• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tanngnjost

First Lieutenant
55 Badges
Apr 6, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • King Arthur II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
I'm playing as House Bamburgh based in Northumberland.
So I married off my (preferred) heir to a countess, hoping to inherit her lands. Then she goes off and makes him heir of a bishopric. I've killed her, invited him to my court, and given him land. Nothing seems to be working. Is there a way out of this?

Another thing, I made a bastard with a princess of Norway and he inherited her claim. At the time Norway was ruled by Sweden, but when every single Swedish vassal rebelled at once I decided to try pressing his claim (hilariously mirroring real Norwegian history). It worked, but now the country is divided between three dukes. Shouldn't his being the de jure king of Norway let him press claims on these people? He has no casus belli on any of them.

The title is a cultural reference most Norwegians should get. ;)

I'm playing as House Bamburgh based in Northumberland.
So I married off my (preferred) heir to a countess, hoping to inherit her lands. Then she goes off and makes him heir of a bishopric. I've killed her, invited him to my court, and given him land. Nothing seems to be working. Is there a way out of this?

Another thing, I made a bastard with a princess of Norway and he inherited her claim. At the time Norway was ruled by Sweden, but when every single Swedish vassal rebelled at once I decided to try pressing his claim (hilariously mirroring real Norwegian history). It worked, but now the country is divided between three dukes. Shouldn't his being the de jure king of Norway let him press claims on these people? He has no casus belli on any of them.

The title is a cultural reference most Norwegians should get. ;)
there really isn't a way out except for reloading a save and getting your heir into your court.
the AI has an evil tendency of letting your heir become a bishop. don't let them.

If you die soon, your heir would be ruler ;)

If you've given him land, he's become a feudal vassal, and so shouldn't change to a bishop when he inherits the bishopric.

For some reason, kings have no CB against independent dukes within their de Jure borders.

I do believe that's going to be changed in patch 1.05:

Kings and Emperors can now also take counties inside their de-jure realms, as we changed how Ducal Claims work to now be a "De Jure Claim", so if you as King of Burgundy holds a province that is de jure France, France can always attack you for it.

Unless I've misunderstood Balor. :)

Thanks for the help, guys. I did make my heir a vassal by giving him a county, but he still stands to inherit the archbishopric. So I guess that when the archbishop dies, my heir will become a prince-archbishop of the other house. Maybe if I make him a baron instead?

Thanks for the help, guys. I did make my heir a vassal by giving him a county, but he still stands to inherit the archbishopric. So I guess that when the archbishop dies, my heir will become a prince-archbishop of the other house. Maybe if I make him a baron instead?

No, if he already HAS land, he should remain a count with a new bishopric he can give away. Assassinate the archbishop and see what happens.

Okay, worth a try.

That should say when the bishop dies, he stands to inherit the bishopric. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
I've given counties to bishops before. Maybe I'm confusing titles.

I had the bishop killed as Isaios suggested and another guy inherited the bishopric. Problem solved!

My biggest issue with wives appointing their hubbies to bishops really don't make any sense historically, because while some bishops had common law wives and mistresses the practise of clerical marriage was really something which the Catholic Church tried to eradicate during this time period and duchess or countess who would appoint their husband to bishop would soon find that her realm is under interdict and the "false bishop" is excommunicated and/or deposed.

I did make my heir a vassal by giving him a county, but he still stands to inherit the archbishopric. So I guess that when the archbishop dies, my heir will become a prince-archbishop of the other house. Maybe if I make him a baron instead?

As I understand it he is feudal if you have given him a county. Also I don't think anyone who is landed can actually be invested for any sort of bishopric.

I suspect it will update given time, but as I understand it bishopric nominees are completely excluded from succession, so until it does he won't be eligible for feudal inheritances.

Killing the bishop in question is a good idea - even just as a test and then reloading so you know where you stand.

Save the game, exit, load as the wife, and appoint someone else as bishop.

It's the only way, unfortunately. And yes, it breaks immersion and is boring but as I said it is the only way to not have your heir disinherited.