+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help! My heir is next in line for a bishopric!

Help! My heir is next in line for a bishopric!

I'm playing as House Bamburgh based in Northumberland.
    So I married off my (preferred) heir to a countess, hoping to inherit her lands. Then she goes off and makes him heir of a bishopric. I've killed her, invited him to my court, and given him land. Nothing seems to be working. Is there a way out of this?

Another thing, I made a bastard with a princess of Norway and he inherited her claim. At the time Norway was ruled by Sweden, but when every single Swedish vassal rebelled at once I decided to try pressing his claim (hilariously mirroring real Norwegian history). It worked, but now the country is divided between three dukes. Shouldn't his being the de jure king of Norway let him press claims on these people? He has no casus belli on any of them.

The title is a cultural reference most Norwegians should get.

Regent-Custodian of the Light riknap's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanngnjost View Post
    I'm playing as House Bamburgh based in Northumberland.
    So I married off my (preferred) heir to a countess, hoping to inherit her lands. Then she goes off and makes him heir of a bishopric. I've killed her, invited him to my court, and given him land. Nothing seems to be working. Is there a way out of this?

Another thing, I made a bastard with a princess of Norway and he inherited her claim. At the time Norway was ruled by Sweden, but when every single Swedish vassal rebelled at once I decided to try pressing his claim (hilariously mirroring real Norwegian history). It worked, but now the country is divided between three dukes. Shouldn't his being the de jure king of Norway let him press claims on these people? He has no casus belli on any of them.

The title is a cultural reference most Norwegians should get.
    there really isn't a way out except for reloading a save and getting your heir into your court.
    the AI has an evil tendency of letting your heir become a bishop. don't let them.
    LUX INVICTA! Rebuild the Empire of Megas Alexandros! Restore Roman Glory! Banish the Dark Ages!
    >>[Subsidiary Modules] [Frequent Questions] [Gameplay Guide] [Changelogs] [LUX INVICTA AETERNA]<<

Saeculum Obscurum: A Late Antiquity Mod, Fall of the Western Roman Empire and Rise of the Early Medieval Era. [beta state]
    LIBERT3 Primary Portal, for the Lux Invicta Buildings & Events, Retinues & Tactics, Traits & Technology Module. [INTEGRATED]
    Advanced Battles & Combat Depth Essentials. Planning portal for a comprehensive tactics overhaul project. [WIP - RESUMED]
    El Psy Congroo: Battle for world-line delta. A role-playing invasion modification. [WIP - EXP farming]

If you die soon, your heir would be ruler
    "By God's blood, thy father slew mine, and so will I do thee and all thy kin."
    The Lancastrian Lord Clifford, on the slaying of Yorkist Edmund, Earl of Rutland, during the Battle of Wakefield, 30 December 1460.

For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIMagickaSengokuVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

If you've given him land, he's become a feudal vassal, and so shouldn't change to a bishop when he inherits the bishopric.

For some reason, kings have no CB against independent dukes within their de Jure borders.
    I mean exactly what I write.
    Unless I'm being sarcastic, ironic or exaggerating or understating for effect. Or using allegory.

Mein Führer! I can walk!
    Soylent Grün ist menschenfleisch!!

I do believe that's going to be changed in patch 1.05:

Quote Originally Posted by Balor View Post
    Kings and Emperors can now also take counties inside their de-jure realms, as we changed how Ducal Claims work to now be a "De Jure Claim", so if you as King of Burgundy holds a province that is de jure France, France can always attack you for it.
    Unless I've misunderstood Balor.

Warlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

That's how I misunderstood it as well So I hope he mispoke and we're all in agreement.

And there I confused myself
    Unless I'm being sarcastic, ironic or exaggerating or understating for effect. Or using allegory.

Mein Führer! I can walk!

Thanks for the help, guys. I did make my heir a vassal by giving him a county, but he still stands to inherit the archbishopric. So I guess that when the archbishop dies, my heir will become a prince-archbishop of the other house. Maybe if I make him a baron instead?

Thanks for the help, guys. I did make my heir a vassal by giving him a county, but he still stands to inherit the archbishopric. So I guess that when the archbishop dies, my heir will become a prince-archbishop of the other house. Maybe if I make him a baron instead?
    No, if he already HAS land, he should remain a count with a new bishopric he can give away. Assassinate the archbishop and see what happens.

Mein Führer! I can walk!

Okay, worth a try.

That should say when the bishop dies, he stands to inherit the bishopric. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by Tanngnjost; 08-04-2012 at 17:22.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis IV

but aren't archbishopric of ducal level? it would mean he would upgrade from count to archbishop, like when a count receives a duchy.

I've given counties to bishops before. Maybe I'm confusing titles.

I had the bishop killed as Isaios suggested and another guy inherited the bishopric. Problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Herl View Post
    but aren't archbishopric of ducal level? it would mean he would upgrade from count to archbishop, like when a count receives a duchy.
    No, Princebishop is county level. Prince-Archbishop is Ducal level.

Or, that makes it sorta yes

Mein Führer! I can walk!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

My biggest issue with wives appointing their hubbies to bishops really don't make any sense historically, because while some bishops had common law wives and mistresses the practise of clerical marriage was really something which the Catholic Church tried to eradicate during this time period and duchess or countess who would appoint their husband to bishop would soon find that her realm is under interdict and the "false bishop" is excommunicated and/or deposed.
    "Reddite ergo quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo."

-Iesus Nazarenus

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I did make my heir a vassal by giving him a county, but he still stands to inherit the archbishopric. So I guess that when the archbishop dies, my heir will become a prince-archbishop of the other house. Maybe if I make him a baron instead?
    As I understand it he is feudal if you have given him a county. Also I don't think anyone who is landed can actually be invested for any sort of bishopric.

I suspect it will update given time, but as I understand it bishopric nominees are completely excluded from succession, so until it does he won't be eligible for feudal inheritances.

Killing the bishop in question is a good idea - even just as a test and then reloading so you know where you stand.

Save the game, exit, load as the wife, and appoint someone else as bishop.

It's the only way, unfortunately. And yes, it breaks immersion and is boring but as I said it is the only way to not have your heir disinherited.

+ Reply to Thread