• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
He won't live for long

Hello again and welcome to…

CHAPTER VIII. Alexandru IV (part 1)

The new monarch isn’t a genius, in fact almost everyone thinks he’s an idiot. And, like all idiots, he feels he has to show it. From the first day of his reign, his main concern was finding a war he can join. In March 1527 his search was finally successful: Byzantium declared war on the Ottomans, Algier and Adal (with Algier being the leader here). Of course, we join in as the leader of our alliance.
This time our monarch wanted a piece of the pie: the tourist attractions of Smyrna, owned by Algier. So, he sent the troo.., uh, I mean tourists, across the Bosphorus to get it. But in the Constantinople our men lost their way; the beauty and the marvels they found here were beyond their imagination, so they throw themselves in an hedonistic exploration of The City. Of course, they got some unexpected help with their holyday from the small ottoman fleet that was blocking the straits. Unfortunately for them though, their vacation was short, because our fleet was a bit bigger and stronger and was based in the Black See.

capviiifigura1.jpg

Not all of our people in the Army were pleased with this outcome

With the road cleared, our men had no more excuses, so, in sorrows, they had to live behind the brothels and taverns museums, art galleries and libraries of Constantinople and cross into Asia Minor. Once they got here, they lost no time and quickly conquered the provinces of Smyrna and Hamid (owned by Algier) and the moved on the turkish provinces giving a bit of help to Byzantium (not that they were in need of any help). The war was going smoothly and the muslim alliance was loosing. The first to realize that their efforts were futile were the Ottomans. The lost Yazgod to Byzantium, some cores and released Ramazan. Soon after came Algier: I got Smyrna from them and they also released Karaman.
The peace that followed turned to be very short:

capviiifigura2.jpg

Guess whose side Lithuania did take?

Yes, you are right! They entered the war against Poland, the senior partner of their union. Again. And with Bavaria on their side this could be a gruesome war. With all that Lithuanian armies pouring into Poland and the Bavarian ones overwhelming Croatia I didn’t know what to do: go west to meet the Bavarians or go north and invade Lithuania and give the poles some break. I decided for the last option. My choice proved to be a fiasco. Yes, my armies entered Lithuania and conquered province after province, destroying two 12 k armies in their way, but this was not enough to take them out of the war. But Poland was loosing badly (it turned out that Bavaria send some of their armies in Poland also) and, to make things even worse, Croatia, left without any help, was defeated and practically dismembered in the peace talks: they lost Dalmatia to Bavaria and had to release Ragusa, Montenegro and Serbia.

capviiifigura3.jpg

Poland (and my self for that matter) is in deep sh*et

From Croatia and Poland the Bavarian armies invaded my provinces: Bessarabia an Hum fell Transylvania was under siege, when, out of nowhere, Bohemia declare war. Of course, Poland said “uncle” and dishonored our alliance, living me alone in the storm. Damn you Poland for this!!!

Of course, my African “friends” – I name here Kanem Bornu – took advantage of this and started their own war against me (it seems this one here is on the way to becoming a treasured tradition). So, the fact that Poland finaly made peace with Bavaria as the leader of our allience (they gave away Hinterpomern and released Krakow) was not of much help. I was still in war against a more than capable enemy – Bohemia. All I had to throw against it’s fresh troops was two depleted armies; and they also had technology on their side. Actually, there was another thing I could throw to them: peace proposals. Which I did, month after month, only to be rejected by the to-busy-to-conquer-my-provinces bohemians. After three years I turned from asking for peace to begging for peace, as the number of provinces under bohemian controlled and my war exhaustion grew. But begging or asking for peace, made no difference: the answer was always rejection. Until they came with their own:

capviiifigura5.jpg

Of course, I accepted this

The African war ended with me paying for peace (this kind of end is also becoming a tradition).
Not a very pleasant curse of events, isn’t it? And very unfair too since we didn't feel responsible for any of the wrong action of this two wars. No sir! For we are romanians, so we can always find someone else to blame for our failures: the tatars, the hungarians, the germans, the jews, the turks, the russians, the soviets, then the russians again, the blacks. Oh, wait, the last ones are somebody else’s scapegoats. But, even without them, there still are plenty of them to choose from. And the winner is… Poland!! Because they really wanted Riga, no matter who were they allied with and what monsters this will bring to life!!!! on top of this, they abandoned me to the will of Bohemia. Ghrrrrr!!!!
Some other things happened while I was at war: the provinces of Bosnia, Hum and Graz all cored (that's the same Graz I will lose to Bohemia), the province of Edirne became Romanian and, also, this bad news:

capviiifigura6.jpg

Why didn't he choose another, less dangerous hobby like chess, reading or playing EU III ???

This means bye bye Westernization for the time being. A few month later a new heir was born: Alexandru (yes, another one). He is not a bad one (ADM 4, DIP 7, MIL 7) but with his 4 ADM is not what I need.
The war against Bohemia ended in March 1536 and left me with high war exhaustion and revolts popping every other month. But the peace I so much needed and wished for was over in a few month, this time because I entered a war against Adal. I had to thank Byzantium for this one.
There is only one thing I can say about this war: it didn't help decreasing my war exhaustion.

capviiifigura7.jpg

Look at it!! It just turned 21. Now, it can legally purchase alcohol and tobacco

Now you can see why a made a top priority from getting out of the war no matter the costs. It turned out that the costs were pretty high: I paid Adal 225 talers for peace.
The only joy I had in these hard times was seeing Poland trashed by Bohemia.

capviiifigura8.jpg

HA HA HA!!! This will teach you Poland: what goes around, comes around.

This is all for now my friends, hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:
vasziljevics- from some patch this became a problem. Poland gets owned EVERY damn time.

Great AAR. I like, when the history told in it is quite humours and unrealistic, but..

DAT MOLDAVIA. What is it now? Is it Romania? Is it Yugoslavia? Nah, it's just the Balkans, everything's screwed there..

Poor Poland...

Why not poor me??!!:angry::p
On a more serious note, Poland is realy realy, realy undestimeted in this game. I've almost never seen them surviving past the 1650's. When they did, they were a OPM.
I don't now why. Maybe is there oriental tech group and the vecinity of the Golden Horde that drags them down. If they manage to survive the tatar's onslaught to 1550's, they are easy pickings for Bohemia, who, by this time, are more advanced in technolgy

vasziljevics- from some patch this became a problem. Poland gets owned EVERY damn time.

Great AAR. I like, when the history told in it is quite humours and unrealistic, but..

DAT MOLDAVIA. What is it now? Is it Romania? Is it Yugoslavia? Nah, it's just the Balkans, everything's screwed there..

Thanks for your appreciation!
The Balkans though are not such a mess in this alternative history. There are almost no south slavic people, only romanians and greeks here, so no conflicts at all. It's quite boring if I think about it.

The Balkans without South Slavic people and conflicts are not the Balkans. It's just that "some place in Europe" :p

CHAPTER IX. Alexandru IV (part 2)and Alexandru V (part 1)
Hello again and a happy new year to all!!!
I'm being late, as usual. Is just that I got bored of playing EU III (i know, that's blasfemy) and I run out of material for this AAR. I took care of that, my game is now in 1620, I will update this regularly.

So, where were we?

Oh yes, the year was 1539 and I had just bought my way out of the war against Adal for 225 talers. And since I'd had to pay a lot of money for peace, I was hoping to enjoy its benefits for a while. You now, it's like when you buy a very expensive item: you are very careful with it and presume that you will use it for a long time. It was the same with my new "acquired" peace.

The use I found for this peace period (which was very long I mind you, so this might become boring) was… doing nothing, just waiting for my war exhaustion to decrease. But, since my war exhaustion had already skyrocketed, there were a few revolts that kept me awake.
There were also some imports from Switzerland, but not soldiers, cheese, watches or chocolate as you might think, oh no! For our people are not concern with material things, it is the spiritual ones that we seek. So, what we’ve imported from Suisse (and particularly from the city of Geneva) was a religious idea: Reformation. This means my third orthodox province that becomes reformed! Talking about alternative history!!!

capixfigura1.jpg

Come on!!!

This is becoming a problem: I have no missionaries and my sliders are giving me a negative growth so I'll be stuck with this situation for a long time. Since we are at sliders movement, I'd already had mine in position for Westernization, all I needed was the proper monarch to actually do it. So, I started to move my sliders towards free people and a couple of time a was lucky enough to get the "Better Administration" event out of it. This helped lowering my inflation.

capixfigura2.jpg

Something nice for a change!

I continued my improvement programs in my provinces, favoring military buildings for more manpower and also fortifying all my cities to level 2. My "Settlement policy" in Bulgaria was finally successful and the province turned Romanian in 1547. In the same year there was a very short war against Kanem Bornu: they started it, I quickly conquered two of there provinces then offered a white peace, which they accepted.
Another boring “doing-nothing-while-waiting-for-the-war-exhaustion-to-reach-0” years followed and in 1553 I got two alliance offers: one from France, which was very tempting except they were already in a war against Castile and their humongous fleet and I didn't want a piece of that. So i said no. The other came from Poland. They are really something, stabbing me in the back and then wanting to be my friends again (maybe they want their knife back). They must think I’m an idiot. Well, Poland, this might come as a surprise, but, despite appearances, I’M NOT!!!

capixfigura3.jpg

Tempting France and Shameless Poland

The New Year 1556 came with some good news: Our two African provinces cored. That meant I could make recruitments in these provinces. Which I promptly did. Some of these new recruits were even promoted to higher ranks. One in particular shows some promising qualities: a natural born leader, fearless in front of the enemy and with unconventional ways of imposing discipline among the troops.

capixfigura4.jpg

I pity the fool!!

The good stuff just kept pouring over me: in 1557 The Great Moldavian Hope was born as a 7-6-7 heir that, hopefully, will show us the road towards west, then a successful settlement policy in Kozani (1558), followed in 1559 by an “Cultural assimilation” event for Macedonia.

capixfigura5.jpg

All this good things happening to me!!! Is this really EU III? It can’t be!!

Now, I don’t want to hear any silly “he’s going to die” jokes regarding the future of my new heir. Or else…
At the beginning of 1560, after more then twenty years of peace, I got bored with the situation and, since Bohemia had been in a war with Burgundy for a few years, I thought going to war against them. I quickly changed my mind after seeing who their friends were.

capixfigura6.jpg

Ouch!! What a menacing bunch!!

They look like the Congress of Vienna: Bavaria instead of Austria, Bohemia is Russia, some German minors as Prussia and, over all, the all seeing eye of the English lion guarding the status quo. I shall call them the Congress of München. How original of me!!!
Let's get back now to my New Moldavian Hope heir? Guess what happened to him!? Yes, you’re right! He died.

capixfigura7.jpg

Now I can recognize the EU III in this kind of events

And since my choice for solace was a maid, I got another heir right away.

capixfigura8.jpg

This one I shall call The Great Moldavian Joke

As long as that Congress of München stays in one piece there will be no war in that direction. But since I was still bored and eager for blood, I thought of taking on a more manageable opponent. So I declared war on Kanem Bornu in 1562.
The war went on smoothly, I conquered the entire country in about fife years. I took me that long because of the Terra Incognita that covered most of their provinces. Then I made peace with them:

capixfigura9.jpg

Greedy me

The Congress didn’t liked this very much, so they acted: first, England claimed my throne, then Bavaria claimed my head.

capixfigura10.jpg

They really got me with my pants down this time

To be continued…

Last edited:
mercenary's and generals.
have at least 4 cav. and try to have more regiments
so you cav is on the wings and attacks without anyone attacking them.
or attack with a smaller army then have a larger army with cav reinforce them

Your probably still pretty bad sliders (well, the Serfdom moral penalty hurt me the most playing Moldavia) don't help either, I assume...

mercenary's and generals.
have at least 4 cav. and try to have more regiments
so you cav is on the wings and attacks without anyone attacking them.
or attack with a smaller army then have a larger army with cav reinforce them

I think the Serfdom - Free people slider was somewhere in the midle and I had that ideea that gives me +1 morale (which they din't), so morale was not the problem, but the diference in land tech. I'd been at peace for more than 20 years, my generals had died and I had low land tradition. They, on the other hand, had prety good generals and a lot of manpower so each battle was a slaughter house (with me as the sacrificial animal). Also, mercenary are not my favorits, I rarely hire any.

CHAPTER X. Alexandru V (part 2), Alexandru VI and Alexandru VII (part 1)

Hello and welcome to a new update to this hopefully not so boring AAR.

At the end of my last update, Bavaria had just declared war on me. And in a totally inappropriate moment. My army was smaller then theirs, they had the technology on their side (the gap was not as big as a few decades ago, but they were still 4 or 5 levels ahead of me) and, because of the 2+ decades of peace I’d enjoyed, I had no generals and not enough army tradition to hire a decent one.
On top of this, Poland must have been really offended by my refusal of their proposal for a military alliance, so they also declared war on me. This really makes me things I have to start working on my communication skills, especially on the “How to say no” chapter.
All this being said there is no wonder that after only one year of war my realm looked like this:

capxfigura1.jpg

The war is going smoothly. For my enemies.

Given my situation, I started sending peace offers to Bavaria. They said “yes” to my third try, accepting peace in exchange of Bosnia, Hum and 400 talers. Once my hands were free from the Bavarian menace, I could use them for boxing Poland out of Moldavia and beyond. And I was so successful in this, that in three years I was in control of all of their provinces. The funny thing is that I can’t remember what I asked in exchange for peace from them. No provinces, that’s for sure, since a want Poland to be strong enough to put a bit of a fight if Bohemia comes after them. I probably asked for some money since I needed to recover some of my losses after the war against Bavaria. Anyway, peace was concluded and I enjoyed it for about two and a half years. But in May 1574 the Bavarians and their cannons came knocking at my door again, promising me all kind of gruesome stuff like impaling, eviscerating and some others, that one will do to a pumpkin on Halloween.

capxfigura2.jpg

Here we go again!!!

Adal and Kanem Bornu also wanted my blood but they lacked the means to get it: a few provinces conquered from Kanem Bornu and they were happy to buy their way out for 600 talers, while the war against Adal saw no action at all.
Back to the war against Bavaria then. This time things were a bit different. First, I had two good generals to lead my armies. Also, the Bavarians didn’t show much enthusiasm in invading my provinces: one and a half years in the war and all they did was conquering a few of my vassals and sending a medium army into Moldavia. Even more, I received to alliance request from Sicily and France, both of them accepted.
After eliminating that Bavarian army I’ve told you about, I waited for more of their troops to come. But nothing happened and, after waiting for almost a year, I got bored, so I took a look on the situation. And it looked like they were at war with almost all of Europe.

capxfigura3.jpg

So this is what happens when one gets to powerful for his own health

My armies invaded, conquered their Balkan provinces (I’ve also annexed Hum which Bavaria released as Bosnia after our previous war), but, when I started to think that this war had become a walk in the park, Poland declared war and my monarch died which prompted a “Rise of Pretender” event and the associated revolt. And there is no wander that there is civil war when the new ruler is The Great Moldavian Joke

capxfigura4.jpg

The Great Moldavian Joke just got serious. But looked at that heir!!

The polish declaration of war was particularly annoying since all of my armies were in Croatia and Slovenia and, by the time they reached northern Moldavia Poland conquered three provinces. I had no choice but to offer peace to Bavaria, so I can have only one front to battle. They accepted and released Augsburg and Pommerania as sovereign states, but this didn’t change much since a week later Lithuania DOW me for Bujak. My situation seemed dreadful but Lithuania didn’t invaded immediately after their DOW so I had enough time to free my polish controlled provinces; afterwards I sent one army besieging provinces in Poland while the other was guarding the Lithuanian border and repelling all their attempts to invade my provinces. And with the help of Byzantium, who accepted my offer to revive our military alliance the situation improved considerably. I ask for a quick white peace from Poland and they accepted (I was in control of two polish provinces – Carpathia and Ruthenia) and the send the newly jobless army in Lithuania. In three year I conquered enough for them to accept my peace offer: liberation of Ukraine, Ryazan and another Russian minor, I don’t remember who it was.

capxfigura5.jpg

The three new free nations, the victorious army and their Long March West

While my armies were busy fighting the wars, the civilian servant also did they job: new buildings were ordered every time when a magistrate was available and, in 1581, Kosovo turned romanian. Also, my Government Technology advanced again for a new idea – “Shrewd Commerce Practice” and I got 4 more cores by the “Claims on our rivals” event on: Bursa, Gold Coast, Dalmatia and Cherson.
After the war nothing important happened for more then 10 years, until I DOW Kanem Bornu in 1594. Two years after, while the war was raging over the west African territories, Alexandru VI kicked out and Alexandru VII kicked in. My new heir is Constantin Musat (his name is not Alexandru for a change), a decent 7/3/6 guy.
With Alexandru VII as my ruler, I had everything I need for westernization. So I did it. Because of the westernization (and its associated stability hit) I decided to make peace with Kanem Bornu, after I annexed 2 of their provinces: they had to renounce on their claims to my territory; also 375 talers changed hands (from theirs to mine).

capxfigura6.jpg

Finally!!! Modernity, here we come!!!

Last edited: