• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter III. Alexandru I cel Bun's (part 3) and Alexander II's (part 1) reigns

Hello and welcome to a new episode of Moldavia's quest for glory, riches, and what ever life has to offer.

Last time you were passing by it was 1432 and Moldavia had just incorporated the province of Stetin at the Baltic Sea.
Well, our recent success did not get overlooked, it was in fact very well noticed by our neighbors in north, Hungary, who decided that it was a good time for them to become our friends, so they offered us an alliance, which, of course I rejected.
capiiifigura1.jpg

Our new wannabe friends. It's like they knew what we have in store for them

The others of our neighbors in the north, Poland and Lithuania were engaged in a war against the Golden Horde and they were doing very well.
capiiifigura2.jpg

Lithuania in the process of removing the crazy tatars out of the very (in)sane Europe

But let's just get back to the newest pearl of our crown, Stetin, shall we? This province is sooo faaaar away, it's almost like we have a colony on a distant continent. It does have a sea port, but my bunch of vessels can barely be named a fleet. I mean, they are very useful in blocking the Dardaneles and keep the turks from crossing into Europe when they have no fleet to speak of, but it will take about a century for my one cog to transport enough troops to Stetin to protect the province. However, as a result of a series of fortunate events, I border the poles and they border me, both in Bessarabia and in Stetin. Furthermore, Moldavia + Poland = love, understanding, very best friends and so on; we trust each other so much that we can freely move troops from one country to the other; and this is how I can have access to my own piece of far, far away.
There is though, a small unsettling issue that has been brought to my attention: our spies (they are many, competent and elusive) tell us that the emperor of the romans is getting ready to claim that Stetin is part of his empire.
capiiifigura3.jpg

One of our spy has blended in and is keeping an eye on the roman emperor

Claims on Stetin from the roman emperor!? Now that's ridiculous!!! First, in order to have an emperor of the romans, it should be a Roman Empire filled with a roman, latin speaking people. And there is none of that for a thousand years now.
Second, that old and true Roman Empire that doesn't exist anymore, never reached the Baltic. Even I know that much history!! How is it than, the today's "romans" have a claim on it?
Third, we are romanians but still don't call ourselves "The Roman Empire"! So, who the hack he thinks he is!!? And who is that "emperor of the romans" anyway? Aaaa, is Bavaria!! They are pretty little for such a big claim. Since they are so little, I can do what ever I want, for there will be no "empire strikes back" in this part of the galaxy. Hmm, I should tell them that Stetin is no longer a part of their so called "empire". But we are too friendly towards each other for that. Of course we are!! There claim of being the true romans was such a good joke that we kept laughing for a week. Even the New Year's Eve can't be that entertaining. No wonder that we like them so much!! They are all a bunch of clowns. But I had enough with all their buffooneries. I should send them a nice, fat, juicy insult then. Done. All I need now is a magistrate, wich I already have. Off he goes!! And that was it! So much with Stetin being part of "The Empire"!! And since I'm at it, I'll send a missionary too.

Some time after I incorporated Silistria, I changed my National Focus on it, and enacted settlement policy there. At the end of 1432 the culture in Silistria changed to romanian, so I started the settlement policy in Bulgaria too.
I also started to build some improvements in my new provinces and allied with Byzantium.
In 1435 I saw the Ottomans were at war with Venice again; the venetians sent the turkish newly build fleet the same place where the old one was: on the bottom of the see. That's an opportunity that should not be lost. So, I prepared my troops (I had about 10 k soldiers then) and declare war on them. My allies joined me and those of the turks joined them. It was just Hungary that stayed out of the war, even though I gave them a CB on me by declaring war. Immediately after the DOW was send, I scorched the provinces of Bulgaria, Nis and Burgas, then regrouped my troops in Serbia, and marched them to Nis, which was besieged by the Ottomans. The two armies were about the same size, but theirs had no leader so I won the battle in Bulgaria, then followed and annihilated them in Macedonia.
capiiifigura4.jpg

Setting the trap and killing the game.

After that it was just the usual war against the Ottoman Empire: starting sieges in their European provinces while blocking the straits so they could not bring more troops from Asia minor.
By 1439 I conquered Macedonia, Kozani and Larisa, while my allies, the serbs had conquered Zeta. I didn't conquered Edirne, their capital, though: Portugal was allied with Venice and conquered Edirne before me, destroyed the Turkish troops in Asia Minor and starded a siege in Bursa. Without Edirne in my hands I didn't have enough warscore to make peace; so I invaded Asia Minor. By the time I crossed the Bosphorus, my allies, the Byzantines were already there and were besieging Anatolia and Bythinia. I sent my troops to Yazgod and passed the national decision of "Liberum Veto", which instantly gave me 15 new regiments. Seeing their desperate situation, the turks were ready to accept peace, giving me Macedonia and Kozani and a small amount of money.
While I was busy acquiring some new land in the Balkans, the rest of the european countries were also busy doing what ever suited them. The hungarians, for instance, were busy getting their behind kicked by Bohemia and its allies.
capiiifigura5.jpg

Bohemia acting towards making my job easier and the result of their action

I decided that it will be a good idea to make Croatia my vassal. So, I offered them a royal marriage – they accepted, I offered them an alliance – they accepted, I offered them gifts to further improve our relations – they accepted, finally, I offered them to become my vassals – they did NOT accepted. And they said "No" for three more times, so I gave it up. What can I say, this south-slavic people are really stubborn and proud.
In 1442, our counterfeiters people working in the Chancellery "discovered" some documents, that show very clear that some provinces belonging to our neighbors, are, in fact, a part of our inalienable patrimony: Ruthenia is part of Poland, so I'll probably give it up; Brandenburg, belonging to Bohemia, is also bordering Stetin so I want it; and there is the capital of the Ottoman Empire, Edirne, but with the turks having provinces in Asia Minor, provinces that I'm not very interested in, I'm not sure I'll ever take it.
I continued with my province's improvement program (constables, workshops, armory and upgrading my ports) and expanded my army up to 16 regiments (5 cavalry and 11 infantry).
In 1445 Byzantyum started a war against the Ottoman Empire and its allies, and asked for my helped. I entered the war and quickly conquered Larisa, but that was it. The rest of the European provinces were already under siege by Serbia (Zeta) and Byzantium (Edirne) so I needed to cross the straits for more warpoints. But at the end of the year, in December, after 41 years as Voievod of Moldavia, Alexandru cel Bun died and his inept son (I hope you do remember my 3-3-3 heir) came to the throne.
capiiifigura6.jpg

How is it that plague, hunting accidents, assassination attempts and all the other hazards of life, always spare the idiots?

As you can see, the heir is not that bad though. And you can also observe my two very, very, very great men. This two advisors make me think that I'll survive even with such an incompetent ruler.
Back to my war with the turks now. I made a military leader out of my monarch, secretly hoping that I'll get rid of him sooner. He is not the new Alexander (well, he is an Alexander, but not the "Great" one), but he is not very bad either (2 shock, 2 fire, 1 maneuver). I put him in charge of my army and sent him in Asia Minor to conquer more provinces. All I was able to do though, was to defeat the fresh regiments that the ottomans were recruiting. My 16 regiments dropped to just 12k men from the constant fighting and the atrition, my manpower was gone and my bulgarian and greek provinces started revolting. So I decided to get out of the war without adding more land to my realm.
capiiifigura7.jpg

Money, removing some of their cores and a little prestige, that's all. Our diplomatic corps are getting lazy

Last edited:
"Alexander the Stupid"... No, that doesn't sound good at all... Hopefully, you can kill him off soon :) . You'll need every chance you'll get to be a match against Hungary. Good luck.

@vasziljevics: I realy hope that's not realy true. At least not in my case
@MrQwerty: he's such a bad ruler that even the effort of find him a nickname is too much. Hungary though won't be a problem anymore. Is true, they have an army twice as big as mine, but I have Poland to back me up. And Poland, being the leader of a personal union with Lithuania, will bring them in the war too. Hungary is allied only with Burgundy (which is very strong, but is also too far to help them) and some Italian states.

CHAPTER IV. Alexander II's (part 2) And Stefanita I's reigns

Since the beginning of this game, I've been busy expanding south. The last war wasn't that successful, as I didn't manage to acquire more land; my regiments were only half of their normal size, my manpower was almost depleted, so I had to accept peace for just a few talers.
After this, I was determined not to get in any more wars for a few years. However, my neighbor in the north and west – Hungary – thought otherwise and offered me an opportunity that was to tempting to turn down: they were fighting Croatia, so they had no troops on the border. Furthermore, they were allied with countries that were to far for effectively helping the Hungarians: Cologne, Milan and Burgundy. Me, on the other hand, had Poland to back me up, and they will also bring Lithuania on my side.
So, less then a year since the last war, with my army in full strength but with my manpower at about half, I declared war on Hungary.
capivfigura1.jpg

A new war for some more land (hopefully)

Their allies joined the war as did mine. Poland and Lithuania instantly invaded, but I was to much of a chicken for that (that two-time-my-size Hungarian army was pretty scary). Instead, I was waiting for them in Bulgaria, hoping that they either will go for the poles and Lithuanians or will invade me so that I can reduce their numbers with attrition. But none of those happened. Almost two years had past, and no Hungarian troops to be seen. With Carpathia and Partium controlled by Poland and Transylvania in Lithuanian hands, it was time for me to take a more active part in the action: I invaded both Walachia and Oltenia; they fell after 15 month, then I headed towards Banat. When the siege of Banat was almost over, Hungary annexed Croatia, which meant that they had their hands free and were ready to take care of me. As I had enough war score I offered peace:
capivfigura2.jpg

Our two new provinces and a new (old) country on the map: the to be or not to be – Croatia

But Hungary was not the alliance leader so peace with Hungary didn't necessary meant peace with her alliance. I was still at war with an alliance lead by Burgundy. Nevertheless, with no contact between the two opposing sides, there were no battles, so, a few months later, a white peace was signed with the leader of the alliance, Burgundy.
The war against Hungary allowed me to take only one of the two of their provinces that had my core in it. That leaved the recovery of Transylvania for a later date in the future. It proved to be in the near future. The truce between us had barely ended and I found myself in another war against Hungary; they were the leaders of an alliance that included some German minors, one of them being Brandenburg, which were very close to my northern province of Stetin, so they also became a target of my expansionist policies. This time I was bolder and felt more confident, so I instantly invaded Transylvania in Banat, while my allies were already besieging Szolnok, Partium and Carpathia. I also sent 7 k troops to siege the one province that Brandenburg had – Potsdam. It was now when Austria thought that it wood be a good time for them to expand their realm, so they attacked my ally, Croatia. Croatia asked for my help and, as the alliance's leader, I entered another war. With no troops to commit to the newly opened front, Croatia was left alone for a while, hoping that they will manage to resist. But they didn't. Austria quickly overwhelmed them and occupied almost all their provinces and got Slavonia and some money in the peace deal.
The war against Hungary on the other hand went smoothly. All of the Hungarian provinces that were besieged by me and my allies fell and so did Potsdam. And I offered peace. First to Brandenburg, then to Hungary.
capivfigura3.jpg

The Valiant Little Taylor sais "Two in one blow". And on to Austria.

Before moving on to Austria though, I will make a short digression and tell you a few things about Transylvania. One other name for the province is Siebenbürgen, which means "seven fortress". It comes from the seven fortified cities that saxon colonist build when they came in Transylvania. (See how educational this AAR is? A little history, a bit of " deutsche sprache"…). The german settlers is not the only great stuff this province has to offer. It also has gold as it's primary resource, so now we are one of the most important gold producer in Europe. Hmm, those Saxons must be gold miners or something.
capivfigura4.jpg

"Heigh – Ho, Heigh – Ho…" The leaders of the miners guilds from the seven saxon cities

But enough with this, we have a war on our hands. Austria was not yet the Big White Blob that usually becomes later in the game. They've already lost Ostmarch to Hungary and were down to only three provinces before they got Slavonia from the peace deal with Croatia. So, beating them was not much of a challenge. I did got a lot of help though, from my vassal, Serbia, who conquered Slavonia while I was busy killing the Austrian armies. When I was done with it, I assaulted Viena and the Austrians were willing for peace. I asked them to become orthodox and give me Slavonia, which I gave back to Croatia. And so, a year and a half after my peace with Hugary, my Austrian war was also over. The war was not the only thing that was over. My incompetent monarch decided that was time for him to make his final journey and he passed away. And not a moment to soon. The new monarch is not a genius, but with such a idiot predecessor, he comes as a blessing.
capivfigura5.jpg

The Monarch, the Heir and the Great Men

You do now what they say about trouble, don't you? That it never comes alone. Well, it seems that good news is also coming in pairs. It seems that the Saxons in Transylvania were so pleased with the new rulers of the province that they made us a gift. How thoughtful!!

capivfigura6.jpg

The pleased saxons are pleasing me.

After this, nothing worth mentioning happened. A few upgrades in my provinces, Wallachia becoming orthodox, a settlement policy and a missionary for Transylvania, the death of my monarch in September 1469, this are the only few things that kept me busy. Oh, and somehow, I "managed" to loose my alliance with Poland. I have no idea when and why this happened; they had probably called me in one of their wars without me noticing. In fact, I only noticed this when disaster struck.
capivfigura7.jpg

OUCH!!!

But about this and many others, in my future update. Near future that is.

Last edited:
Ooo... Bohemia will be quite the challenge! Still, this is a wonderful AAR, and I look forward to seeing more!

I'm very glad to see this AAR come back, with cartoons, powerful Eastern neighbors, empires, and all! Now let's see if you can protect your Baltic possessions in the war with Bohemia ;) .

For those of you who are still here and are anxiously expecting a new, very late, update, here it is.

CHAPTER V. Alexander III and Constantin I

So, DOW by Bohemia….
That really helped sinking my enthusiasm like HMS Titanic did. And I won't say more about it. I'll give you a picture instead, because a picture is worth a thousand words and all.

capvfigura1.jpg

The author is showing his bravery

After the initial panic, I hit the pause button, took a deep breath and assessed the situation. At a first glance it didn't look pretty. So I decided to take a second one. And the looks of it started to improve.
The first reason for that – there was no Bohemian-Moldavian border, except in Stettin. This was the only province that they could reach and conquer (they actually did that in less than 2 month after the war started). But that was it. And with the Bohemian AI being such a "genius" in convincing other countries to allow it military access, the most important part of my domain would remain untouched.
Secondly, they had a large number of small, (two or three provinces small), allies that, as I did, lacked the common border with Bohemia and couldn't get any help from them. Tirol, Savoy, Trier and Lorraine were some of these allies.
Me, on the other hand, (and this is the third and last reason), managed to get that access stuff from Austria and some other german minors. So, in about fife years, I occupied the two provinces of Lorraine (Lothringen and Metz), the two provinces of Savoy (Savoie and Piedmont), those of Trier (Trier and Koblenz) and those of Tirol (also two); curios enough the country of Tirol didn't owned the province of Tirol, their two provinces being Salzburg and Lienz. On the other hand, all that Bohemia took from me was Stettin. That gave me enough war score to make Tirol an orthodox and a vassal and, finally, getting a white peace from Bohemia. Not bad for a war that came like a very unpleasant surprise. All it took from me was to dare. As the romans use to say it " Fortuna audaces iuvat " = "Fortune favors the bold" .

capvfigura2.jpg

Yes, I know! I conveniently forgot about my earlier panic attack

Almost immediately after this war ended another one started: Austria made the mistake of their life and declared war. They were allied with some german minors in the north, so insignificant that they are not worth mentioning. Seriously, stupidity should hurt! I mean, I know I kicked their behind last time, and they want revenge, but common, let’s be reasonable, don’t start a war that you are condemned to lose from the start. It’s like 1806 again, when Prussia declared war on France. And I’m Napoleon in this war.
The war was short and very one sided. Marching my armies from my provinces to theirs took longer than battling and destroying their armies and conquering their provinces. My requirements for peace were very modest compared with the spanking I gave them. And I didn’t even called my allies for it.:ninja:

capvfigura3.jpg

Moldavia whistled and Austria no longer existed!

Then came o long period of relative peace. No major wars, just a few small ones started by my allies and fought only by them, improvements in my provinces, Transylvania becoming orthodox and Romanian, a few revolts, just to keep my armies busy and worthy of their pay. In 1480 Bosnia accepted annexation. I tried this scheme on Serbia first, but they said no, so I used my charms on Bosnia instead.

capvfigura4.jpg

I made them an offer they couldn’t refuse!

Some time later (by “some” I mean almost a decade) my monarch died. I put this decade on fast-forward because nothing really happened. There were some wars in some distant lands, but that was it.

capvfigura5.jpg

The new leader, the heir and one of those wars I didn’t care about. I went for a white peace here.

Constantin isn’t much of a military man, but he surely knows that the most important condition for a long reign is keeping the army happy.

capvfigura6.jpg

Those 150 talers would have been better spent on something else, but de 20 % manpower and the 0,5 tradition were too temptin

While I was busy sleeping in my shoes (for the last decade) and playing on warp speed, elsewhere, without me noticing, the once mighty Ottoman Empire was collapsing. All its Asia Minor provinces were lost, either being conquered by others or by becoming new independent states.

capvfigura7.jpg

Asia Minor. A mosaic of colours and countries.

This left the ottomans with only one province, - Edirne, their capital. A few decades ago, I got a core in it by random event, but I didn’t pay much attention to it since back then the turks were pretty big with all those provinces in Asia Minor. But this was no longer the case. So I went to war for Edirne. A short, swift and decisive war that brought the end of the Turkish empire in Europe.

And then, suddenly, my monarch died after an only ten years reign. Not a big loss though.

capvfigura8.jpg

The new monarch and he’s heir. And the newly acquired province of Edirne.

With this I finish this update. Now a have to start playing again.
But first I will make a few screenshots of the world.

Cool. I hope that there isn't anyone too powerful in your neighborhood. :/

There still is Poland and Lthuania at my borders, but they are my allies.
And, of course, there is the ever frightening and very hostile Bohemia. But there is Poland betwen me and them.

And some maps of the world as we, moldavians konw it.

EUROPE

europar.jpg

AFRICA
africadn.jpg

and ASIA, or at least what I can see of it

asiay.jpg

I also know the Indian ocean, the waters around Filipine and Indonezia and the chinese coat line, but only the ocean, no land.

On the first page of this thread, I made a content post so I cand put there the links to my AAR's chapters. But it doesn't work. The link redirects me to the top of the page and not to the respective chapter. What is it that I'm doing wrong?
Thanks

On the first page of this thread, I made a content post so I cand put there the links to my AAR's chapters. But it doesn't work. The link redirects me to the top of the page and not to the respective chapter. What is it that I'm doing wrong?
Thanks

you need a link structure like this links to post 33

now of course you can't see how so:

this links to post 33[/url}

if you replace the last } with a ] you have the working structure.

you get the link by right clicking on the post number you want to link to

CHAPTER VI. Ioan I (part I)

So, a new monarch on the throne to lead the Moldavia to greatness. With the new voievod came a technological breakthrough: level 9 in Government and our second national idea; my choice – Quest for the new world. My dreams of greatness include a colonial empire and with all that Terra Incognita I need some explorers and conquistadores to achieve this. I hired one of each, put my explorer in charge of my fleet, which now has fife mighty carracks and 2 cogs (don't laugh, England started from scratch also and, eventually, they ruled the seas), and sent them all in a suicidal mission down south, along the coasts of Africa, to discovers new lands or to perish all on the bottom of the sea. I did had the common sense to ask the castilians for military access though and their port in the Canarians was an excellent starting point for my expeditions.
It didn't took long for my valiant sailors to find new lands on the coast of Africa: some uncolonized territories and also provinces belonging to the blue Kanem Bornu.

Since the grey, uncontrolled territories were to far away from my ports, there was no chance I could colonize any of them in the near future; but I really want some colonies, so I can play with the big boys. And the only solution for me getting my hands on those much desired colonies was war with Kanem Bornu. But I was not quite ready for this war yet. I needed a few more cogs to take my troops from home to Africa. So I built another four of them and then transported one of my 16 k army to the Canarians and finally declared war. Let the Scramble for Africa begin !!
The war proved far harder than I expected. The technological gap between me and Kanem Bornu was not so decisive as I would've liked and they kept sending troops against me from the white and unknown east. I was lucky enough that the Castilian also declared war on them only a few weeks after I did. Even so, it took me almost three years to conquer Gabu, Wolof and Futa Jallon, while the Castilian conquered Cayor. I had a conquistador (which was also a bit of a general) in charge of my troops so I could explore provinces farther east but it took more then two month to march to an unknown territory. The last battle of the war was fought in Bambuk and I lost. My troops had no morale, were retreating towards Wolof with the African armies in pursuit and they were to reach there before the end of the month. That would've meant the annihilation of my army. And I couldn't afforded that. So I asked for peace, a peace that gave me the provinces of Gabu and Wolof. I wanted more from this war, but what I got was not so bad after all: Gabu has a small center of trade and with Wolof also in my hands, I blocked the access of any other European power to Kanem Bornu provinces. They still held Cayor on the coast, but the rest of their territory is out of reach for anyone else but me.
While I was "liberating" Gabu and Wolof, my fleet continued it's exploration of the African cost line and with good results. Also, Edirne converted to orthodox.

capvifigura2.jpg

Africa, A.D. 1507, as we see it

I enjoyed only one year of peace. In march 1507 Bavaria attacked Croatia, which I guaranteed. So I found myself in a war, alongside Poland, Croatia and my vassals against Bavaria (a bit late but the empire did strike back after all), Milan (the leader of their alliance), some german minors and, strangely and dangerously in the same time, Lithuania. I don't have explain to you why a war against the Lithuanian is dangerous, but why is it strange, you may ask? Bear in mind, Lithuania is also the minor partner of a personal union and allied with Poland. Being so, how is possible for two countries to be at war, but also to be allies in the same time? How is it possible for two members of a personal union to be at war against each other? How is it possible for a minor partner of a personal union, to have a foreign policy of its own in the first place? I mean, is this even legal? Someone should call the police.
This war was a real challenge. The Lithuanians lost no time and send there huge armies (about 80 k in total) against Poland which had only about 30 k troops to throw against them. The Bavarians, who by then had reached level 15 in land technology (I, Poland and Lithuania were all at level 8), was all over Croatia, while I had only a 16 thousand army in Europe and another one of the same side in Africa, and only 6 cogs to transport my African troops home.
I started to recruit 10 k ahab infantry in those of my provinces that still had ottoman cores in them, but this was a lengthy process since my war exhaustion was already over 4. It took about eighty days for one regiment to be trained and almost 10 months for the entire army. Meanwhile, I left an army of only 6 K to keep my African provinces quiet and transported the rest back in Europe. By the time I managed to form 2 armies of 18 k each, Lithuania conquered three polish provinces and Bavaria had every Croatian province conquered or under siege. They also sent an 12 k army my way. I took me six month, both of my armies, my entire manpower and six battles (of which I lost two) to annihilate them. I had a more then decent general (4-5-3) compared to the military school student they had in charge, but the difference in land tech was too much. Luckily, Croatia accepted peace with Milan (the leader of their alliance) for some money and treaties annulment and so they blocked the Bavarians way towards Moldavia. And not a moment too soon. My troops were now free to march towards Lithuania but they never get there; Poland accepted peace paying 104 talers to the Lithuanians. Milan soon followed and sent me a peace offer which I accepted.

capvifigura3.jpg

And I was very happy with it too!

I wasn't the only one busy fighting. Bohemia was on an conquering spree. They annexed some german minors and, what was more disturbing, were eating the Hungarian pie piece by piece, so that now, they are my neighbors. And with a level 15 land tech army which matches my numbers, they are some really frightening neighbors!
Personally, I believe that Hungary is seriously underpowered in EU III. In every game I've played they were conquered by either Golden Horde, Bohemia and Austria. With their eastern tech group and with two overpowered neighbors like Golden Horde and Bohemia at their borders, they really don't stand a chance.

capvifigura4.jpg

The Great Brown Bear. Pretty grisly, don't you think?

Some years of peace would've been nice after almost a decade of warfare, but my allies thought otherwise, so, in less than four month, I got 2 "parties" to attend to. First, in January 1511, it was Byzantium that declared war on some muslim countries, Kanem Bornu included. Then, in April the same year Poland started a war against Denmark, which owned almost all of the former russian states. And both of them decided that it would be a real hit only if I am present. What can I say, I'm a popular guy.

capvifigura5.jpg

My bellicose allies and their invitations

The first war was uneventful, just a few battles in my African possessions so I've got out of it after a year. The second however, promised to be a long-term commitment. There was a nice and surprising development out of it though: I found myself a sponsor for this war – Bavaria. It's funny how things go: less then 2 years ago we were at war and now they are sending me gifts. They must have a really short memory.

capvifigura6.jpg

Hilarious, isn't it?

And when I thought it can get any busier, came another one. This time from Transylvania, who was attacked by Bohemia. But this one I had to pass. I had high war exhaustion already, my manpower was to low and the tech difference between me and them was too much.

capvifigura7.jpg

Sorry Transylvania, but I'm already booked.

That will be all for now. This AAR wil take a short break. A week from now I'll be on vacation for three weeks and there is no internet were I'm going.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
CHAPTER VII. Ioan I (part II)

Hello people!! Long time no see. Sorry for that but I was busy:blush:

At the end of my previous post I was getting invitations to war from my allies. The last one (which I refused) was from Transylvania. Did I say "the last one"? Oh, silly me! It was not the last one. Poland dragged me into another war. This time though it was not their fault. Bohemia was the one that started all the fuss. It was all about some obscure claims they had on two polish provinces. And with Poland already caught in another war, they thought it was the right moment to declare war on them. Poland, of course, turned to me for help.
I was tempted to pass, but eventually I said "yes, I do". Still, it took me almost two month before I agreed. It was October 1512. By this time, Bohemia had already conquered three polish provinces. By February 1513 Poland was begging for peace. And they got it.

capviifigura1.jpg
Blitzkrieg!!​

The good thing was that Poland was the leader of the alliance, so when they accepted the above peace offer, my war against Bohemia was also over.
After that I had a few years of peace. I took advantage of it and tried again to diploannex Serbia and connect my Bosnian provinces with the rest of my realm. They accepted my annexation proposal in the second try. I further upgraded army buildings in three of my provinces and sent my explorer into the unknown. I would have liked to do more, but the peace was soon to be over: Byzantium declared war on its Muslim enemies and I joined in.
One good thing about this war was that I would be merely a spectator of it. I had no intention to send my troops across the Bosphorus, I just moved one army south, so it can defend my Greek provinces against possible but improbable Moroccan landings.
The other good thing about it was my shifting my attention towards Asia Minor. And, boy, was I in for a surprise:

capviifigura2.jpg

The revived, all asian, Ottoman Empire

They made a huge mistake though: they joined the war against Byzantium and me. But they were merely a shadow of the former Turkish empire. Byzantium gave them no chance and quickly overwhelmed them: in less then a year all their armies were gone and their provinces where under siege or in Byzantium hands. Eventually, Byzantium got Sivas and Erserum in the peace deal.
With the greeks being in control this southern war was just an entertainment for me. A more serious war started north: the ever belligerent and greedy Bohemia started another war, this time against Hungary which I guarantied. And here I was in war again. Bohemia was allied with Croatia, Transylvania, the Teutons and a few german states while Poland entered the war on my side. Kanem Bornu also wanted a piece of the action, so they DOW me but, after a few skirmishes, I paid my way out of it with 25 tallers.
Fortunately for me, Bohemia ignored my provinces and send her armies against Poland an Hungary. In Poland, the bohemian and polish armies play a cat and mouse game, with Bohemia taking control of a province only to lose it back to Poland once they moved and siege another one. Hungary on the other hand fell in half a year and went out of the war giving Ostmarch, some cores and money to Bohemia (luckily for Hungary they had two provinces out of Bohemia's reach – Krain and Gorz).
What Bohemia did to Hungary, I was doing to Croatia. Three month after Hungary went out of the war so did Croatia: breaking their treaties with Bohemia, conversion to Orthodoxy and money was all I asked from the. With Croatia out of the way I sent my two armies (16 K each) in Transylvania to brake the siege that the bohemians were laying there. Due to attrition (I looted the province before going against Croatia) their former 25 k army had only 7 k soldier left. Still, I needed both my armies to annihilate them. But with this army gone, all the south of Bohemia was there for me to grab. Which I did. In two years, while the two bohemian armies were playing around with there polish counterparts in Poland, I was in control of all those provinces that Bohemia took form Hungary and also of Moravia. But then came the battle of Ratibor where an bohemian army of 12k defeated both my two armies combined. So I offered peace asking for Somogy and 75 tallers.
A couple of other events happened while at war. First, my settlement policy in Burgas was successful and the cultured here turned Romanian. The second one was not that pleasant: a reformation missionary reached Oltenia and the fools believed his heresies and become reformed.

capviifigura3.jpg

This must be a first: an orthodox province turned reformed

The peace that follow was mostly uneventful. Except an "Serfs Upset" event, which I used to move one step towards Free Subjects and the usual province upgrading, nothing much happened. Until my monarch died and his not-so-bright heir kicked in. Fortunately his son looks really promising

capviifigura4.jpg

The One that admires the West

This new heir is a really good news. All I need now is for him to survive and a short reign of his father and I'll be able to westernize. But about this and others in my next update.

Last edited: