• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great idea but I was wondering how you interpret this statement:

"So a stalinist government can't lower the taxes under 35%"

Since when do stalinist governments have taxes?

The taxation system is a sort of transposition of the political system of Victoria and Victoria 2. When a Planned Economy party comes to power in victoria the game doesn't allow the taxing of classes at below fifty percent, and social reform spending can only be thirty percent at a minimum.

I think I consider the taxation part of fiscal policy the least important of the main macroeconomic policies in regards to a grand strategy war game. Anyways, good work :)

Last edited:
About elections, again...
I was thinking...

Why don't you let the player choose the winner just like in vanilla election events?
It could then work this way:

If country doesn't already have election events + democracy = or >5 OR left/right between 4 and 6
then set local flag: "new_democracy" (or wathewer)
So... decision avaliable: Call Elections
efects: +1 freedom ; +1% IC efficiency ; ; set the election result event for 60 days ; randomly three of the events below will fire.

events that can fire during the electoral process --- efects
- Smear campaign promoted by the opposing candidates --- +2 dissent ; +1 freedom
- Illegal use of public resources by current government in electoral campaign exposed --- +5 dissent ; -100 money ; +1 fredom
- Bad performance in campaign --- +2 dissent
- Famous person supports the concorrent --- +5 dissent
- Scandal in the opposition lines --- -2 dissent ; +1 freedom
- Great performance in the speech for the nation --- -2 dissent ; +1% IC efficiency
- Strong government propaganda --- -2 dissent ; -100 money
- Exchange of benefits --- -10 dissent ; -200 money ; -1% IC efficiency

After 60 days of the elections call, it's the great day and the player may choose between the following options --- efects:
- Elect conservative right --- +3 right ; +4 dissent ; the decision of calling an election will be avaliable again in 6 years
- Elect right --- +1 right ; +1 democracy ; +2 dissent ; the decision of calling an election will be avaliable again in 4 years
- Elect left --- +1 left ; +1 democracy ; +2 dissent ; the decision of calling an election will be avaliable again in 4 years
- Elect radical left --- +3 left ; +4 dissent ; the decision of calling an election will be avaliable again in 6 years
- Keep current --- +1 dissent ; the decision of calling an election will be avaliable again in 5 years

In this case I think you don't need to set a cabinet to each of the government types and for each single country, but I guess that only by moving the sliders, the game shall switch the ministers in cabinet automatically.

For AI you could set the following AI chances of made this choice:
- Elect conservative right --- 5% chance
- Elect right --- 10% chance
- Elect left --- 10% chance
- Elect radical left --- 5% chance
- Keep current --- 70% chance (IMO would be better not change that much the AI play, you know...)

And... parallel, you could write an event that checks:
If "new_democracy" is true but democracy < 5 then clear the flag, making it impossible to call out new elections.

Well, that's it.
:)

Last edited:
First Thread updated

+Balanced Effects
+Added different effects based on country Total IC:
If a 25IC country chooses to tax 10% of income will have different results (Every option has 5 or 6 possible results) than a 65IC country that chooses the same option . There are 4 category now 25IC>65IC>100IC>200IC.
+added a new gradual increment tax system.
For example... at the beginning of the game you can choose different tax options.
10% gives a -5 free_money malus
25% gives a -4 free_money malus
35% gives a -3 free_money malus
and so on...
In the 1.00 version if you choose, the following year, to change from 25% to 35%you would always get the -3 malus (and that's not correct because you already have a malus of -4 due to the 25% taxation. In 1.01 you will get a +1 (so now you have the -3 malus of the 35% taxation).
So now it simulates correctly a Tax Slider.
This required a LOT of work because every time you want to change the taxes, the game checks your currently tax system and changes the bonus and the malus you can have if you want to change the system.

Why don't you let the player choose the winner just like in vanilla election events?
It might be nice to include an option with the election event that says something like: Let the People decide!
Which would obviate the need for player choice, having ai choose for them, either for historical or for random. Some people hate choice. (not I, but some)

Interesting. I'm playing a different game now, but I'll be following this. Using events to set tax rates and general social spending policies is an intriguing idea. Naturally the greater social spending levels will also have to reduce revenues as lower taxes would (in a non-dynamic system).

Having no minimum wage provides me with pretty insane manpower. 10 a day is crazy. Since your screenshot shows way lower numbers, what could be causing it?
Is it the new manpower growth numbers I'm using? The ones devs posted that supposed to be used in 1.03?

Sorry to necro this, but I just saw it and I think it's pure gold.

The bonus given to IC with lower taxes should represent the extreme free market slider instead of giving a bonus to production. While the government spends time building military units, the private investors spend their time building more factories (which then can be used by the govt).

One observation: No minimum wage should have this effect, taking into account economic theory=

-A dissent hit. People won't like the idea that the government is letting capitalists set salaries to what they want, even if that means lower unemployment
-A IC bonus like lower taxes. Not having to pay a minimum wage incentives capitalists to invest and build factories.
-A manpower bonus IF above fails. People join the army.

Merce, I think it's been recently merged into or adopted by the latest Mixed Mod patch. Check out that mod there's a lot of economic decisions involved.