• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Forgot to add this, but the Welsh culture has somehow jumped across to Cornwall, leaving Wales itself to be absorbed by the Saxon way of life. It is now the only county in the game which still has Welsh culture. Sort of sad.

Oh, one last thing!

The few remaining counties England controls (mainly achieved via crusades) are run by an Arabic Catholic King. Weird.

So, I just married some random 30 something year old lady with an inheritable claim on the Kingdom of England to the most fertile courtier of mine I could find, and have since converted her to Norse as well...

C'mon, just one son...

I started as the Duke of Novgorod, lost Novgorod in a war with Poland, swore fealty to King Poland Pants because that put me in a very bad position (at the time, the Bulgars and some other pagan nations were pretty strong, and considering my army had just been wiped out...). Now I have inherited some Rurikovich land, and forced claims on others. I am far more powerful than I was when I owned Novgorod, and I will even have the opportunity to claim that back soon enough (Poland placed a weak duke in charge). I will also start usurping some other Rurikovich titles, effectively making the Kingdom of Poland the strongest entity on the map.

Hell, as things stand now Boleslav's (Polish King) levies are about a quarter more than what the HRE can raise. The Cuman's might be more powerful. I haven't really seen them in action.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm going to start converting the east to Catholicism. XD

I started as the Duke of Novgorod, lost Novgorod in a war with Poland, swore fealty to King Poland Pants because that put me in a very bad position (at the time, the Bulgars and some other pagan nations were pretty strong, and considering my army had just been wiped out...). Now I have inherited some Rurikovich land, and forced claims on others. I am far more powerful than I was when I owned Novgorod, and I will even have the opportunity to claim that back soon enough (Poland placed a weak duke in charge). I will also start usurping some other Rurikovich titles, effectively making the Kingdom of Poland the strongest entity on the map.

Hell, as things stand now Boleslav's (Polish King) levies are about a quarter more than what the HRE can raise. The Cuman's might be more powerful. I haven't really seen them in action.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm going to start converting the east to Catholicism. XD

In my game, the east has started converting the west to Orthodoxism!

Kingdom of Denmark colonised Finland and became kings of both Denmark and Finland. Later they lost the Danish crown to some rebels and became just Kings of Finland. Then later on their dynasty died out and kingdom of Finland was passed on to a branch of Capet dynasty, who ended up becoming Finnish as well, and the crown of France passed on to this branch. And thus Franco-Finnish empire was born with a culturally Finnish Capet king ruling over it.

*The ERE controls the entire coast of the Black Sea, and has blobbed with Georgia and conquered its way down adjacent to Jerusalem.
*The HRE is a massive pot of civil war because after however many decades of ruling it, the Von Shauenbergers (Can't ever recall their proper name... They took over in 1115 or so) decided they wanted to convert to some heretic religion or another. On a side note, the HRE is also all of Norway, Sweden, and Finland. They were quite successful until the whole heresy thing. It would be nice to get ahold of that imperial crown, but even with the wars, I'm not sure I want to risk it just yet.
*The duchy of Turov conquered all of the other Russian states, formed Rus, and conquered its way through the Cuman people, only to finish uniting Khazaria just in time for the Golden Horde to show up and conquer them, which turned the entire area into a massive warzone. The Golden Horde is no longer involved, mind - Rus more or less collapsed after it won its freedom. The current liege appears to be insane, so that's probably the problem.
*The Seljuk Turks managed to resist the impulse to mess with the ERE after the first war and have since gotten their butts kicked by the Ilkhanate, with almost identical results as with Rus, at least until they won in a once and for all manner and started conquering the area the Ilkhanate had managed to take... And then the Ilkhanate's leader became a Shiite, so what's left of it is more or less at peace, with the exception of assaulting assorted minor groups.
*The pseudo-empire of England, Brythain, France, Ireland, Aragon, Castille, and Scotland (in that order) has exploded rather dramatically, as the title suggests. This is incidentally the dynasty I was playing as, and it mostly got sparked by William I's great grandson inheriting what amounted to all of southern France. Hilarity ensued, and so did Cathars, which led to a decent chunk of France (and Andalusia) becoming English. Scotland is the most recent bit, as a result of a recent wedding that ended when the Queen of Scotland stabbed the king of Super!England, so my current King is just waiting for her to die so Scotland is part of the super kingdom proper.
*The pseudo-empire of Castille, Leon, Galicia, Navarra, and Aragon united about half of the Iberian peninsula before I moved in, but that was mostly through Jimena inheritance shenanigans. Really, I was doing them a favor by taking that land away - so many civil wars it wasn't even funny... They are still around, as the Kingdom of Leon, Galicia, and Navarra, but their actual holdings are just enough of Northwestern Iberia to hold onto their de jure titles. I should note that the only reason I managed to beat them was because of the wars. Very lucky.
*Al-Andalus is currently a one province minor sharing space with Mauretania, but until I started persecuting them, they were doing well enough, considering they'd conquered enough of Iberia to crown themselves and had also started moving in on the southern bits of Super Leon.
*Denmark performed a hostile takeover of the Lithuania area, and is now slowly consuming Poland.
*Nubia got promptly shot. Then they moved to England, married into assorted courts, and now all of northern England is ruled by vaguely Arab looking people. It's quite strange.
*Egypt/The Shiite Caliph is bigger than when they started, but have started losing ground to the Great Purple Blob that is ERE-Georgia.
*The Sultan of Africa united his general area, took over Sardinia and Sicily in a permanent manner, and actually managed to briefly own Rome. Scary stuff.
*The Knights Templar are living happily in Oxford. I can't quite remember when I told them they could, but I'm pretty sure I gave them permission, so oh well. Their armies are currently hired out by rebellious Germans, like the rest of the holy orders.
*Genoa owns Venice and a chunk of Italy that isn't already ruled by the HRE.
*I'd imagine any minor groups left are quietly hoping none of the above happen to notice them.
*The Irish dukesduchesses and French Dukes have recently decided they don't like me, so it's possible I'm going to be the next blob on the receiving end of Catholic Empire Collapse Syndrome after the HRE. Gonna have to be careful about not converting to any Heresies or anything like that...

Anyway, things are escalating rather quickly, since a rather significant amount of the above happened in the last... 70 years or so. Quite fascinating. I fully intend to acquire the Holy Roman crown, if only so I can make dealing with dukes Someone Else's Problem except for the purpose of rebellions... Dealing with this many vassals at once is kind of difficult, shockingly.

*The ERE controls the entire coast of the Black Sea, and has blobbed with Georgia and conquered its way down adjacent to Jerusalem.
*The HRE is a massive pot of civil war because after however many decades of ruling it, the Von Shauenbergers (Can't ever recall their proper name... They took over in 1115 or so) decided they wanted to convert to some heretic religion or another. On a side note, the HRE is also all of Norway, Sweden, and Finland. They were quite successful until the whole heresy thing. It would be nice to get ahold of that imperial crown, but even with the wars, I'm not sure I want to risk it just yet.
*The duchy of Turov conquered all of the other Russian states, formed Rus, and conquered its way through the Cuman people, only to finish uniting Khazaria just in time for the Golden Horde to show up and conquer them, which turned the entire area into a massive warzone. The Golden Horde is no longer involved, mind - Rus more or less collapsed after it won its freedom. The current liege appears to be insane, so that's probably the problem.
*The Seljuk Turks managed to resist the impulse to mess with the ERE after the first war and have since gotten their butts kicked by the Ilkhanate, with almost identical results as with Rus, at least until they won in a once and for all manner and started conquering the area the Ilkhanate had managed to take... And then the Ilkhanate's leader became a Shiite, so what's left of it is more or less at peace, with the exception of assaulting assorted minor groups.
*The pseudo-empire of England, Brythain, France, Ireland, Aragon, Castille, and Scotland (in that order) has exploded rather dramatically, as the title suggests. This is incidentally the dynasty I was playing as, and it mostly got sparked by William I's great grandson inheriting what amounted to all of southern France. Hilarity ensued, and so did Cathars, which led to a decent chunk of France (and Andalusia) becoming English. Scotland is the most recent bit, as a result of a recent wedding that ended when the Queen of Scotland stabbed the king of Super!England, so my current King is just waiting for her to die so Scotland is part of the super kingdom proper.
*The pseudo-empire of Castille, Leon, Galicia, Navarra, and Aragon united about half of the Iberian peninsula before I moved in, but that was mostly through Jimena inheritance shenanigans. Really, I was doing them a favor by taking that land away - so many civil wars it wasn't even funny... They are still around, as the Kingdom of Leon, Galicia, and Navarra, but their actual holdings are just enough of Northwestern Iberia to hold onto their de jure titles. I should note that the only reason I managed to beat them was because of the wars. Very lucky.
*Al-Andalus is currently a one province minor sharing space with Mauretania, but until I started persecuting them, they were doing well enough, considering they'd conquered enough of Iberia to crown themselves and had also started moving in on the southern bits of Super Leon.
*Denmark performed a hostile takeover of the Lithuania area, and is now slowly consuming Poland.
*Nubia got promptly shot. Then they moved to England, married into assorted courts, and now all of northern England is ruled by vaguely Arab looking people. It's quite strange.
*Egypt/The Shiite Caliph is bigger than when they started, but have started losing ground to the Great Purple Blob that is ERE-Georgia.
*The Sultan of Africa united his general area, took over Sardinia and Sicily in a permanent manner, and actually managed to briefly own Rome. Scary stuff.
*The Knights Templar are living happily in Oxford. I can't quite remember when I told them they could, but I'm pretty sure I gave them permission, so oh well. Their armies are currently hired out by rebellious Germans, like the rest of the holy orders.
*Genoa owns Venice and a chunk of Italy that isn't already ruled by the HRE.
*I'd imagine any minor groups left are quietly hoping none of the above happen to notice them.
*The Irish dukesduchesses and French Dukes have recently decided they don't like me, so it's possible I'm going to be the next blob on the receiving end of Catholic Empire Collapse Syndrome after the HRE. Gonna have to be careful about not converting to any Heresies or anything like that...

Anyway, things are escalating rather quickly, since a rather significant amount of the above happened in the last... 70 years or so. Quite fascinating. I fully intend to acquire the Holy Roman crown, if only so I can make dealing with dukes Someone Else's Problem except for the purpose of rebellions... Dealing with this many vassals at once is kind of difficult, shockingly.

Wow! That was very detailed - thank you! I myself can hardly keep track of the world and what other people are doing in it...

Norway took half of England and is constantly in a state of fighting the various English Dukes for control over the country. If that wasn't messy enough, Scotland decided that it, too, wanted a piece of the action and invaded from Ireland, through Wales, and into England Proper. And for some reason France also has a territory on it. What's odd is that William the Bastard did win the kingdom and held it for two generations until I look away and WHAM, it's Norway's land now. England even has a territory in Sweeden, somehow.

Poland has basically eaten all of the small Pagan lands, but more of them (or they're Orthodox) have founded Rus. Hungary has been eaten by the HRE, the HRE lost an independance war from Tuscana. The Papacy itself has expanded into Sicily, Sicily moved to Africa, and that's just a huge mess.

The Byzantine Empire has basically abandoned trying to expand in Europe and instead has taken a majority of the Middle East with few rebellions despite an underage female Empress with several bad traits. For some reason the Muslims I've been fighting in Iberia have been too disjoint to stop me Holy Warring them into a state of nonexistance over the years.

I started as King Harold of Godwin, defeated both the Norse and the Normans and reigned into my 70s. My heir got deposed with a little help from Lord Excommunication and became Duke of Cornwall (along with lots of titles in Southern England). I didn't realise how many titles I had and claimed independence for Cornwall as a kind of suicide mission (it was late and I didn't really want to continue). I won the war and the whole of Southern England became known as Cornwall!

France submitted to the Ilkanate when the Ilkanate hadn't even left the Middle East. A hundred years of holy wars, assassinations, crusades and general mayhem ensued...

Continuing my game as the Count of Penthièvre, its about 1210 now and I am King of France and Aragon. In about 1120 France went ballistic and conquered all of North Africa and Sardinia. I helped my son grab the French throne from his uncle in around 1170, and the poor fool was then exiled to his remaining kingdom of Africa.

So the world right now is as follows -

- A Catholic, Capetian Kingdom of Africa struggles to hold itself together during multiple civil wars and rebellions. It also still holds the Duchy of Burgundy and a smattering of annoying lime green provinces across France.
- Iberia is almost entirely Islamic, save the Kingdom of Leon (situated in Galicia, hasnt owned Leon in 100+ years), my French holdings in Aragon and Navarre, and a small, suspiciously Arabic-looking independant Jimenan count in Alto Aragon.
- The previously huge HRE is crumbling in civil war, with Norway, Iceland, Swabia, Saxony and Modena claiming independance.
- Sweden is HUGE (owns all of Sweden and Finland), and more suprisingly, is completely Norse Pagan. I've no idea how it has survived.
- Hungary and Poland have both more or less collapsed into about 10 or so factions, including the Duchies of Transylvania, Lesser Poland and Kiev.
- England managed to get a de Normandie ruler onto the throne of Scotland for 2 generations before it fell back to the Dunkelds, who are now battering them silly.
- ERE hasnt so much as twitched in over 100 years. They must be plotting something...

In my game as Kingdom of Brythain (I started as Gwynedd) , France is in constant power struggles. Currently almost whole West France is controlled by King of Leon who was driven out from Iberia by Sweden and the islamic nations. The most interesting thing though is that somehow, the Papacy was overtaken by Sunni Muslims, and now I have a Muslim Pope who is quite much hated by all Europe and just ordered a Jihad to Antiochia to take it from Byzantine heathens. I am not sure if there is any way to get it back to good Catholics.

Poland has become a superpower which is slowly taking over Scandinavia. Oh and HRE annexed Hungary and Northern Italy. And the Norwegian king is constantly marrying his courtier outcasts from Salian dynasty to my daughters so they can become countesses of Shetland and whatnot. :p

I feel so stupid.

I selected myself as mentor to my second-eldest son, and taught him to be ambitious instead of content. I didn't fully realise at the time that this isn't a good trait for a vessel, especially a vessel of mine!

I forgot about this however and blindly gave them a considerable amount of my land... a decade or so later, he declares war on me, rises up his fellow vessels (I thought they liked me) and overthrows me.

I should've paid more attention earlier on.

Anyway, because he was Arabic (and has somehow transformed Pagan), Scotland is pretty much universally hated. I keep having my levies drawn up (I'm a vessel now, remember?) and forced to march elsewhere. It's annoying.

How I've messed up history: as Sancho IV of Navarra, I survived, legitimized my only son, betrothed him to Agnes of Aquitaine and married a Moorish princess. My son's son inherited Navarra and Aquitaine in time, and then inherited Aragon. In the meantime, my brother-in-law the Sultan of Mauretania kept me busy. And helped me conquer Zaragoza. :)