+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Utility] EU3Chooser - Random Country/Date Utility

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSemper Fi500k club

[Utility] EU3Chooser - Random Country/Date Utility

Background

One of the hardest aspects of any Paradox game for me has been deciding what date to start a new game, and whom to play. I created one of these utilities for CK2, and (after having played a total of 4 hours of EU3) decided to create one for EU3 as well.

What It Does

After loading up EU3Chooser (and telling it where your game is installed), you select a date to load into the utility. You can manually enter a date, choose one of the game's standard bookmarked dates, or randomly generate a date.

Once your date is entered, EU3Chooser will load up the relevant historical data, and create a database of playable countries available at that time. Push the "Pick a Country" button, and there you go. EU3Chooser will pick an appropriate country and display it to you.

You can also generate a in-game bookmark once you've selected a country, that will let you go directly to the date and country you've chosen.

Installation

You will need the .NET runtime for this utility. You can get it here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa569263

Past that, just put the attached executable wherever you want, and run it.

Disclaimer and Compatibility

This is an initial version I put together in a matter of hours, using code I developed for the CK2 version. So far, it seems to work fine, but I anticipate issues. That said, the only damage this thing should not damage your game install.

I haven't tested this with any mods, but it should work with them as far as I know (assuming your mod data is in the same place as the "standard" EU3 data when you run this utility).

Conclusion

Hope you enjoy it. I intend to make future improvements if there is sufficient community enthusiasm (particularly filters and more info about the selected country). More than anything, I just wanted something like this for my own use, and didn't see a similar utility out there already.

Version History

=====
    - Attempt to fix parsing error some users are experiencing.
    - More informative error message.

=====
    - Initial
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MTXperience; 18-04-2012 at 00:44.

Deus VultDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2500k club

Blog Entries
    Good job sir, good job!

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    War of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

I guess I'll be using this for my next game. Most excellent work
    Reasons Why You Should Play Any Character in CK2
    Current playthrough(s): n/a, undecided
    generalolaf: 5/3/1, age: 17. No Legal Heir. Religion in province: Protestant. 100 Legitimacy, 30 Prestige, 0 Power Projection.
    Government: Constitutional Monarchy. Diplomatic Ideas (3), Religious Ideas (2), Administrative Ideas (0). 1 free advisor slot (Skill 1 Master of Mint, Skill 3 Theologian). Diplomatic Relations: 5/7 (Alliance; Guaranteed)

""Somehow the Neapolitans landed in Ireland -" That's very poor strategy on their side. Everybody know that pizza goes better with lager beer." - Victor Cortez

For some reason it's not working for me. I have the game through steam, and pointed the utility to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\europa universalis iii - complete. When I go to choose date, pick a date, then click OK, I get an error saying "Error loading EU3 data."

Any idea why this would happen? Your CK2Chooser utility works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by thewalrii View Post
    For some reason it's not working for me. I have the game through steam, and pointed the utility to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\europa universalis iii - complete. When I go to choose date, pick a date, then click OK, I get an error saying "Error loading EU3 data."

Any idea why this would happen? Your CK2Chooser utility works fine for me.
    I also have this error and mine isn't even from steam.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

ditto
    There once was a man from Nantucket, His .....

To any of you experiencing the issue with loading the data, can you tell me what date(s) you are trying, and I'll troubleshoot.

I've tried all of the preset dates, and they all give the same error.

I've uploaded an updated version, to hopefully help combat some of the issues you all are experiencing.

The introduction of CK2 1.05 today brought an error in the parsing engine to my attention. Since CK2Chooser and EU3Chooser use the same parsing engine, I'm hopeful this change will resolve people's issues.

I also added a little more info to the "Error loading EU3 data" message, that specifies precisely what data the program is having trouble loading. If anyone still experiences issues with this build, please let me know; and let me know what aspect of the data the app seems to be having issues with.

I developed and tested this using a "vanilla" version of the 5.2 beta data. I'm guessing the issues others are having are due to "quirks" in the data from mods or previous versions of the game. Again though, hopefully this latest version will fix these (or at least make them easier for me to identify).

Upgrading to the 5.2 beta fixed my issue. Using 5.1, it had an error with translations. I'm not able to get the utility to pick up any info from mods, though. The mod data lives in the "mod" folder, separate from the rest of the eu3 data. Is that why? Is it something that can be added?

thanks for the good work

Thanks for the feedback! Adding support for pulling data from the mods folder is definitely something I intend to add in the next month or two.

In the next few days though, I'll snag a copy of 5.1, and see if I can't sort the issue there with reading the localization data.

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    95 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Hearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Any idea if this utility works with mods ?
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I am not able to make this work I am getting the error loading translations error. Is there any way to fix this problem?

+ Reply to Thread