• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pyi

Corporal
3 Badges
May 6, 2008
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Rome Gold
  • 500k Club
AD AUGUSTA PER ANGUSTA – A MOLDAVIA AAR

INTRODUCTION

Hello to you all, my fellow EU players, and, for those of you who are celebratin Easter today: Christ is Risen!
It’s been a while now since I’ve been playing this game, but, even though the idea crossed my mind, I’ve never tried and AAR before. This is my first time, so be gentle :D.
I play EU III Chronicles (which I bought and not pirated, thank you very much :D), version 5.1
Difficulty level - Very Hard
AI Aggression on normal
No lucky nations.
Everything else it’s on default.
I made o small change in the province file for Transylvania; they now produce gold instead of wool. I did this because, historically, Transylvania had (and still has) the most important gold reserve in Europe. (In fact up until the beginning of the XVI century, Transylvania was the most important source of gold for Europe).
Before I start though, I must warn you: English is not my maternal language, so don’t have great expectations when it comes of my grammar, style or vocabulary. I’m not such a good writer and I’m not very accustomed with the forum's acronyms either.
But enough with what I can’t do or what I’m not and let’s get to who I am.
I am the power behind the throne, the puppet master, the grey eminence, and, until the 1820’s, my title shall be Perpetual Ruler. Of course, I could go for Eternal President, but we are a monarchy, not a republic, and I am a more modest kind of man. Besides, this title is already taken by a dead guy from the northern part of a divided peninsula.
To begin with, I should present you our country. It’s the green, small kid that usually gets bullied by the bigger ones. In my case: Hungary, Poland, Ottomans and Golden Horde. In fact, I start the game as a vassal (and ally) of Poland and in war with The Horde. The good news is that they are also in war with Poland, Lithuania, Georgia, Genoa, Muscovy, etc.
The bad news is that they already have some 30k + soldiers at my borders, looking at my small, but valiant 2000 men army. The even worse news is that those 35k Tatars will start marching across the Dniester the moment I’ll hit the start button.
20313281.jpg
We are orthodox and belong to the eastern technology group.
As I sad before, we are a monarchy. Our monarch is Iuga Musat, not a genius, but he could be worse (the true leader of the country will be the most capable and infallible Perpetual Ruler, anyway). The heir though is more promising.
26810417.jpg
Our Domestic Policies:
21270668.jpg
This was before I moved the slide one step towards Innovative.
I also hired a few advisors: a level 3 treasurer, a puny statesman and guy that gives me some army tradition.
Now, its time to realy start this game. But first, I convert my monarch into a general (not such a bad one 0-3-3-0), asked Walachia and Transylvania for military access – which they allow, scorched Bessarabia, and then, I started marching toward Transylvania in full speed.

Last edited:
That will be all for today.
One question though: how do I make my picture bigger? So you can see the picture, not it's thumbnail.
Thanks

Last edited:
One question though: how do I make my picture bigger? So you can see the picture, not it's thumbnail.
Thanks

You should use an image host (such as Photobucket or Imageshack) instead of forum attachments.

Thanks

it looks like you've added the images using the forum image loading facility?

This is not really designed for use in an AAR, so I'd suggest you sign up with one of the many (mostly free) image hosting sites such as image shack or photobucket (& there are plenty of others). Suggest you check out the discussions and advice in the AArland FAQ - see the link in my signature

Moldavia is one of my favorite countries, so I will definitely follow this!

CHAPTER I. Iuga's and Alexandru cel Bun's (part 1) reigns

As expected, the Horde’s troops cross the Dniester and siege Bujack. It fell fairly quick, then the tatars move in looted Bessarabia. Attrition does it’s job, so about fife month and almost 12k dead tatars later, a polish relieve force crossed into Bessarabia, annihilated the besiegers then moves to Bujack and frees the province. In the meantime, my armies conquered Cherson, then Crimea (I canceled my vassalisation, so I can control the provinces I conquer. The war it’s going well for my and the alliance, the poles conquered Zhaporozhia and Kharkhov, while I’m colonizing Cherson. When this happens:
claims.jpg

A couple of well deserved cores

Finally, Cherson it’s colonized and becomes part of our great nation, a missionary is sent to spread the light of the only one true faith among the pagans, the settlement policy is enacted and soon after, Poland makes peace with the Horde.
The war has been costly. It’s true, I gain a new province – Cherson – but it is a poor one. If the Horde will declare war on me after the truce expires, I will probably sell it to Lithuania, so that I won’t have a border with the them any more. I was practically minting for the entire period of the game (now it’s November 1406) so that I already have 4,4 inflation. That was stupid really, because for the last for years of the war I was receiving war indemnities from both Poland and Lithuania (about 15 talers/month, that’s huge for a small realm like mine); but I forgot to get the treasury slider back to zero. Every magistrate I've got (1,7/month), I've invested in Cultural Tradition, I want to draft some great man and let them be hired by others, so I’ll get a few extra money.
My monarch also died in the war, (that wasn’t such a tragedy given hits stats). The new monarch is Alexandru cel Bun a more than decent monarch, which is not what I can say about it's heir, who is clearly the result of an incest.
ioalexandru.jpg

"IO Alexandru Voievod, Domn of all Moldavia, lord of the lands across the Dniester…" and his inbreed son.
You can also see the three not-so-great men of our nation.

What's important is that we are at peace, so that we can recover from the war (the war exhaustion is at around 10). But one can not enjoy peace while the map it's being populated by warmongering idiots that can't even reach us.

warme.jpg

We are at war against some people we've never heard before

Well, it seems they are not completly idiots after all. They are allied with the Ottomans. Yes, the Ottomans, that huge, green and mean country in the south, that has a bigger and more advanced army than we have. And don't forget the fleet:
turciiintrainrazboi.jpg

The turks saying "yes" when they should've said "NO"

armatasiflotaturca.jpg

Their big army is not that big

Serbia and Bosnia also declared war to us. The turks are fighting the Timurids in Asia Minor, but they are winning. We need fresh troops, so a swarm cavalry and an eastern archers regiment are currently recruited in Cherson, while our entire army (3000 men) is besieging Silistria.
asediulsilistrei.png

Siege of Silistria. Got to love the poles, the lithuanians and their dedication

With Silistria almost in our hand, a message of peace came from the Ottomans. They ask for a small amount of money, so we say no. Immediately another offer comes, this time from the Jalayrids, the lieder of the alliance: a white peace. With the bulk of the ottomans armies heading for Europe, I accepted it, hoping that this time peace will last.
And it did. Is January 1411 now, my war exhaustion is down to zero, Cherson became orthodox and the truce with the Golden Horde it's coming to an end. So, in a completely unselfish gesture I, magnanimously, sell the province of Cherson to Lithuania for the huge sum of … 0 talers. Quite a businessman I am. At least there are no more crazy tatars at my doorsteps.
I also got the mission to protect the orthodox in Silistria. This means I have to conquer Silistria, and, if I do, I'll receive a core in it.
For the entire peace period I was trying to get closer to (and eventually vassalize) Wallachia: we exchanged military access and married our heir to a wallachian princess. One could say he is very young and it will be a while until he'll be able to consume his marriage, but I was afraid that, with the incestuous history of the family, he will produce an idiot heir with one of his many cousins (female cousins that is). And I don't want this royal family growing into onother bunch of inbreeds. The Habsburgs are more then enough for Europe already..
So, I was telling you about Wallachia. Well, Wallachia got DOW by Transylvania, which was allied with Hungary, which occupied the entire country. Curiously though, they accepted peace with the walachians for just a few talers. I quickly offered the wallachians an alliance which they gladly accepted.
In august 1412 I noticed that the Ottomans are in war with both Castille and Venice, among others. I send my fleet to explore their provinces, only to stumble into a big navy battle in the Sea of Marmara.
batalienavalainmarmara.jpg

The former great, now vanishing ottoman fleet

mareaegee.jpg

Farther west, in the Aegean Sea

With the Turkish fleet out of the picture and two of their european provinces being already under siege, with my mission concerning one of their provinces and with no serious ottoman army in Europe – it can be only war. But to get to war, I need a DOW and for a DOW I need a diplomat.
ofractiedediplomat.jpg

I can't send a fraction of a diplomat, can I?

This was only a short delay. Then came another one, this time because of the truce I had with them from the previous war, truce that had yet to expire. Still, the beginning of December, saw de declaration of war on the ottomans.
But about the Ottoman War, in my next chapter.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for the quality of my screenshots, but I didn't save any of the first ones in file format, i've just copied them directly in a *.doc file. From here I had to make a *.jpeg file for each picture, so I could upload them on Image Shack, ergo the quality isn't quite what I wanted. For the following updates though, I will take care of this problem.
For the Moderator"s: if it is possible, can you move the "Contents" post at the beginning of the topic? Thanks.

@thebigboss-89 - There are a few Moldavia AAR's, but I don't think there is a completed one.
@Tudyboss - Mersi
@TonyJoe - Thanks. My next post will by just about that: survival.
@MarkusH - I had no choice but to give up Cherson, otherwise the Horde would have been all over me. I'm not in a such hurry to form Romania, it want give me such big bonuses

Tomorrow a will post a new update.

Chapter II. Alexandru I cel Bun's reign (part 2)

It's been almost a hundred years since the ottomans are the growing power of the Balkans. The greeks, serbs, bulgarians and wallachians, all had to bow their heads to the crescent's power and in the last war the turks tried to beat us into submission. But they should've known better: no one can bully a country that has an auroch bull on it's shield!!
cap2figura1.jpg

"Cry 'Havoc'!, and let slip the dogs of war"!! Or should I say the auroch of war?

Our entire army of 4000 men headed towards Silistria. Poland and Walachiah honored their alliance and joined my war, while Serbia, Bosnia, Marocco and the Jalayrids helped the Ottomans. With 1K of my soldiers besieging Silistria, the other 3K were hunting down the fresh troops that the Ottomans were recruiting in their European provinces.
In May 1413 I reached level 4 in Government Tech, that means our first National Ideea; I choose Military Drill for the +1 Morale.
In august Silistria fell to our troops, Bulgaria, Burgas and Nis were also under siege and there were no more Turkish soldiers in Europe.
figura2l.jpg

Bullfighting. Eastern style.

The war drags on, Poland and Lithuania eventually went out of it with a white peace, as did Castille and Venice. I paid Marocco (and their fleet) 15 talers so they get out of the war and made a white peace with Morea and Jalayrids, so by 1420 it's just me against the Ottomans and their vassals – Bosnia and Serbia. The turks also have their own private party with the Timurids.
figura3x.jpg

Otto Chanel's summer collection. Stripes are the new hot thing this year
I didn't offer peace, I decided to wait, let the Timurids make the first move; which they did, asking the turks to end the vassalization of both Bosnia and Serbia. Then, I stepped in, and promptly vassalled the two kingdoms.
With Serbia and Bosnia out, it was time for peace with the Ottomans. But it seemed that peace was not what they wanted. Not on my terms, anyway. (I had an 83 war score on them and they didn't want to give me provinces I was interested in, provinces that counted for about 60 warpoints; they would've said now even to a 30 points peace offer). So I decided to play dirty (after all, all is fair in love and war): I offered them peace asking for Burgas and Silistria, about 30 warpoints. They refused. Twice. But because of the difference between the warscore and my offer's value, they took a one point stability hit. Also twice. After that, I've just waited. And it didn't take long for them to come to their senses:
cap2figura4.jpg

The Great Turk and his peace offer

I accepted their offer, won the war and the peace. And with it, for new provinces, all of them orthodox; with them Moldavia can now support 16 regiments instead of 4 and a larger fleet.
cap2figura5.jpg

Size matters. Bigger is better. Oh yes: and Hungary annexed Transylvania (this is not good).

So we are no longer that weak kid (we still are green though) we were twenty years ago. Oh, no. We grew up a little. Even have some vassals of our own: Bosnia and Serbia, united in their allegiance to Moldavia. And when two south-slavic countries unite, they will form Yugoslavia, right? Wrong!
cap2figura6.jpg

The Bosnian – Serbian Union of Moldavia

As I've told you, Hungary annexed Transylvania and with it, the core I have in... well, Transylvania (I know, I'm being repetitive here but is not my fault that the country bears the same name as the province). Now, I have to go to war against them soon, or I'll lose my core (this will happen in December 1454) and I don't want that. But now is no time for war. Now I will relax, enjoy peace and improve my realm.
With all those magistrates invested in cultural tradition, I was able employ some greater "Great Men": a level 5 Master of Mint to decrease my inflation (-0,10 inflation) and a level 6 Natural Scientist (+18 talers invested in Production). My treasurer died, so the two mentioned above will be what I'll have to do with for a while.
I tried to vassalize Wallachia, but they refused my first attempt. And there was no time for a second one, because they got DOW and then annexed by Hungary. Idiots!! That will teach them. They could have been my vassals but they "choose" to be just another two provinces of Hungary; which, by the way, now has two provinces with my cores on them. This makes me think that they are really asking for it. But still not the time for war.
In may 1430 I received a "call of arms" from my friends in Poland against Pommerania. The time for war had came, so, I said "yes" and I started collecting war taxes; but this will be a phoney war, since I had no intention of actively being a part of it. My vassal Bosnia though, took this conflict very personally and got very much involved. They even sent troops in the very far north and started a siege in Stettin. Which they conquered. For me. The pommeranians (how do you called the people of Pommerania anyway?) must have got really frightened by the people of the south, for they quickly change their minds after the fall of Stettin: when before they were offering peace asking for money, after, they were very happy to give me Stetin just to call my Bosnian minions home. I accepted, so, out of nothing, I got a new province at the Baltic. We can almost see Santa's home from here. Now this is the kind of war I like!!!
I'll have to hire a few scribes to redraw all Modavia's maps though. Those poor kids in Geography class; they will break their necks looking for Stetin on the new map of Moldavia.
cap2figura7.jpg

The moldavian scribe, father Haralambie Popa at work

cap2figura8.jpg

HP's latest creation - the neck breaking Map of Moldavia, 1432 edition

Last edited:
Really nice work.But Stettin is a hre province i think?good luck with that
and subscribed

It is, and with that you'll get a rise in infamy by +0.25 and most likely a formal request by the Emperor to give it up. If you don't, it becomes "illegal territory", which cuts back on its worth for you. You can just let far-flung provinces go if you don't have a use for them.

Other than that, fantastic job in claiming Ottoman lands :) . Maybe Thrace is next?

Just remove Stettin from the empire (1 magistrate) if it becomes a problem.

Have I commented here? No? Well, in that case, I must say, good work :)

@ all: Thanks. Stetin is indeed part of HRE, but, as generalolaf sad, I can remove it with just one magistrate
@ MrQwerty: I'm not very mutch interested in Byzantium's provinces. As long as they stay in my alliance, is OK. Maybe I'll be able make them my vassals.