• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will there be a bitter peace or will you press on until the comintern is crushed?

Excellent updates! I have never had that happen in my Russian campaigns....Is that some sort of mod? Having all of those Soviet small countries pop up??

Don's allow Rommel to wait too long at El Alamein.......Monty (or whoever) may surprise you....Keep the updates coming.

Very good. The best part about this AAR is how the difficulty doesn't go down. You can take out the French, Italians, Russians, and everything between, but there's still so much to do and so much to defend.

Congrats, even the Soviets need to say it is great!!! (this doesn't mean they like it that you are taking their lands, they still hate Germans :) )

You've been awarded [post=14693616]AARtist of the Month ![/post]
Congratulations [MM] ! Well-deserved for the great work you're doing in this AAR.
Thank you very much. This is an unexpected, but much appreciated honor. I hope I won't let you down this month.

Good idea about splitting up the USSR into more states! Will also make it a little easier to take them out if they can't cooperate :)
Hows the manpower/Ressource situation? Better then last time i'm guessing?
Excellent updates! I have never had that happen in my Russian campaigns....Is that some sort of mod? Having all of those Soviet small countries pop up??
Yes, that was something I implemented as an alternative for the default bitter peace event. If you don't accept the peace offer and you push a little bit further, you'll magically receive all of their lands all the way to Siberia and the Red Army just puts down their weapons and goes home. I don't think that is very realistic. Even with Stalin dead, Moscow lost and the Politburo in shambles, I believe they would have continued to resist the invaders. Maybe not in the same efficient and organized fashion as before, but this way I'll be forced to conquer and occupy all of Russia, even if I'm only fighting militia units in the end.
And yes, my resource situation is a little bit more relaxed now. I've been building mostly naval vessels for the past year, allowing my manpower numbers to recover. In one of the following updates I'll probably write something about that.

(...) Yet, I can't help but wonder: Are those states at war with each other, fighting to re-unite the once great Soviet Union or will they unite against you, like the various Chinese factions do once Japan attacks.
They are all still in the Comintern and allied with each other. But put together they are less powerful than the Soviet union was. They are having troubles with supplying their troops, with the lack of resources and they don't have enough officers.

Will there be a bitter peace or will you press on until the comintern is crushed?
No, there won't be an armistice. I'm planing on taking it all.

1942-12-04
After a short break General Rommel resumed his offensive in Northern Africa today. His forces are attacking from El Alamein on a narrow front, constraint by the sea to the north and the Qattara Depression, an impassable dessert with high cliffs and treacherous salt marshes, to the south. The enemy is expecting us and has fortified his positions, but with our superior tanks we should be able to smash trough their lines and into Egypt soon.

attackfromelalamein.jpg

Rommel's Africa Corps is on the move again.​

1942-12-08
We expect Rommel to break through the British lines at any moment and in order to trap the British Africa Army in Egypt we have started an combined amphibious and aerial assault on the Suez Canal. If we can capture and hold both banks of the canal, the British army an the remaining ships of the Royal Navy will be stuck and we can annihilate them later.

attackonsuez.jpg

Our Marine Infantry en route to the sunny beaches of Romani to support our Fallschirmjägers.​

1942-12-11
Once more we've learned that it is one thing to encircle the enemy and quite another to destroy the trapped forces. The more we are compressing a pocket, the fiercer they are resisting. After weeks of fighting we have finally eliminated the last enemy forces in the Kuban region, freeing up another three infantry corps for our future operations in the area.

kubancleared.jpg

The cost of clearing the Kuban-Pocket was high, but our soldier's sacrifice will not have been in vain.​

I've asked my generals if it would be possible to stage a winter-offensive on the eastern front, to exploit the confusion caused by the collapse of the Soviet Union, but probing attacks have shown that they are still quite capable of repelling our attacks. This, combined with the fact that much of our equipment and weapons is not designed to operate in the harsh temperatures of the Russian Winter, the consensus of the General Staff seems to be that the cost of an attack would be greater that the expected benefits. We will have to wait until the next spring before we can resume our operations in the east, which will give the newly formed soviets states ample time to figure out how they should cooperate and fight against their common enemy.
In the meantime we will concentrate on Africa, the Middle East and maybe the Caucasus, where the weather is a less cold (and the enemy has less troops) than further north.

1942-12-15
Over the course of these past few days Rommel has smashed through the British lines, encircled the bulk of the British army in Alexandria and has linked up with our beachhead on the Suez Canal. His next goal is to capture the ancient city founded by Alexander the Great so many centuries ago. A worthy price for a skilled leader like himself.

attackonalexandria.jpg

Rommel coordinating the advance through Egypt.​

1942-12-17
In the midst of the struggle for Alexandria the British have made a daring aerial assault on Crete today. In the early morning British paratroopers overpowered the small local garrison and occupied the island's airfield and port, effectively bringing Crete under their control. While a boost to their own morale, this operation is of little consequence to us. Once we are done in Egypt, we will recover Crete and attack all the other, smaller Greek islands further north that are also in British hands.
In other, equally unimportant news: After being pressured by Britain for years, Siam officially joined the alliance with Britain and the USA today.

creteinvadedbybritish.jpg

One of the few British successes in the recent years, amply exploited by their propaganda.​

1942-12-18
Our troops in Africa captured Alexandria today, taking almost half of the remaining British Africa Army as prisoners. Our next goal will be the Egyptian capital Cairo and the full occupation of the Sinai Peninsula.

alexandriacaptured.jpg

A well deserved drink after the victory.​

1942-12-20
After a long time of inactivity the US made their first move today with an unopposed invasion of Greenland and Iceland. This provides them with naval bases dangerously close to our own shores. In addition to the Royal Navy we will probably see American ships patrolling our shores very soon. While they have the numerical superiority, I'm curious to see how they fare against our experienced Kriegsmarine.
Later this evening another interesting event was reported by my foreign minister von Ribbentrop: The leaders of the various new Soviet States met for a meeting in Novosibirsk, in central Russia, to discuss the continuation of their war effort. At the end of the day they decided that the defeat of Germany would take precedence over everything else and announced the end of the "world revolution", officially dissolving the Communist International (also known as the Third International). With this step, largely symbolic in nature, they denounced their goal of establishing World Communism and pledged to concentrate on defeating Germany and the Reunification of the Soviet Union. A move with which they are obviously hoping to gain access to support from the Allies.

greenlandicelandandcomm.jpg

Greenland and Iceland are now protected by US forces.​

1942-12-25
After many years of research and dozens of failed attempts, today one of Wernher von Braun's Aggregat-4 (A4) rockets made its first successful flight. The rocket was launched from a testing site on the rocket research complex in Peenemünde on the Baltic Coast. The projectile followed a ballistic trajectory, reaching the edge of space and the plummeting back down to earth, landing a few hundred kilometers east in the Baltic Sea, north of the Pomeranian coast. In the tip of the rocket, in addition to the electronic guidance system and the controlling gyroscope, a small camera had been installed, which took several photographs during the fight and was recovered successfully by a diver after the projectile crashed into the shallow water of the Baltic Sea. Much to the amazement of our rocket scientists the grainy film showed the first shaky pictures of our planet taken from outer space. A great testimony of the ingenuity of our scientist, too bad this first flight and the film will be classified for the foreseeable future.

a4spacelaunch.jpg

The first man-made object in space, a great triumph of German engineering.​

I've given the order to my armament minister Albert Speer to start the construction of enough A4 rockets for three separate waves of attacks on Britain. In February we will be able to resume our strategic bombing campaign against southern England, which we had to abort after they found a way to destroy our flying bombs in flight. Against these miracle weapons they won't stand a chance. As for Wernher von Braun, as the most important member of our rocket program he will receive the prestigious "German National Prize for Art and Science" this year, an award that I created in 1937 to replace the now discontinued Nobel Price. He is eager to construct better and bigger rockets, that can fly even further into space, maybe one day even to the moon. An intriguing plan that we will certainly realize, once we've won the war. But for now he will have to make do with improving his existing designs to maximize their military usefulness.

a4production.jpg

1942-12-29
After a few follow-up battles we are now in full control of Egypt and Northern Africa. While a small contingency is pushing further south to occupy the rest of Nile valley, our other forces are preparing for our next big operation in the region.

northafricaconquered.jpg

Soldiers of the Africa Corps with a flag of the defeated British Africa Army.​

1942-12-30
After his victories in Northern Africa, General Rommel has returned to Berlin to meet with the rest of the General Staff and to discuss the plans for our next move in the Mediterranean Theater. With our forces stationed in Istanbul, the Sinai Peninsula and in the Caucasus Mountains, it is tempting to combine these three forces in an attack on the oil-rich middle east. While I'm preparing for this years big new years party in the Reichskanzlei, my generals have started to work out the details for the upcoming operation, codenamed "Unternehmen Kreuzzug" (Operation Crusade).

rundstedtandrommelplani.jpg

Von Rundstedt and Rommel in the OKW in Berlin.​

How nice of Der Führer, to set some resources off to scientific victories like this in the middle of a world war.;)

Really awesome job here; you've certainly made this a fascinating AAR! Keep it up!

Very nicely done. Time for Rommel to get his Feld Marshall's baton and then onto Iraq and Persia for the oil fields.

I know it may be a ways off, but I'm looking forward to seeing Rommel leading the charge onto US soil. Very fun AAR to read. My current game as Germany is a disorganized heap compared with yours. Ah well, one can dream I suppose :rolleyes:

I know, been checking in daily, been a while.
I'm terribly sorry for the long delay. I was on a trip last weekend and was unable to get to my computer to write a new update. But I promise there will be an update with a brand-new operation soon.

Very nicely done. Time for Rommel to get his Feld Marshall's baton and then onto Iraq and Persia for the oil fields.
I tend to keep my Generals with so many good traits, like Rommel, von Manstein and Guderian, at a lower level of the command chain. Sadly the ability to earn new traits was only reintroduced (it already was in HoI2) with the current expansion that I don't own yet, which means that I'm stuck with the few trait-rich leaders I got. At the moment those leaders are each commanding their own, trusted Panzer Corps. But recently I've come to the conclusion that their high skill-level (of about 5) is wasted as corps-commander. I think a round on promotions to army-commander will be in order. The position of army group commander will be reserved for those rare jewels that have reached level 6 and above, without too many valuable traits. And the command of my only army-theater (the OKH or "Oberkommando des Heeres") will be reserved for the old war horse von Rundstedt, for reasons of historical correctness (with him being in charge of "OB West" for most of the war).
So in short: No Field Marshal's Baton for Rommel, but a promotion is very likely.

PS: After a lot of thinking, I've decided to leave Rommel & Co where they are, why change a running system? ;-) There will however be some changes on the army group level.

Last edited:
Lol dimt3! How true for all of us who love this game.

The wait is killing me. Mkoll needs his fix :p

Status
Not open for further replies.