• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tokie

Captain
48 Badges
Feb 29, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
They keep petitioning this and now I got 3 extra stronghold within 5 years after they appeared. The problem is what benefits do I get for it? When I summon them, they appeared back in my capital anyways so thats not really helpful. :(

They keep petitioning this and now I got 3 extra stronghold within 5 years after they appeared. The problem is what benefits do I get for it? When I summon them, they appeared back in my capital anyways so thats not really helpful. :(

Vassalize them and hire for 19 piety and no maintenance.

I hope they build all their strongholds in the holy land. If you grant them a county back home and a duke title (name only), you can get a really good vassal. Futhermore, since he has a few holdings in the holy land, your county back home will get a good demesne bonus for tech. Plus, the knight's holding does not take up extra space, it's added onto the max holding.

by cheating.

its quite hard, need to be good friends, dejure ruler and same culture for it to succeed. because even if they are just a baron, the grandmaster title gives the small difference in rank modifier regardless.

by cheating.

its quite hard, need to be good friends, dejure ruler and same culture for it to succeed. because even if they are just a baron, the grandmaster title gives the small difference in rank modifier regardless.

Not quite, but you need them to have land, then you need to invite a claimant, give HIM land, and then press his claim. Or be the king of France. I remember that helping a lot.

Last edited:
If you have the ducal title for the counties where they have baronies, you can conquer the baronies back, but this doesn't make them your vassals of course. On the other hand, it's an easy way to get four or more baronies to use.

I dont quite see how you can force vassalize them. Their primary title is grandmaster. Everythng else is additional, and they will just lose whatever is taken with a claim. Unless there are claiments for the grandmaster title?

A Grandmaster is a Duke.

IF an Order has LAND they will generate claimants, who can then be invited.

Give land to the invited claimant and press his claim on the order.

You have now vassalised a Holy Order.

Optional bonus victory:

Marry the claimant to a daughter of your king matrilinearly, their son will inherit the claim.

Elect him as heir to the kingdom.

Once king, press the claim.

You now OWN a Holy Order. (cost is 0 to hire and 0 in upkeep, too gamey for me, but some might find it amusing.)

A Grandmaster is a Duke.

Optional bonus victory:

Marry the claimant to a daughter of your king matrilinearly, their son will inherit the claim.

You now OWN a Holy Order. (cost is 0 to hire and 0 in upkeep, too gamey for me, but some might find it amusing.)

On a similar note, do titular duchies count towards your duchy limit? Besides the holy orders and mercenary bands, there's a few other ones as well (duke of khazars for example) and I'm just wondering if they count towards the duchy limit.

A Grandmaster is a Duke.

Optional bonus victory:

Can other peeps still use them? If not, whats to stop me to get them out all day? :B

On a similar note, do titular duchies count towards your duchy limit? Besides the holy orders and mercenary bands, there's a few other ones as well (duke of khazars for example) and I'm just wondering if they count towards the duchy limit.

They do, yes :)

Can other peeps still use them? If not, whats to stop me to get them out all day? :B

No one else can hire them. THe message you get is "The Knights Templar are currently in fief to Somewhere". And there's nothing to stop you from using them at all times. Not even being prevented from declaring war.

No one else can hire them. THe message you get is "The Knights Templar are currently in fief to Somewhere". And there's nothing to stop you from using them at all times. Not even being prevented from declaring war.

Hmm I guess as a vassal, the only downside is they will start hating you when raising 'long levies' ?