing this weekend Victoria2 (I can't play CKII having in mind all of those new or improved features) :)

On the other hand I'm buying the expansion indeed (it's released simultaneously, isn't it?)

the Kill Plot is now more available and targets a wider selection of logical characters.

This sounds very good and will hopefully make more logical plots come to light, sometimes currently there may be someone who you really have good reason to kill, yet cant.... so well done dev team!

Might I make a suggestion, the tool tip wording for the Murdered information seems very clunky and less formal than one would imagine for such information.

Mainly I would drop the He was or She was from the start, it is unnecessary as we know who the person is as we are on their page and it stifles the flow of the sentence.

Simply "Murdered on the orders of XXXX on DATE" would read much better.

I know it is a tiny point, but I think that the use of language and proper terms within this game add a great deal of flavour to it and think that little improvements like the one I have suggested would make a difference.