• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KillingMeSoftly

First Lieutenant
59 Badges
Mar 5, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Been playing as Brabant latey, trying to form the Netherlands (just shy of a core right now). It's currently ~1500 and through many bloody wars across Europe, I've finally become the Holy Roman Emperor. I've vassalized four of the six electors, so it's fairly garaunteed I'll continue to be the Emperor for as long as I like. I've managed to pass the first two reforms, since the previous emperors were never able to pass anything. One day I'd like to unite the Empire, but that's a while off, yet.

I have been doing alright collecting imperial authority by restoring princes that Switzerland, Bavaria, and Austria gobble up. But the Protestant Reformation finally kicked off and heretical princes are killing any gains I make in collecting authority. Should I switch over to Protestant myself (I've always been Catholic so far, so this would be a new experience for me)? I believe forcing HRE states to convert to the emperor's religion will give authority. Or should I stay Catholic, and let the reformation saturate Europe and then go back to collecting authority? I'm on the far side of Innovative right now due to events, so converting to a new religion will take a long time (0.10 priests per year, and that's with Judea conquered).

Any other tips or nice strategies for collecting imperial authority? None of the member states ever call me into a war to protect them, and I've only had one defensive war against a foreign power.

Thanks in advance!

Releasing member states from other countries or as your vassals will net you 10 points for each one. Otherwise, you will get 5 points for each member state which converts to the emperor's faith. Seeing as they are converting to Protestant and Reformed, there are 2 ways you can go:
  1. Stay Catholic and reforce Catholicism through diplomatic option or forced conversion through war
  2. Convert to Protestantism or Reformed and wait for random event or force-convert other states
This page from the EU3 Wiki will give information on the different religions to help your decision: Religion Specifics. Good luck.

Soon someone will say border hordes bla bla....but it's gamey as hell. So don't say it. I suggest you use the reformation to your advantage...if you stay catholic you just switch the protestants back, or you PU nations and get cores, then when you feel you got enough you release and form the HRE, and then you got cores on all anyway. (see that you border bishoprics and republics though)

Have you considered taking the Unam Sanctum national idea? It'll give you a casus belli against all those pesky protestants and reformed folks. You can force-convert all those german minors back to catholism that way.

Why would he do that when he can just ask them to convert to his religion? >_>

Why would he do that when he can just ask them to convert to his religion? >_>

Because he needs imperial authority to demand religous unity, and he might not have any because he loses authority every time a member state switches away from his religion.

Soon someone will say border hordes bla bla....but it's gamey as hell. So don't say it. I suggest you use the reformation to your advantage...if you stay catholic you just switch the protestants back, or you PU nations and get cores, then when you feel you got enough you release and form the HRE, and then you got cores on all anyway. (see that you border bishoprics and republics though)

And don't take this as a personal attack, but how is forcing PU's on member states, inheriting, then releasing them again just to get more imperial authority knowing that the final reform will give them right back to you less gamey than all the work that it would take for Brabant(even a strong Brabant) to take a territory bordering a horde and then fight the horde off?

Thanks for the replies!

I think I will remain Catholic and let the reformations sweep through the Empire. I've never been the Emperor so I didn't realize I could ask member states to convert to my faith. I see it requires having some Imperial Authority. I had 10 at one point and the option lit up. Sinai finally cored and I picked up Quest for the New World, so I'm spending time having fun in India right now while I wait for things to settle into place.

One last question; can I still demand religious unity after 1650, or does the option get shut off like holy wars do?

Because he needs imperial authority to demand religous unity, and he might not have any because he loses authority every time a member state switches away from his religion.

And don't take this as a personal attack, but how is forcing PU's on member states, inheriting, then releasing them again just to get more imperial authority knowing that the final reform will give them right back to you less gamey than all the work that it would take for Brabant(even a strong Brabant) to take a territory bordering a horde and then fight the horde off?

so all he needs is a province to add to the empire? >_>

well, people surround the hordes, and wait for IA every 5 years...I think it's less gamey to release a vassal to get IA. Just my opinion though.

simon: And there are never other wars to be fought...

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one then. I'm not saying that for Brabant to go out of its way to take territory next to hordes for the sole purpose of getting authority isn't gamey, by the way. Just that releasing vassals that you have cores on only because you know you'll get them back right away is at the top of my list of gamey tactics in EU.