• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Having enjoyed Fleet Command very much I was interested to discover this game, given it has clearly taken some inspiration from the former.
However, I've just played the demo tutorials I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed ..

Graphics - the graphics aren't much better than Fleet Command, which is a little disappointing given the passage of time and technology
Sounds - nowhere near as immersive as FC with very little voice acting/cues - though I appreciate the developer has a small budget for the project

User Interface - This is where I really think there are problems:
~ I've found the UI experience to be very mouse click intensive, not at all intuitive
~ There are no right-mouse click context menus - I think this would add greatly to the game
~ Controls for navigating 3D view are different to the main map - why not keep them the same?
~ Way-points seem bugged are just don't work
~ It doesn't seem possible to see ships in a battle group as individual items on the map
~ There are no track IDs for individual radar contacts
~ Range circles or anything circular for that matter appears to be an oval rather than a true circle on the main map

I'm very impressed by the game and especially considering how many people who worked on this title. I think this game has a huge potential, and it will be interesting seeing how much you guys can get done with the number of resources you have available. How many people in total? Like 3-4 people?

So far I've enjoyed a few missions and it's fun but also difficult. It's not the typical point and click RTS. This is a good thing as it expands the lifespan of the game. By introducing content patches and various of unit packs I see a healthy business model with micro transactions. I guess word of mouth will be your more or less "marketing department", so I'll do my best to spread the word. :)

Does the game have bugs? Yes, and some of them more annoying than others. I assume, and hope we'll have a patch in the near future which will focus on client crashes. That's the only killer to this game.. fix that and you'll gain more customers easily.

I've been playing the demo, buying the full game day after tomorrow.

I enjoyed the gameplay and detail, graphics not an issue for me, I don't need it for this sort of game.
UI could do with more hotkeys than just opening the various menus.

I would like to see a mission editor, I've got a few tactics I'd like to try out, regarding helicopters and submarines. I'll post in more detail in another thread.

Contrary to my previous understanding, it doesn't work.

To be more precise, it is always necessary to be online to activate the game every time I switch on my computer; afterwards it is possible to play even offline.

I'm fed up with Steam: when I first bought a game from Steam, it was always possible to play offline; then they changed the rules without any notice.

That's the reason I bought this game from GamersGate, thinking it was as CKII; besides JanH said that they wouldn't have used any DRM ("We are not using the DRM options, no.").

JanH said specifically elsewhere: "If you have no net connection whatsoever where you live, I can see a problem. However, you only have to be online exactly once, download the client and be able to activate the game, to play it in offline mode for the rest of your life. Considering you are on this forum, I think that should work."

This unfortunatly seems untrue, at least for me. I hope this could be fixed.

It should still be possible to start the game without being online. I just tried it on my home computer with Steam in offline mode and it worked for me. What kind of message do you get when you are trying to start it but don't succeed?

I have just played a few missions in the demo and I like the game. However there are a few problems:

1. Campaign newspaper text doesn't fit on the screen at max resolution which is what I play the game at.
2. Some of the GUI text items write over the buttons mainly it seems in the options set-up screens.
3. When you lose or win a battle the game ends far too abruptly. You should at least be able to savour your final conquest before getting the final screen coming up. Very disappointing to be flying towards your final target for half an hour and then you don't get to see it blow up. Just add a bit of a delay.

(EDIT) An even better idea would be to allow the player the option of continuing to play past the final screen. Again yesterday I was playing the demo tutorial and with no warning I got the final success screen pop up because I had found and identified the airliner that the mission brief warned me to watch for - and yet I never even saw the airliner myself as I was concentrating on something elsewhere. this is a really disappointing way to end missions!!!I want to be able to continue playing!

4. Graphics are indeed quite lame. Don't detract but don't inspire very much either. Especially the launch animations of the torpedoes, missiles and planes - these are a bit rubbish really.
5. Sounds are pretty rubbish as well and their is no immersion created by them other than from the action itself. Need far more sound wise - command room sounds would be good. Pilot communications etc would be great.
6. Not being able to save inside missions is terribly bad - my last mission lasted for a few hours for goodness-sake (ok I was messing around a lot). Don't see why I have to feel like rushing through these missions at max time compression just because of limitations in the game save design. You MUST get this sorted asap.

To balance the above up though:
1. The game is great fun trying to detect and attack enemy ships and subs.
2. The demo seems to be very comprehensive, possibly a bit too comprehensive.
3. The game-play is nice and slow, with immersive hunting and action bits.
4. Seem to be a good variety of units and quite a variety to the missions.
5. Pricing is spot on considering how much game-play you get, and for the future games potential.

On the whole I like the game demo and am enjoying playing through the demo missions. I still feel that a large dynamic or semi-dynamic campaign would be superb in this game, the canned missions/campaign will get old pretty quick.

To be honest once I have finished the demo I don't know whether I will want to buy the full game not being a modern naval buff myself and as such am not too interested in the other units provided. It will take me a few days to get through the demo as it is. It is, though, the save game limitations that are mainly putting me off purchasing the full game.

Like others have said its the potential of the game that really shines through - I don't feel its a great game yet, just a good one. With a bit of work on the graphics and sounds, and nice large dynamic campaign, and in mission saving sorted (should also be an autosave), good multiplayer and a good editor/random mission creator I do feel this game could be great.

Last edited:
It should still be possible to start the game without being online. I just tried it on my home computer with Steam in offline mode and it worked for me. What kind of message do you get when you are trying to start it but don't succeed?

When I launch the game I receive this message:

"Connection Error.

Could not connect to the Steam network.

It appears that you are not currently connected to the Internet, or that your Internet connection is not configured correctly for Steam.

Either check your connection and click 'Retry', or start Steam in 'Offline Mode'."

When I click the button 'OFFLINE MODE' I receive this message:

"Steam - Error

Could not connect to Steam network.
This could be due to a problem with your Internet connection, or with the Steam network.
Please visit www.steampowered.com for more info."

I tried to re-download the Steam program, but received a message that said it was updated.

Hope this could be useful. Thanks.

Renato,

So you have changed Steam to offline mode (which must be done while in online mode), Steam restarts and it still whines about "connection error"?

I've done this numerous times with no problem. I just did it again now to test. It works. The game starts, and the game runs.

Renato,

So you have changed Steam to offline mode (which must be done while in online mode), Steam restarts and it still whines about "connection error"?

I've done this numerous times with no problem. I just did it again now to test. It works. The game starts, and the game runs.

Yes, exactly.
If it is just me, I might contact Steam.

I'm happy with the game.I was a big Jane's Fleet Command fan so having NWAC come out is a good thing.
Yes it has a few rough edges but i am hoping over time future patches and the MOD folks will make this
game top notch! After all 20 bucks is a small sum to invest in a game with such great potential.

Having enjoyed Fleet Command very much I was interested to discover this game, given it has clearly taken some inspiration from the former.
However, I've just played the demo tutorials I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed ..

Graphics - the graphics aren't much better than Fleet Command, which is a little disappointing given the passage of time and technology
Sounds - nowhere near as immersive as FC with very little voice acting/cues - though I appreciate the developer has a small budget for the project

~ I've found the UI experience to be very mouse click intensive, not at all intuitive
~ There are no right-mouse click context menus - I think this would add greatly to the game
~ Controls for navigating 3D view are different to the main map - why not keep them the same?
~ It doesn't seem possible to see ships in a battle group as individual items on the map
~ Range circles or anything circular for that matter appears to be an oval rather than a true circle on the main map

I avtually have to agree with you here on almost every point.

Sound: Lacking in every way. The game has like the same missile launch sound for everything and torpedos and missiles dont even have sound at all. I dont know about guns because i havett heard but i hope they would differ a bit. Explosions wise, when i blew up a plane, it didnt even make a sound at all, and the sound for blowing up ships and subs was not great.

Voices: In 2012, i expected to have full voices for all units. Im talking Russian, Finnish, Swedish, and English voices depending on the unit, and contextual such as Submarine here. I mean Fleet Command has basic voices even, but that game is from 1999. I would hope that you could improve this to at LEAST fleet commands standard (all english voices), but not having these ruins immersion quite a bit. (i mean 1999 FC had pretty varied voices)

Animations: Bad. The missile launches look stupid, and worst of all planes literally just appear in front and magically take off from carriers. There is no animation of the plane coming up the elevator, setting up and launching off like there should be.

Models: I dont know if this is a bad joke, but it seems like every anti ship missile has the same model, a Harpoon. EVEN THE SHIPWRECK LOOKS THE SAME AS THE HARPOON. WTF?
This is all very disappointing considering it has been nearly THIRTEEN YEARS since Fleet Command. I mean even Dangerous Waters from 2006 has better graphics.

I don't play this game (and for that matter, Fleet command and others) for their graphics. I would have gladly do without the 3D window as long as everything else works. I think the UI is pretty great and a giant step up from Harpoon 2&3.

This is all very disappointing considering it has been nearly THIRTEEN YEARS since Fleet Command. I mean even Dangerous Waters from 2006 has better graphics.

This is a indie game made by a couple of cool dudes in Norway, not by Electronic Arts or something.
Which is probably all the more for the better because if (when? :D) they get bought by EA or Ubi they will turn out games for demented 13 year olds like the rest.
This game has delivered something nobody has done for 13 years, a fully playable largely stable (though not for me) modern naval strategy game, not some eternal beta like many of the other freeware/indie attempts at the same.
Of course it ain't perfect but especially with the strategy/simulation crowd, which game ever is?
And I can well do without the eye candy, the only reason I leave 3d on is because there's nothing to replace the 3d window with.

May be a good idea, Renato.

I just google'd

steam unable to go to offline mode

and you are not really the only one.

Looked like some people had suggestions for fixing it, too, so you may want to check that out.

Your tip has been useful. Thanks.

I can set Steam offline from the Steam program and then all is OK. The launcher doesn't work anymore. They must have changed something some time ago without notice.

You view individual units in a group by zooming in on the group.

I agree, people should really take note that this game is made by a semi indie company, small group of people , not Blizzard or other major Dev. Team, hence they dont have pckets full of money. Plus there were a lot of videos on Youtube and other pages that clearly show how the graphic looks in the game, sound and so on so nobody should have to be really surpriced when they turn on their game.

I love this game and hope with the money they get for it they will be able to support it very well and bring other titles for us that likes the Naval genre in videogames.

I agree, people should really take note that this game is made by a semi indie company, small group of people , not Blizzard or other major Dev. Team, hence they dont have pckets full of money. Plus there were a lot of videos on Youtube and other pages that clearly show how the graphic looks in the game, sound and so on so nobody should have to be really surpriced when they turn on their game.

I love this game and hope with the money they get for it they will be able to support it very well and bring other titles for us that likes the Naval genre in videogames.

Completely agree. If people take a quick look at the credit list they would have realized that this is not just a semi indie company. It's very indie with probably not more then 4-6 fulltime guys working on this title. This is also why I'm trying to convince every gamer I know to buy the game. :)

The more people buying the game, the bigger potential the game gets as I'm pretty sure these guys will invest more time and effort into their baby.

Now; JanH.. send in an application to Filmfondet to produce the expansion. :D