• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zorro

Field Marshal
92 Badges
Mar 15, 2003
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Majesty 2
I’d finished my first game and naturally I had some questions that came up and I tried to hold off till I was finished. I was the USA and didn’t do too much fighting for expansion still I don’t think I did too bad. I took all my cores from Mexico, beat the CSA, and took Cuba, Philippines, and Guam from Spain. I managed to acquire the Panama Canal and Suez Canal from the events. I had a random event that let me take a state from Britain I picked New Brunswick since it was right across the border. I colonized most of the pacific islands and I got one colony in Africa before France and Britain could gobble it up.

I did well with prestige though I had no idea how. Industry I can’t claim any credit for I never even clicked on the trade tab. I would subsidize factories if the ruling party would allow. When the tech allowed I NF several of my most populated states to promote the automotive industries. Sadly I never got to build any tanks. No one would build a tank factory.

So I have several questions that came up during my game that I never figured out.

1.) When my national bank lends money do I actually receive the interest in my budget or does the bank keep it?

2.) Is there any incentive to invest in a foreign country besides slowing down other countries influence?

3.) Is there a limit on officers? I had my military spending nearly at full but the max leadership I could have at one time was 60.

4.) Will increasing spending for military hurt my economy by keeping people away from craftsmen?

Any help would be great!

Here was my score:
vic.jpg

Columbia was strangely a great power for most of the game. Not sure what happened within the last 8 years of the game they dropped off.

1.) When my national bank lends money do I actually receive the interest in my budget or does the bank keep it?

2.) Is there any incentive to invest in a foreign country besides slowing down other countries influence?

3.) Is there a limit on officers? I had my military spending nearly at full but the max leadership I could have at one time was 60.

4.) Will increasing spending for military hurt my economy by keeping people away from craftsmen?

Nice game, Zorro!

I won't be able to answer all your questions, but at least I think I can answer questions 2-4.

2. Yes. If the countries you invest in are in your Sphere of Influence, the investments hopefully makes your sphereling produce more goods, which in the long run means more goods for you as almighty Sphere Master. Furthermore, investments in spherelings counts as a part of your total industrial score.
3. I don't know if there's a limit on the number of officers, but the limit on leadership points is 60. You have to keep using the points buy hiring generals or admirals, or they're wasted.
4. Potentially yes, if it makes farmers more likely to convert into soldiers than craftsmen.

1. The POPs who have savings in the bank (i.e. your Capis and Aristos) get interest back as additional income. POPs only save when they have additional income left over after they have purchased all of their needs. It's not wise to have loads of money in the national bank, as it's capital that isn't utilised by the economy. If you find that your national bank is overflowing with cash, increase taxes on the rich, and cut them for the poor, in order to boost demand and thereby profits and industrialisation.

Brb will finish the rest later after my haircut

2. This is especially relevant if you're playing a country that does not have any iron or coal RGOs, as you will be unable to produce steel without it. By the late game, steel is relatively well supplied, but you'll still want a secure source of it.

3. Ideally you want Officers to be 0.2% of the population. Any more than that is inefficient.

4. It depends. If 20% of your POPs are soldiers, than yes, they're a burden on the economy. My personal experience with soldiers is that you need high defence spending to stop the population of soldiers decreasing, so I use soldier NFs to bulk up my army when I expand it. They key factor triggering POP promotions to craftsmen is when your RGOs fire labourers/farmers for excessive production of a good. These POPs will naturally demote to craftsmen.

You don't seem to have a terribly high population for a USA game in 1936. Did you manage to pass loads of reforms that got immigrants swarming in?

You don't seem to have a terribly high population for a USA game in 1936. Did you manage to pass loads of reforms that got immigrants swarming in?
No I didn't pass to many reforms. I'll have to keep that in mind for next time.

Another question I just thought of. When you justify wars. Are there any factors that make your attempts more or less detectable?

Another question I just thought of. When you justify wars. Are there any factors that make your attempts more or less detectable?

My favorite trick is to start colonizing somewhere someone else is colonizing, then you get a +100% speed increase to justification. It's hard to do and highly situational. I like to take one of east africa portugal colonies and then you can try to grab the rest for cheap by colonizing when and where he colonizes. This can be done quite early, then later, you can get some easy ones on France as he tries to take west africa.

Highly situational, but fun.

Having a censored/state press helps. So does having a Jingoist or Pro-Military ruling party