• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For me the graphics are fine. Since Harpoon is the closest "relative", I can't complain about graphics :)

Yea good point, I watched all the videos, as the game was being made, so I knew what the graphics would be like going in. I would take strategy and tactics over graphics anyday and from what I have seen this game delivers on those fronts like a well-placed Harpoon.

Anyone know how to get the naval war icon under my avatar? I can't play yet, but I would like to at least attach it to my avatar if anyone knows how.

Wow! Great to see this! Really opens up the possibilities of this game, and moddability. Of course we need that mission editor too.

Yep I'm glad the makers did the game like this, makes it easy for people to change things, I just hope they release modelling info and tools.
When they have got the game running how they what it, because I'm guessing there are a lot of things that are going to be change with a update patch.

Any plans to add a different style of multiplayer? Scenarios are good but longer term, it would be nice to see the option to buy a fleet (each unit has a cost) and then have a fight on some scenario maps. Do all the units start in the same place each time the multiplayer scenario is launched?

Yea good point, I watched all the videos, as the game was being made, so I knew what the graphics would be like going in. I would take strategy and tactics over graphics anyday and from what I have seen this game delivers on those fronts like a well-placed Harpoon.

Anyone know how to get the naval war icon under my avatar? I can't play yet, but I would like to at least attach it to my avatar if anyone knows how.

Go to 'My Games' tab:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/mygames.php

There you can enter your serial for the game.

Any plans to add a different style of multiplayer? Scenarios are good but longer term, it would be nice to see the option to buy a fleet (each unit has a cost) and then have a fight on some scenario maps.
Absolutely an idea we're thinking seriously about indeed.

Do all the units start in the same place each time the multiplayer scenario is launched?
There is support for variance in unit positions in scenarios. We haven't used that yet (a bit risky for a campaign), but we'll make use of it in future scenarios (mp and skirmish).

Very happy so far - in terms of recent Paradox Games products ranks close to Crusader Kings II in terms of strength on launch and much better than two others we could all mention. Only immediate wish (frequently mentioned already) is for the ability to save during scenarios; a long term one for a more detailed data and comment file that could be opened when a platform is selected (and I suspect there would be a rush by site members to write them up!).

Despite the freeze bug I encountered (which I am certain will be fixed soon) I really like this game.

Of course nothing is ever really perfect but this is the best modern naval warfare game in a decade at least.
I kind of like the almost tongue in cheek tone of it all, even the "childish" briefings (and of course the release trailer :)))
Other games today smack you with Hans Zimmer music and Michael Bay explosions, this one has a nice low key but solid feel to it.
It really feels like it is done by Scandinavians ;)

In terms of graphics, who can say they wouldn't like something better? Otherwise, it wouldn't be better, haha. Same for sound. Obviously more authentic unit sound effects, ambient ocean sounds, explosions, ship signals/alarms, vocal commands and such would add a lot to the game. However, you gotta work with what you have. They are a small team of guys with a little bit of money. If this game does well, maybe they will get more resources and maybe hire a couple more people for a sequel.

Does the fact it could be nicer mean it is all worthless? I'd say no. In the videos I have watched, it's helpful to see the ships and the attacks coming up. The visual recognition of their quality/power gives a more natural feeling of the threat rather than just a purely conceptual understanding. So to the extent that it makes it feel more real and that guides your instincts and choices, that affects gameplay, but for the most part it is aesthetic and unrelated to gameplay. Strategy gamers should know these principles of separation between graphics and gameplay more than anyone else.

I would say all of this is all the more true simply because of the modern setting. In a WWII navy game you are much more often in proximity to other units. It makes sense to have a high-production game like Battlestations. But in modern navy there is so much distance between the units fighting and they move at much faster speeds. Being Paradox fans, we understand that even just improvement in UI can be quite nice, but still, graphical improvement would truly be merely cosmetic and unrelated to play unless you extended play to what I would consider burdensome micromanagement of each unit.

Overall, I'm just glad to see any game like this. It is long-wanted.

Any plans to add a different style of multiplayer? Scenarios are good but longer term, it would be nice to see the option to buy a fleet (each unit has a cost) and then have a fight on some scenario maps. Do all the units start in the same place each time the multiplayer scenario is launched?
Something like this would be great for a SP skirmish mode! Much better than random unit placement! I approve! :D

So.

Just bought the game after playing the demo for a bit. The game intrigued me, and most of all I wanted to support the developers of the game.

I'm going to say two things:

1.)Game is pretty fun overall. The idea behind it is solid. Massive map with planes, ships, missiles, subs, etc. Actually a somewhat realistic scenario for a future conflict.
2.)The game could be SO much better with future mods/tweaks/enhancements/patches/etc.

If the graphics were updated, the unit animations, the UI, the overall presentation, etc, this game could really be awesome. What excites me about this game is the potential.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game as it is, but it really needs some work. But I feel that with some time and effort, it could really, really propel itself into an awesome simulator.

The graphics are definitely outdated. The UI needs some improvements (user friendly), and the unit animations (if you can call them that. When I make a plane turn around, it simply shifts flight paths before it actually "turns around". come on? :/) But BESIDES that, the game can become so much more than what it is.

I've seen so many games move from average to exceptional (paradox games, especially), and I believe this game could easily be one of those.

Hope the developers continue to work at the game. I'm sure they will.

Cheers