• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In my current HRE game, I have tried to balance the most powerful Kings (=Electors, I guess) in the realm against each other by giving them roughly equal power. That does however mean that I have to prevent either of them to unify two or more titles under the same banner. Basically, the law is simple: start a war to usurp another Elector and you will find yourself with a knife in your back. No, I don't care how legit your claim is.

Also I beheaded the King of Germany once. And his son. And assassinated his wife, just to be sure. Can't have people messing with my beautiful claim to Denmark.

One of my revolting vassals gave birth in prison, I had a urge to torture the child while it was a few months old (the event) and so I did, the child was maimed and died in prision at a age of 2 years.

Also as the same ruler, I saw my young daugther (11 years old or something) coming out from the prision with a bloody knife... ofcourse i teached her a few trick to "really bring the pain out".

One of my revolting vassals gave birth in prison, I had a urge to torture the child while it was a few months old (the event) and so I did, the child was maimed and died in prision at a age of 2 years.

Also as the same ruler, I saw my young daugther (11 years old or something) coming out from the prision with a bloody knife... ofcourse i teached her a few trick to "really bring the pain out".

:eek:hmy: you cant torture children!

I once Assassinated the two sons that the Queen of France had with her Husband, the King of Scotland. Since France in my game was Angatic-Cognatic, and Scotland was Angatic, I prevented a Union of the two countries. The daughter would inherit France, and the King's Brother would inherit Scotland.

I was Playing as Denmark, and I did it so that England wouldn't get harmed, seeing I have plans to Institute Danelaw on England. >:]

Pretty much my latest Ireland game. I had a firstborn son quite early, and he turned out ok in stats. Nothing insane, but very respectable, very capable ruler. About 10 years later I had another son, who inherited my genius trait. Still though, I figured, the first guy was still good enough to not need any switching. Gave him duchy etc set up as heir apparent. All is good. He quickly has an heir, who will inherit the duchy of Lancaster. Plans looking good. Sure, technically my other heir is better, but I hadnt found as great a wife for him, just getting an already controlled duchy under my dynasty rule (Cos I wanna have every leader in the world be of my dynasty XD).

Unfortunately, about 2 years later the heir dies. And so now my heir is the 2 year old duke of munster. I still waited though. Maybe if I took him under my wing with my younger son, he might turn out ok.

5 years later, my genius son comes of age. Midas Touched, Genius who was Humble, Patient Dilegant, Gregarious and Ambitious. 20+ on Dip/Stewardship/Learning (Stewardship I think was nearly 30). And my ruler becomes infirm. Needless to say, I wasted no time in ordering my wife to assasinate her grandson and by the turn of the year the 17 year old Magnus was on the throne.

And 4 years later became the Magnamious. Not sure how that triggered, but it made me LOL a lot.

Oh, and of course, he inherited the duchy of Lancaster that I inherited apon the ruthless murder of my grandson.

Castille. Killed my two brothers first time but was discovered. Then invaded Leon cos they had a little boy there. waited till he was 16 then chopped his head off after he revolted. same with my sister. Then assassinated the queen of Navarre & Aragon and murdered her... wish i could have had an affair with her pop a legitimised bastard on the throne. I then captured the King of Beja or something and his son... instead of getting peace i just chopped both their heads off. Killed the HRE when he was going to inherit Barcelona (discovered again (no idea why and how). But it then passed to the Prince of France (no idea why again) Who was also looking likely to become HRE. Realising this could become troublesome My ruler died of stress. So his son decides to continue and kills the next 3 heirs of france (found out when i did the second one again). Then killed my brother or something and his son cos he married the something of Barcalona and was going to inherit it. I then married my heir to her 16 she was 32 And married to the HRE heir then the French Prince and then my brother XD (by far the cruellest thing I had done thus far). in the space of two generations I have managed to unite all of Northern Spain...

Had my own son executed for heresy is pretty bad, but so is executing a series of toddlers...

Only on my first play through, so haven't gotten to the depths of depravity yet. I did kill my own brother to reclaim the throne of Ireland, however. That ruler went on to be called "The Noble".

OH, and right now I'm trying to kill my son's wife. You see, my heir only had one child, a daughter, before I found his wife was scheming to kill me. I tried to arrest her, but she fled the country. Now my heir only has a daughter to succeed him, and a wife that he can't have more children with. (Also, turns out she's homosexual, so I guess I'm lucky they had a daughter!) So Now I'm trying to kill this wife so he can remarry and have more kids.

I got into a stabbing match with the King of Scotland and his heirs. I tried to kill him, he tried to kill me, I tried to kill him, he killed me, I killed him as my heir, he killed me, I killed him as my next heir, he failed to kill me and then I stopped lest complete chaos and disorder get going.

Same as most people, killing children to secure successions. Sometimes also to clean up my own mistakes where I accidentally granted someone a fief who had an heir of a different realm.

Boy, where do I start. I killed three husbands of a countess I wanted for my heir, and I killed her too when she refused to marry him. I usurped her lands, and the lands of her sisters. I forgot to add, this was a game where I was a count under the Duke of Swabia (I was the historical Frederick von Hohenstaufen), a duchy which I usurped, and under my heir, I killed the only son of a very popular Emperor to be elected the Emperor. (it worked)

I, as the Count of Reggio, conquered Sicily, sucked up to the Duke of Apulia as he protected me from Muslim invaders, and after he died with his realm divided between his two sons, I brought down his son (still a child).

In a game where I played a Saxon duke under William the Conqueror, I lost the amount of kings I assassinated just to make sure the royal authority would never get too powerful. I killed a heir with the genius trait so that his younger brother, who had the "slow" trait would inherit (and the King gave his training to me, so I made sure he'd become the worse king possible). I tried to assassinate a six year old king, I had 0% chance of getting discovered so I was pretty much free. But the kid got maimed in my first attempt, and knowing that he wouldn't live long, I didn't try to assassinate him again.

Oh and, in the Game of Thrones mod, I, as the King in the North, executed a bastard of King Robert (who was married to Lyanna Stark when the bastard was born) that I captured in battle, because I saw him as an insult to my House!

Last edited:
I managed to marry one of my sons with a girl from the Byzantine empire's ruling house. When they had 2 sons (to be sure) I had to assassinate probably close to 50 people on their side and 5 from my side to make those children heirs to both my huge kingdom and the empire.
Over 8k gold spent, had -90 dishonorable penalty and a civil war that lasted over 5 years, glad that my king ruled for 50 years at that time with nice traits, so kingdom survived.
Worth it. They just wouldnt marry my children at all =(

This is as the King of Ireland & Norway (long story, and mildly evil), and Lord over just less than half of England and Wales, starting as the Count of Dublin. The worst series of events I accomplished in this game is divorce my wife, Henry VIII style after producing zero children after 21 years of marriage. That might not be too bad, but I then remembered that my nephew was married to the super-traited Princess of France, who had become third (she was fourth) in line to the French crown. So, I had my nephew excommunicated, arrested him, executed him, and then married his widowed 18-year-old bride. Then I murdered her brother, breaking a future mega-Scottish-French union with claims against me, and then her older sister. I'm now that couple's son, waiting for the ole' mom to bite the dust and leave me all of France and half of Spain (she launched three or four holy wars, and the Iberian Muslims have become weak all of a sudden), leaving me in control of basically everything in Western Europe but Scotland since by then I'll probably have usurped the English crown. Her demesne is also some of the most advanced in the world. I thought about killing her off, but my current king is just, kind, etc., and has 100 relations both ways with his mom, and I should still have a good 20 years to reign after she dies.

I plotted and succeeded in killing 4 child emperors of Byzantium within six months due purely to boredom and lack of anything better to do. I only stopped because the final Empress was of my dynasty. I then went on another killing spree, plotting against or assassinating or excommunicating, imprisoning, and executing 13 family members, including all three of my children and two grandchildren until the Empress was my heir.

I killed off five of my sons so my Kingdom would not be broken on my death. I was a noob at this time so I still had Gavelkind succession about 40 years into my game. My son did not even get the throne. He died so my grandson took it. With the same character I killed off five of my seven wives (one died naturally and one I died with)