• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you, you answered my question. :)
Is it realistic that jamming does not affect friendly units?

I think it really depends on which kind of jamming is used. For example, are concentrated beams used, are multiple frequencies jammed etc. I don't really know too much about real world jammers and what kind of units aircraft use, but it's probably not completely unrealistic to assume that only the enemy is affected?

EDIT: Ok, I was JanH'd :)

Can you use HARM to attack the radars of surface ships ?
Yes, HARM, Kh-31 and Kh-58 are all anti-radiation missiles.

They have a higher chance of hit success if target is radiating, and if they hit, they will take out at least one radar (radars, like weapons, are automatically repaired as long as its unit is not killed, but it may take 2 hours or so).

About altitudes. I haven’t noticed that aircraft’s altitude affects its fuel consumption or ground speed. In that sense any altitude is as good as any other.

I’m new to this EMCON warfare but it seems to me that you want to maximise your vision or your stealth. In order to maximise your vision your spotters fly at max alt with radars on and in order to maximise your stealth the rest of your aircrafts fly at very low with radars off.

So my possibly stupid question is if there’s any point in not flying at either max or min altitude? Are other altitudes viable?

Last edited:
Disambiguation with IR missiles such as AA-12 or AIM-9 or Mistrals? I haven't yet found anything to support that though. You are correct on saying that a good covert attack strategy may be to put your BARCAP + AWACS on high altitude, low speed, radar on, and your strike force on low altitude, EMCON, military speed.

So my possibly stupid question is if there’s any point in not flying at either max or min altitude? Are other altitudes viable?
That's a good point, actually.

There is the issue that your missiles must still fly up if you are flying low and want to hit higher flying objects, which takes time and range.

Also, I can think of the situation when aircraft in a CAP especially may want to have a certain visibility range to cover their area, but not so high that they are seen by faraway AWACS planes.

Yours is a very valid point. We should add some sort of penalty for lower altitude, maybe limited to when flying faster than cruise, and a weapon boost for high altitude vs low altitude. I've added it to issues - will be fun to play around with.

Thanks for feedback!

. We should add some sort of penalty for lower altitude, maybe limited to when flying faster than cruise, and a weapon boost for high altitude vs low altitude. !

Bearing in mind that at a range of 200 miles, a radar loses track of a plane flying at less than 100ft, partly due to the background noise of the waves, and partly because of the curvature of the good old earth :happy: