• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tormentor

Captain
76 Badges
Jun 6, 2004
www.danielepiergiovanni.com
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Iron Cross
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
Taxes and Reforms 1.01

Taxes and Reforms

Current Version: 1.01
14/04/2012

CHANGE LOG:
+Balanced Effects
+Added different effects based on country Total IC:

If a 25IC country chooses to tax 10% of income will have different results (Every option has 5 or 6 possible results) than a 65IC country that chooses the same option . There are 4 category now 25IC>65IC>100IC>200IC.
+added a new gradual increment tax system.
For example... at the beginning of the game you can choose different tax options.
10% gives a -5 free_money malus
25% gives a -4 free_money malus
35% gives a -3 free_money malus
and so on...
In the 1.00 version if you choose, the following year, to change from 25% to 35%you would always get the -3 malus (and that's not correct because you already have a malus of -4 due to the 25% taxation. In 1.01 you will get a +1 (so now you have the -3 malus of the 35% taxation).
So now it simulates correctly a Tax Slider.
This required a LOT of work because every time you want to change the taxes, the game checks your currently tax system and changes the bonus and the malus you can have if you want to change the system.

There are 9955 lines of code only for the Taxation event chain but now it should work correctly.

I wrote those decisions in order to allow the player to choose every year the taxation system in the country.
This system is based on ideology. So a stalinist government can't lower the taxes under 35% while a market liberal government can't raise them over 25%.
Everytime you choose an option you will get instantly a bonus or a malus (money off map production). After 360 days you will recieve a year-end economic report that will show you the results of your taxation policy. This report is based on a semi random choise system (one_action = yes)
For every action (10%-25%-35%-50%-65%-75%-85%) there is a year-end economic report with multiple action possibile. So If you choose to lower the taxes you won't get every year the same result. Every action keep count of the total IC of your country so the results will vary from country to country
At the end of the year, after the year-end economic report, you can choose again your taxation system. Obviously this time you can choose "Leave the same plane as the previous year." in order to leave it as it is.
I tried to write a more complex system with poor, middle, rich strata taxes but it was too much complex. This was a sketch for a simplified system (only poor and rich strata) but it was still too much complex (it needs a loooot of events combination)

so the only solution was to simplify it...

how it works:

Example: You choose to lower the taxes under 10% you will get the following bonus/malus

-10% Dissent
-5 off-map production of money

after a year you could recieve the following results:

(bad!)
"Perhaps we need to change something!"
money = 1000

(not so bad)
"Maybe we should wait another year to see results"
+1 off-map production of money
money = 1250
a capitalist build a new factory in a province

(good)
"Great!"
+1 off-map production of money
money = 1500

(very good)
"I knew I could trust my Minister of Finance!"
+2 off-map production of money
money = 1750

(exellent)
"I knew I could trust my Minister of Finance!"
+2 off-map production of money
money = 2000

Then I wrote just one social reform decision (minimum wages reform). It works more or less like the taxation system. Every year the decision is once again available and you can change your policies.
It is based on ideology.
You can choose between None, Minimum, Low, Acceptable, Good

example..

Code:
None
10% Dissent	                                        #Left wing oppositions dissent
Offmap Manpower 0,1                          #The condition of workers are bad. Part of the Poor Strata Join the army for a decent wage.
+2 off-map production of money		#The government saves on state salaries
+5% off-map IC	 		                #Capitalist and Buisnessmen exploit workers
Our domestic policies have moved 2 toward Political Right 
Our domestic policies have moved 1 toward Authoritarism

You will get slightly different bonus/malus based on your ideology

Installation:
1- duplicate your \Mod\Darkest Hour Full folder (rename it as you wish)
2- copy the content of the rar file into your new Darkest Hour Full folder
3- Lunch the mod with the Luncher

Tell me your thoughts and your opinions. It needs to be tested and balanced.
oh and there are two bugs in the current 1.02dh version. When the offmap production of money malus/bonus has been applied the ai won't set the correct amount of ic to get the proper money input. Sometime you will have to adjust it manually and the first tax choise will not show the offmap production in the tooltip.
I don't know if this mod idea could be of any interest, so if you think this idea could be improved with other events or adjustment I will be happy to hear your opinions ;)

Attachments

• diagramma.jpg
    diagramma.jpg
    241,1 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Last edited:
Since I'm busy with way too much stuff, would you be interested in implementing an economic overhaul for AAR? I can send you some (mostly empty) design docs with overarching themes (government confidence, stock market health, financial liquidity, etc) and you'd have complete freedom over its details (well...stuff I haven't decided on yet, which is a majority of the system).

Last edited:
Since I'm busy with way too much stuff, would you be interested in implementing an economic overhaul for AAR? I can send you some (mostly empty) design docs with overarching themes (government confidence, stock market health, financial liquidity, etc) and you'd have complete freedom over its details (well...stuff I haven't decided on yet, which is a majority of the system).

actually i never tried AAR but if it's possible to create something that would be compatible either with dhfull(vanilla) and aar it would be great. The only problem is to find a way to simplify all the mechanism of a game like victoria and convert itto Darkest Hour. If you want to send me those design docs I could take a look at them.

From our skype chat, very rough draft:

First there is a decision called "Call General Elections" which is available for democracies when they are at peace and when local_flag = election_time is not true
14:55
This decisino starts a campaign which lasts 60 days (decision triggers "Election Day" event in 60 days)
and sets local_flag = election_time
Now a bunch of random events/decisions will be available during this period of time which will affect dissent
Dissent will ultimately determine who wins the election
dissent > 10 = opposition wins
< 10 = you win
14:56
(yes, one problem is people may wait before they get dissent = 0 to take the decision)
Inner Circle 14:56
this sounds pretty much like the election system from VicII
Rayan 14:56
But what we can do to counter that is get dissent be raised by 5 with Call General Election decision
14:57
but let's talk about this later (and also about what incentives players may have to start elections)
14:57
anyway, during the "campaign" (local_flag = election_time), these events will affect dissent
AC 14:57
but then you would simply set the sliders and hope that the correct ministers are loaded up?
Rayan 14:57
for instance:
Sex Scandal
Rayan 14:58
and decisions which will lower dissent (basically, you milk the cow: Raise State Pensions lowers dissent but costs lot of money)
Rayan 14:58
After 60 days, Election Day happens (one_action)
Rayan 15:01
Election Day gives

if dissent < 10
we win
- 2 dissent
clrlocalflag

if dissent > 10
Opposition wins
+2 dissent
if left > 5, then +2 right
if left < 5, then +2 left
clrlocalflag
15:01
now that's the big pictures
Questions are:
- How to make players use it and enjoy it?
- How to make it work with historical election events already in place?

- How to make players use it and enjoy it?
- How to make it work with historical election events already in place?

Well, I think since you call an election, the sliders have to move to "democratic" and "freedom". Other bonuses could be the decrease of dissents (already planned as I read) and perhaps a slighty increase of IC efficiency, to represent all the sectors of economy geared up during the electoral period.
IMO the coolest thing about this would be the ahistorical player choice to turn authoritarian countries into democracies... with elections! I'm tryied this once with Germany, but was very frustrating, since when I reached a democratic state the cabinet simple changed without firing any election event...

About the second point, you may let countries that already have election events untouched for now... Or you could add a decision only for human players: follow historical election (vanilla events) x random elections (brand new written ones).

Some suggestions I could give about the dissent hits during electoral campaign are:
- Smear campaign promoted by the opposing candidate;
- Illegal use of public resources by current government in electoral campaign exposed;
- Bad performance in political debate;
- Public complain about current taxes policy (!!!);
- Workers strike;
- Sex scandal (as mentioned);
- Famous person supports the concorrent;
- Misunderstandings between the government and the congress.

Events that could lower dissent:
- Smear campaign against the opposition;
- Great performance in the speech for the nation;
- Friendly press;
- Misunderstanding between opposition parties;
- Strong government propaganda;
- Exchange of benefits (a bad and dirty thing, really, just buying votes...)

That's for now, but I'll be back... :)

Last edited:
Very interesting... I think there will be some problems..
1- you need to set an event for every democratic country that sets the local_flag = election_time because every country has elections in different years (think about the USA and the UK) and think about countries that become a democracies during the game (not so many but if a player wants to play ahistorically..)... is there a way to trigger an action when a country changes its political system in order to set the election_time flag? (if this country goes from dictatorship to democracy then local_flag = election_time for example).
2- I don't know what mechanism could be more realistic... the sex scandal and such shouldn't fire not only during the election time. People should get an idea of ​​what party to vote during the elections throughout the duration of the present government and not just during the election period. I don't think that the "dissent" variable is realistic enough to simulate all the parameters that in real life (or in games like victoria) influence who will win the elections. The amount of IC allocated to consumer goods simulate how much the government strives to manage public goods (roads, bridges, hospitals, schools ...) and if the government does not assign enough IC, dissent increases.
If the population has always been satisfied with his government (dissent = 0), it seems quite unrealistic to suddenly change his mind and choose to vote for the opposition at election time only based on events relating to the election campaign (sex scandals, corruption, smear campaigns).I've always found the use of the consumer goods slider pretty boring and I thought of using some of the events and decisions to give a greater challenge to the player by forcing him to choose whether to spend ic for domestic issues or increase savings, but raising dissent.
If we introduce a similar system, we would find ourselves in a situation where at the time of elections dissent is almost never zero, but oscillates around values ​​that may influence, along with events such as sex scandals, smear campaigns, etc.

however i could

- add bonus/malus dissent to the year end economic report (my taxation system events) to simulate the dissent for a wrong economic policy.
- add other events for internal and foreign policy (for example diplomatic crisis...) that add malus/bonus dissent.

but the problem with major countries like USA and UK that have different election dates still exists.
A system like that could work for minor countries (with a random date trigger in order to avoid that all minor democratic countries have election the same day)

i'm sorry for my english, it takes me a long time to write and then correct what i wrote (with my girlfriend who knows english better than me ^_^ )

but the problem with major countries like USA and UK that have different election dates still exists.

Oh, well, as I said before, IMHO countries that already have election events should be let untouched for now...

The authoritarian countries should be able to call an election if they get "democratic" or if they change from a radical "right" or "left" political point of view to a more balanced one.
As this last prerequisite shall be very different from one country to another, the first election dates of these countries will be very random too.
But, after the first election, a next one can be automatically set for... say... 4 years from "now". The only thing that can stop the event to fire automatically could be the possibility of the country get authoritarian again...

I would like to create a system for election times someday. Let me know if there any interest for it, especially in terms of AAR integration. I can work on it this afternoon..

Sounds good, although how it would work with historical (important) elections is confusing. Maybe only have it for minors? I kind of like having historic ministers for majors.

Political-Economic connection should be dissent only imo, easier to abstract.

Actually I'm fixing and balancing the tax system. The problem is that you'll have the same 6 or 5 random year-end event both for ussr and bulgaria(so if you choose to tax at 10%, and at the end of the year you get the best result, you'll have the same bonus). I'm dividing the year-end report by total national ic. (25ic/65ic/100ic/200ic)
So basically with the same taxation system, every nation will have a different range of possible results (the best possible result for a 25ic nation for having choosen a 10% tax system is +2 offmap money, 1250money,+2 new factories; meanwhile for a 200ic nation it's +2 offmap money, 2250, +5 new factories)