• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For me the challenge of this game is to be able to mass as many troops as i can to defeat Italy, and if they are outnumbered and can't defend all their coats it's normal. The Axe was never able to defend all it's coats. I will play as the allied did in Operation Shingle, land and try to encircle Italians troops.

The Italian wars continues:
During the campaign landings are massively used and the Italian Army is so weak and has lost so many troops that Germany has to send reinforcements.

First landing:
multiplelanding1.jpg

landing2r.jpg

landing4.jpg

landing5.jpg

The high command is happy, the operation is a success but the troops are exhausted so the offensive is hold on a defensive line.

The second landing:

landing6.jpg

landing7.jpg

landing8j.jpg

landing9.jpg

And the third: the fall of Italy:

landing10.jpg

landing11.jpg

landing12.jpg

The Mediterranea is no safe and French ships are coming back to the Atlantic and the lost convoys will soon be replaced.

For me the challenge of this game is to be able to mass as many troops as i can to defeat Italy, and if they are outnumbered and can't defend all their coats it's normal. The Axe was never able to defend all it's coats. I will play as the allied did in Operation Shingle, land and try to encircle Italians troops.
So you're taking advantage of a crappy AI (not sufficiently defending) and the crappy amphibious system. The latter could be avoided, the first mitigated.

Wikipedia article about Anzio landing:

Force dispositions at Anzio and Cassino January / February 1944
The landings began on January 22, 1944.
Although resistance had been expected, as seen at Salerno during 1943, the initial landings were essentially unopposed, with the exception of desultory Luftwaffe strafing runs.
By midnight, 36,000 soldiers and 3,200 vehicles had landed on the beaches. Thirteen Allied troops were killed, and 97 wounded; about 200 Germans had been taken as POWs.[11] The 1st Division penetrated 2 miles (3 km) inland, the Rangers captured Anzio's port, the 509th PIB captured Nettuno, and the 3rd Division penetrated 3 miles (5 km) inland.
In the first days of operations, the command of the Italian resistance movement had a meeting with the Allied General Headquarters: it offered to guide the Allied Force in the Alban Hills territory, but the Allied Command refused the proposal.

Yes i am exploiting game mechanism but no country can defend all its coats, even in reality. And i choose to attack were there are no troops.

Maybe if you let the game running since 1936 you will have 0 neutrality in 1939 and not just load the scenario. I agree that the invasion of Spain and Portugal were neither historical or useful, but i had a free army and I couldn't start the war with Italy because Japan would protect them. Also I think that Spain could have helped Germany for territories in Africa like Morocco if the war has stalled in France. Beat them was a way to secure this border.

maybe at the end of this AAR I will make a list of what I think to be unrealistic. The French neutrality is one of the points....(this one can be easily corrected)

Last edited:
The Alps blocks the French Army and tight combat is expected to access to Germany.

alps1.png

During the first phase the goal is to size the passes:

alps2.png

The offensive in the East broke the German defense line:

alps3.png

Troops are retiring from the front to protect the hole so a major offensive was ordered:

alps4.jpg

alps5.jpg

At the end of the campaign we hold the mountain but the troops are exhausted so a short break was ordered:

alps6.png

The offensive began: the goal is Munich:

alps7.jpg

alps8.jpg

alps9.jpg

Losses are heavy and we lacks more than 60 000 men. It's the first exhaustion battle of the war, and the weak french Air Force can't protect the troops against German bombers (only 5 interceptors).
A join offensive with the Maginot Line army was ordered to encircle Germans troop:

alps10.jpg

alps11.jpg

The French Army started a global offensive and the German Army can't hold the line, victory is close !!

alps12.jpg

alps13.jpg

Bad news, Japan enters the war ! But the priority remains Germany and it doesn't changes French plans. A week later Japan attacked the USA and they joined the allies. United we will won !

japanv.jpg

The offensive goes on, Berlin is the objective:

alps14.jpg

alps15.jpg

The first battle of Berlin was a disaster as troops were not ready:

alps16.jpg

Japans lands in Indochina and we only have a single division in Saigon, reinforcement are send.

japan2x.jpg

We finaly won !

theendm.jpg

The new map of the world:

aprsm.jpg

Next objectives are Hungary, Romania and Indochina. Most of the french fleet has been transferred to the Pacific and 10 divisions.

I don't because if i want to invade USSR, it would be easier not to have Poland in my way.

I don't knows if I stop the game here or if I continue until the fall of the Axis or if i attack USSR. The war against Romania, Hungary and Japan will not be very challenging but USSR is a big piece.

You did cheat and exploit game weaknessess. Replay without doing that and you'll find a challenging game which undoubtly will provide for a much more interesting AAR.

A lot of cheating in this game.
Without cheats, there would be no way you could beat Germany in 1941. Even on Very Easy difficulty, you wouldn't do it so fast.

You did cheat and exploit game weaknessess. Replay without doing that and you'll find a challenging game which undoubtly will provide for a much more interesting AAR.

Stop reading the AAR then? You keep commenting as if this is a personal insult to you. Let him write what he wants to write theres an entire AAR section full of other ones to read instead. Seems a bit harsh to continuously have a go at him?

Even if you do it right though, amphibious assualts in HOI3 are far, far, far too simple. They can be pulled off in haste, without air or naval superiority, and 0 planning really. Just load some guys into into transports and go. IMO, the entire amphibious assualt structure in HOI3 needs a massive overhaul.

Even if you do it right though, amphibious assualts in HOI3 are far, far, far too simple. They can be pulled off in haste, without air or naval superiority, and 0 planning really. Just load some guys into into transports and go. IMO, the entire amphibious assualt structure in HOI3 needs a massive overhaul.

Actually not in some cases. I completely planned out the assault, sent out a group of 3 recon wings (playing AHOI), and when I prepared to land my men, an entire corps of Panthers were there waiting. I quickly had to circumvent some of my force, and engaged in a massive battle losing 80,000 of my men out of 120,000. The enemy lost about 65,000 men. And also, I almost lost naval superiority, when two Kriegsmarine carriers came by.

Stop reading the AAR then? You keep commenting as if this is a personal insult to you. Let him write what he wants to write theres an entire AAR section full of other ones to read instead. Seems a bit harsh to continuously have a go at him?

Not at all. He complained that the game so far hasn't been very challenging, I simply repeated why it wasn't.

Not at all. He complained that the game so far hasn't been very challenging, I simply repeated why it wasn't.

I didn't complain hat the game was not very challenging, I played France a lot of time (5 games), I elaborate different strategies, and it's the first time I succeed (expect nuclear strike in 1945.....). I tried to extend the Maginot line, to build a massive air force, to play historical and hold a line in Belgium. This is just the best strategy I found.

Also I said that continuing the war will not be very challenging. (size Romania and Hungary: joke, Japan ? they didn't sized China and are at war with the whole world)

I will make a full comment about what I think to be cheating (only one point and not landing....) and talk more about the strategies I used.

Where I cheated:

First: the countries I attacked
note: I played a much more aggressive France that the 1936 one and I don't want t try to replay the history.
-Spain : close to the Axis (receive troops during the civil wars, protection from the Italian Navy...), a possible threat
-Persia: attacked by the USSR and the United Kingdom just because they wanted the Persian corridor. I attacked them because I wanted their oil and I admit that USSR could have protested and claimed territories in the North of Persia but we can't make these kind of agreements in HOI3 and oil is in the south.
-Portugal: Okay, it was nice to have all the Peninsula but the few resources/manpower/leadership I earned do not change the game.
-VP rush on Ethiopia: they were attacked by Italy 3 years before and they hated them, the collaboration goverment was weak.

The landings: for the Italian campagain I used nearly half of the French army (200 brigades) and all the Navy, Italy had 238 brigades
-Sardigna landing: 10k vs 50k
-Sicilia landing: 40k (garnison) vs 4 armor and 6 infantry division and I don't no why but it was easy....
At this and after the losses in Africa Italy only had 181 divisions. (so French has a clear numerical superiority)

First landing in the south of Italy: 80k for Italy, 150k for France
After this battle Italy only have 126 divisions left....and some of its harbors are no longer defended...

The last landing was a final attack on a demoralized army that lost half of its troops in 6 months. And as always I outnumbered them even with the Germans reinforcements.

The main question is why does Italy was not able to hold the French landing ?
-first expect the famous Dunkirk landing I didn't know that we land on harbors.....(D Day, Provence, Sicily, did they land on Palermo ?)
-you can't put men on every beaches, and even in a medium fortified area like Normandy this first line only hold one day so even if it's not shown in the game it's not a big problem
-you need to have quick interventions forces to push the enemy back to the sea bust Italy didn't such forces... and an attack on the front line can block the enemy troops troops while others are landing behind.
-Air superiority: Sardinia and Albania have good airports.
-Naval superiority:The whole French Navy + 40 % of the Royal Navy= 2*Italian Navy
They suffers heavy losses even if I didn't show them.
-landing boats: I had more than 18 transports in two different fleets. Ok, the game allows me to land without much planning but why the developers didn't make a system like the paratroops one were you losses organisation while landing ? Also troops should land with fewer supplies and boats should be able to supply your troops like air transports. The landing system is what it is, but I think it is quite realistic .

For me the only cheat I used is that because I was Lacking of troops I left only a 3 divisions in Spain and North Africa but for example I didn't touch the Indochina division. A great harbor like Toulon was undefended. Sparring of 60k to protect them should have been hard but I didn't needed to protect Atlantic harbors as we control the English channel.

The things stated above is not cheating, it's just being Gamey, which makes the game absolutely no fun.

What we mean by cheating, is that you opened console ( ` ) and typed in ''noneutrality'' so you could attack all these countries.