• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(229878)

Sergeant
1 Badges
Oct 6, 2010
  • Pillars of Eternity
Just finished downloading the full game off STEAM, and I couldn't help but notice that performance is awful, for some reason. It mostly stays around 10 FPS in the 2D-view, and 12 in the 3D view. This isn't right. :mad:

My computer:

Two "Radeon HD 6990"s in CrossFire.
Intel Core-i7 950.
6+ GB RAM.
Windows 7 64-Bit.
The game runs off a fast SSD-drive.
Newest graphical drivers installed. (Always.)

I'm running the game on "Ultra"-settings. I could try lowering the graphical fidelity, but I really don't think that's an acceptable solution when my machine is this powerful. The fault here is clearly with the game as opposed to my computer, so I honestly doubt it would have much of an effect, anyway.

Upvote 0
do the lowest possible G settings improve quality?

I shouldn't really have to decrease graphical settings to begin with, should I? :glare:

Tried in non cross fire?

Yes. Although the Fraps FPS-counter in the corner lists slightly higher numbers, the on-screen framerate is visibly even lower than before.

try running without steam?

How do you do that? (Although I fail to see how it could make all that much of a difference.)

I shouldn't really have to decrease graphical settings to begin with, should I?

...if there is no difference between lowest and highest it would be indicative of a different problem, as well there maybe a graphic setting with incompatibility that is causing problems, ie on default settings the game runs fine on my little laptop

What % of use are you seeing from your CPU and GPU?

What anti virus?

...if there is no difference between lowest and highest it would be indicative of a different problem, as well there maybe a graphic setting with incompatibility that is causing problems, ie on default settings the game runs fine on my little laptop

I just ran some tests.

First, I tried setting the graphics to the "Very Low" -preset, and I'm suddenly at around 200+ FPS! In other words: "Very Low" = 220 FPS. "Ultra" = 10 FPS. :confused:

Wow.

---

Second, I tried bumping it up to "Medium", and the FPS now stays around 60 FPS.

---

Third, I set it to "Very High". (The second-highest preset.) Now it hangs just below 20.

what sound card?

"Creative SB X-FI". Newest drivers.

What anti virus?

To the best of my knowledge, I don't have any.

is there a performance boost if you turn master volume off? some paradox games have problems with that setting
(not sure if there is an ini file as well you can try with as well)
Any boost if you set as high priority in task manager?

I just ran some tests.

First, I tried setting the graphics to the "Very Low" -preset, and I'm suddenly at around 200+ FPS! In other words: "Very Low" = 220 FPS. "Ultra" = 10 FPS. :confused:
There is obviously some "ultra" graphics feature that your card doesn't support the way we expect it to (I have a card at home which has a bug/error in it, causing such issues).

You can try to customize the different settings to find out which one is the culprit. If you can find which it is, it may be possible to resolve, and you can have your graphics options set for a nice experience even if one of the settings is lower.

You can try to customize the different settings to find out which one is the culprit. If you can find which it is, it may be possible to resolve, and you can have your graphics options set for a nice experience even if one of the settings is lower.

Sure, but I'd really rather you fixed it altogether, so that I can enjoy the full game.

Did some more quick testing. It seems "Ocean Quality" is by far one of the greatest FPS-killers. Just setting it to "Medium" made me jump from 10 FPS to 59 FPS, with everything else set to "Ultra".

Thanks for your feedback!

Have you attached a dxdiag output for your system? That would be very helpful, too.

Yes, as soon as we know what the problem is, we will fix it if at all possible. Thank you very much for your patience!

Got it, right here.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    73 KB · Views: 282
I got really low performance as well. Low runs good. Ultra and High run very slow.

Almost to the point were objects dont move at all with the speed up all the way up and vehicle speed at military. Seems to have to catch up. Great sim though.

Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 RAM
1TB SATA-7200RPM HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB
Corsair 700 watt power supply
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

(Can't find the option to upload the dxdiag on this site.)

Last edited:
I got really low performance as well. Low runs good. Ultra and High run very slow.

Almost to the point were objects dont move at all with the speed up all the way up and vehicle speed at military. Seems to have to catch up. Great sim though.

Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 RAM
1TB SATA-7200RPM HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB
Corsair 700 watt power supply
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

(Can't find the option to upload the dxdiag on this site.)

Have you tried running 'Ocean Quality' on medium like OP?

I've tested a bunch more, and damn. It's amazing how much of an effect "Ocean Quality" really has. None of the other graphical features can even compare. Whatever I keep "Ocean Quality" on pretty much decides what kind of FPS I'll have, regardless of what everything else is set to.