+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Armoured France

Armoured France

How the French blindés defeated Germany

In 1918 with the Renault FT-17 France had the strongest and the more efficient armored force in the world and it lead it to victory. In 1936 with the rising of the German power French leaders decided to rebuild this force so the new Armée Blindée was created with 25 armored regiment with 2 mediums tanks brigades and 2 motorized divisions. This Army was scheduled to be ready by 1939. Also every technologies related to armored forces have been develop in priority.

The France situation:

The Northen border will be hard to defend so the French Generals have planned three battle plans:

Plan1:

Plan2:

Plan3: send reinforcements in Poland
    for: -will divide Germans forces
    against: -will divide French forces to
    -Poland will be very hard to defend
    -if Poland falls, it will be hard to repatriate French forces
    -USSR can stab us in the back

After a long debate between Plan 1 and plan 2, the Plan 2 won. The plan 3 was totaly passed by.

Interesting...

Although to be frank the premise does assume a coming war, the invaison of Poland, and the Germans will re-enact the Schlieffen plan. So in that sense you've really got the '1-up' from the get go here.

In fact at the outset of WWII it was assuming that france did have if not the best, one of the best armoured tank forces in the world, with tanks like the Char and Renaunt FT series.

Again not too historically minded...but if we ignore that aspect and instead look at an aggressing move from France in HoI, it should be interesting to see how easliy Germany falls, and then if you want to go futher and unite Europe or take on the Soviets or something of that nature....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanks_o...nterwar_period

Hi,

plan 2 is practically a carbon copy of the historical French plan in case Poland was attacked by Adolf(Hypothèse Rhenanie or Saarlouis, don`t remember exactly which name is correct).
    So it`s not really using hindsight, it`s re-enacting history.
    The only fault with this plan was that it wasn`t executed. Gamelin stopped the French offensive on 12 Sept 1939, partly influenced by reports from Poland where the situation wasn`t as bad as he was led to believe, but mostly by his personal flaw, great fear of responsibility.

Considering that Germany had engine lubricants for less than 3 months when the war started it can be argued that Gamelins decision led to a WW II of abt. 6 yrs duration instead of a Franco-Polish-German war of abt. 6 months duration.

Good luck with this, never enough French AAR:s.

Rgds, Oldtimer
    KNOWLEDGE RESULTS IN PREJUDICE

Germany attacked Poland on the first of September and France immediately executed the plan. Poland was estimated to fall quickly so the assault must be fast before Germany could withdraw its best troops from the Eastern front.

Germans troops are outnumbered and the attack goes well.

Poland will fall soon and the British landing is not going well, French generals estimated than the British forces don't make a foothold big enought.

With more than 30 000 french soldiers kills and despite the advice of French Generals the government decided to stop the attack. They expect Germany to accepted a peace if we hold the line long enough. Also the Spanish and the Italian borders need to be reinforced.
    Last edited by leazriz; 10-04-2012 at 15:38.

HoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

leazriz, go check the HoI3 rage -thread, I made a very vivid ragecomic about British A.I, on the last pages

Strategically though, your position will still be precarious if you loop through the Ruhr area all the way up to the Netherlands, such a weakly held static defense, even with riverline, would make me cringe at least. I mean what's gonna happen when the Luftwaffe and panzers come back from poland?

Luftwaffe helped the Wehrmacht punch through Meuse river at Sedan, what makes the Rhine so different (in-game)?

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Very interesting concept and experiment; I don't suppose saving the Brits is a possibility? That might be a worthy long term goal, perhaps. I'm subbed!
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- 1st quarter ACAs for 2014 underway!

Japan or Bust (probably bust) An Uesugi CoP AAR -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- In progress
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2|EvW Missile Silo - check before posting!

It can be considerated as a cheat but i have decided to reload the game because Britain lost 111 divisions (more than half of their army.....) and only 50 000 men remains in England.

Because of the French massive assault, Germany withdraw its troops from the harbors, so the only way to prevent he British landing is to confiscate British transports...

(yes I load a save game)

So the situation is pretty much the same but Britain send troops:

Spain is going closer to the Axis and the Southern border is menaced so the french government decided to attack them:

After that Portugal was attacked:

But French oil stocks are low, and the sized stocks in Spain and Portugal are not enough. Also South Africa send 12 light armored brigades. They are completely outdated so they can't be used on the Western front but they can be useful against a weak country like Persia... and its oil stocks.

The french expeditionary army: (the South African divisions will stay to protect Persia)

Oil shortage is now far away ! The Production has been increased by 2 and 40 k of oil has been sized.

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper Fi

If you are willing to cheat that way it is much simpler to send you the UK units to you as exp
    forces. It is probably possible to do it without cheating by creating an allied objective
    in one of your ports as soon as the wat starts. In one of my games as Poland the
    UK and France sent me their whole armies as expe forces to Danzig when I declared
    war on Lithuania.

Very interesting AAR, but cheating is not fun for me. Once you open the console
    you can just do whatever pleases you.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis IV

I figure that since the British AI invasion is basically a bug (AI throwing away 100+ divisions should not happen...), reloading save is not really cheating in this case. Cool plan.

I tried to create an allied objective in France, England send me 3 divisions but they still land in Germany....
    Also i returned back the ships in October and England still had had a transport fleet of three ships. After Germans divisions were back from Poland to protects the harbors so England didn't tried to land.
    For me it was the easiest way to prevent Britain from landing in Germany, forcing them to give me their troops as an expeditionary force is a much more bigger cheat for me.

Finally in my other AAR Britain made 3 unsuccessful landings in Europe, all too small to be efficient and i don't want it back in this game.

So the war goes on:
    Blocked by the French army, Germany decided to attack the low countries. But the French reserve army was ready to hold the line:

The German army was easily stopped, and a new reserve army was created:

Also news from the Western front:

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneKing Arthur IIMagickaMarch of the EaglesSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIStarvoidMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Blog Entries
    How did you manage to attack Spain? It should be neutral here, yet you seem to have dowed them.

Blog Entries
    0? in FTM 3.05? That's ... ridiculous...

noneutrality much?

Italy enters war in August and the Allies decided that i will be the new priority. Italy is weaker than Germany and convoy raiding must be stopped.

The reserve army will be used to attack Italy in many fronts at the same time:
    -Sicilia
    -Sardigna
    -Lybia
    -Etiopia

French troops lands in the south of Italy to prevent Italian troops from retiring:

The Italian garnison in Lybia has been smashed by the French tanks:

After the fall of Ethiopia, the remaining Italian Forces, without supplies, will be crushed and are no longer a threat.

The French attacks went very well, all the objectives were sized with only few loses. The main problem is that we lose more than 20 convoys so new ones were rushed into production.

Blog Entries
    You could have made it interesting by actually giving Italy the ability to fight in any of these places. You could as well have attacked the ports themselves from sea instead of landing next to them. You could also have refrained from landing on the tip of the Italian boot, as this would have allowed Italian supplies to flow down there and they might have had the chance to fight back or retreat.

What's stopping you from landing right on top of all their VPs anyway?

-Italian coast are not protected, I can't do what i have done in Germany. Also each time I attack I have both numerical and technological superiority. For example Sardinia was protected by a division and I land 5... For me the only game exploiting fight is the defeat of Etiopia were I vp rushed Abis Adeba.

-land on the harbors like in Dunkerque? and unlike the D-Day, the Sicilian invasion and the Provence landing ? The only reproach i made about landing in HOI3 is that you can make rush landing with only transports without protection and that troops are ready just after the landing and have too many supplies.

-I will not make vp rushing in Italy because it be much harder than slowly encircle Italian troops.

Blog Entries
    That's shortcomings of the game, not neccesssarily to be followed. The AI does not defend non-port provinced, hence the call to attack the ports to make it somewhat more interesting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast