• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

clonmelwonder

Second Lieutenant
52 Badges
Nov 30, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Iron Cross
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Hi Guys
Just recently purchased the game, thought as good starting country would be England but straight away France declared war on me.

Now i had hoped for a more gentle introduction to the game, and dont want a regular war with France over the English provinces in Mainland Europe, should i just cede these provinces, is it inevitable in the longrun.

Then i could concentrate my attention elsewhere

The way I do it is, before unpausing, send Alliance offers to Burgundy, Brittany, Aragon and Castille. All or most will accept, then France will probably not declare war on you. Since you have cores on French lands, you may want to declare war on France anyway to retake them, and you will easily beat France with the aid of four not-insignificant nations.

Last edited:
Well, he's looking for a more gentle introduction to the game. He would probably offer to sell those provinces before he unpauses, or simply cede them during the first war. That way he can concentrate on internal affairs and forming Great Britain, and then colonizing without worrying much about mainland Europe.

Well, he's looking for a more gentle introduction to the game. He would probably offer to sell those provinces before he unpauses, or simply cede them during the first war. That way he can concentrate on internal affairs and forming Great Britain, and then colonizing without worrying much about mainland Europe.

I suppose, but at some point you will have to fight wars with other europeans, and it's easier to do that if there isn't blue stretching from Spain to Denmark.

Actually this is the best possible start as English.
Start cancelling/performing missions until you get "Ocupy Paris". You do not need to fight french for now. Best strategy is to steadily build up your army to the forcelimit and kill any french who lands in Calais and Ireland.
This way your warscore will soon become positive and your wax exhaustion will not skyrocket.
Also do not invest in anything other then Government tech until you get first idea. your first idea should be Drill one - +1 morale.

After you got your idea, created an army, have full manpower pool and have a mission "Ocupy Paris" - go for the france. sign a military access with Frence's neibours (Burgundy, Aragon, Britany, non-cobatant french vassals) and destroy french army in a quick concentrated strike. Then spread your troops to siege whole france(to kill any building troops easily.).

Edit: You will very soon start winning a war with pretty high score: 20-60%. However your menpower is dwindling, so make sure to watch it carefully, and if it seams that you are using your last reserves - sue for peace and demand whatever you can. You now have the cores all over the northern france, and you will conquire it a decade later, once you replenish menpower.

For a gentle introduction I advise selling all English owned provinces to everyone BUT France. Just so they get into wars with others to claim them andtakes their attention away from you to colonise or just get to grips with the game.

Later, when you make a bit of money you could raise relations with France... Royal Marriage... Claim their throne and BOOM - PU and with a smidge of luck (and good relations) you can inherit the whole bloody thing with NO Infamy or loss of English life.

Huzzah :laugh:

Start cancelling/performing missions until you get "Ocupy Paris". You do not need to fight french for now.

You cannot get this mission unless you are at war with France.

Generally you obtain it by canceling your current mission (ideally it pops up after completing vassalization of Scotland mission) while at war with France.

Generally you obtain it by canceling your current mission (ideally it pops up after completing vassalization of Scotland mission) while at war with France.

He means that the war is ideal as a start. Don't face the French, just let them to their thing and wait for the mission.

He means that the war is ideal as a start. Don't face the French, just let them to their thing and wait for the mission.

No, it's impossible, the mission won't fire up unless you're at war with France. No war with France, the mission to occupy Paris will never show up.

Just get the mission to Conquer Ireland, conquer them all and before annexing, ship all your troops to Calais, get Military Access through Burgundy and place them all as close to Paris as possible. DoW the French, annex the Irish minors and move your troops straight to Paris, the mission pops up (because you completed the Irish mission and are at war with France, so you'll probably get the Occupy Paris one), occupy it, bam, cores everywhere.

Just let France occupy your possessions on the European mainland.

Use your navy to bottle up theirs.

Eventually they'll offer white peace.

Rinse and repeat.

I dunno if that's too annoying though.

sure, but OP was attacked by france at the very start of the game, so I assume he have not given up his ancestral posessions in france and is still at war.

for an easy intro play portugal as long as castille is happy you won't have to deal with any super powers and you can colonize and pick on the africans

for an easy intro play portugal as long as castille is happy you won't have to deal with any super powers and you can colonize and pick on the africans
I would say Castille is better than Portugal because Portugal can be crushed very easily by Castille for a new player. If Castille gets the border dispute event it is gurenteed that a Castille DOW will come portugals way

For a new player it's not the best idea though. If he raises war taxes and forgets about it, WE will start to go up quite high and mess with not only his tax but any rebels
That is why I never rise war taxes during hard wars. The only situations I use war taxed is an easy war overseas (like crusade against Morocco) and easy wars with european minors, when I can avoid attrition.
As for rebels - one can safely ignore them in this war if you do not skyrocket your WE, and if you do - one 5.000 stack at home will slow rebels down enough to win the french war.

My latest game I got kind of annoyed at France attacking me too. I am fairly new so it took me a while to realize that this early war is actually a good thing. England has one very powerful mission that is known as "Occupy Paris", which gives you core territory in all of France's "Gallia" Region which is like super rich XD. The only way you can get this mission is to already be at war with France, so you have to be at war with them and cancel your current mission to get this one.

The way to beat France is to just build up to your Army Forces limit and try to beat them from your Norman lands and try to occupy Paris so you can get the cores. Afterwards, try to focus on defeating France. This is more or less the path that I followed in my current game and this is what I ended up with in about 150 years
eu32x.png

I am Holy Roman Emperor and have the largest Colonies in the world. England is probably one of the most powerful nations in the world. It is only truly vulnerable in the beginning when France can really put up more men than you ever could so if you are going to try for continental Europe that would be the toughest fight you will ever have. Afterwards, it is downhill from there.

Alternatively, you could try to get rid of your Continental Holdings. Sell Calais to France, Gascone to Brittany. Try to keep Labourd for Colonization purposes. Then, utilize the Conquer Ireland Mission to it's fullest extent. One of my favorite moves is starting the game over and over until I get Conquer Ireland mission. Then I just declare war on all four Countries in Ireland before even Unpausing. Reasoning for this is that they tend to ally themselves with bigger guys than just them so it is annoying to conquer them later on. As far as Scotland goes, many people use the vasalize mission and then just demand annexation later. I like to force a Personal Union and try to inherit them instead. Personal preference.

This might sound a bit like chinese to you at this point but you'll understand it all in a few short weeks :) have fun!

Congratulations! your game goes almost perfect so far, only few things I would recommend:
1. Next time try to fracture spaniards preserving all nations on the peninsula (Granada, Navarra, Agaon, Castille, Galicia) and giving some land to your allies. This way you will secure new world for yourself only.
2. You should not have allowed Bohemia to be so large, as it guarantees problems when you will form HRE.
3. I frown upon restarting. Irish tend to ally with Scotland and Britany, which are kind of easy opponents.
4. I would say that Annexation of Asia Minor is a wrong decision because of negative researchh impact.