• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good stuff. Very well-played, it seems. Especially for your limited experience in DW.

However, keep 2 things in mind:
1.If a province that you are sieging has low morale(Like in the image with the highlanders), just assault the province to quickly gain control of the fort. Keep in mind that assaulting is very handy, especially later on when you have higher morale.
*That's assuming you didn't assault the fort, if you did, then never mind*
2.Watch that infamy limit. Unlike IN, when you go above the infamy limit, there are actual bad side effects. These include: Massive rebellions, war exhaustion increases, many wars, etc.
Taking provinces with a casus belli that isnt reconquest, conquest, holy war, etc are 4 infamy each. Reconquest brings it down to 0 infamy per province(!), conquest, holy war, and excommunication 1 infamy, and others 2 or 3. Try to take provinces only when you have a decent casus belli, or if you have infamy to spare. Keep it up!

Overall, this update seemed a lot better than the other one. Keep them coming!

1.If a province that you are sieging has low morale(Like in the image with the highlanders), just assault the province to quickly gain control of the fort. Keep in mind that assaulting is very handy, especially later on when you have higher morale.
Remember though, to assault fortifications only if the the defenders have low morale or numbers, if you have a high siege precentage/breach, if your troops are advanced enough (i.e. gunpowder infantry + artillery vs. level 1 fort), or if you're just very desperate :D . Otherwise, you most likely will not suceed, and your beseiging army will lose all its morale.

Other than that, great job in expanding Scotland's borders. I hope you'll be strong enough to fight Denmark and France... or not.

Chaotic Progress Possibilities?? Sign me Up!

Just a quickie observation: Brandenburg, Burgundy, and Bavaria get a lot of missions that give CBs. While according to your map, Bavaria has already used most of them, the other two probably haven't.

Chapter 2: Scotland (Part 3)

King Robert IV has been on the throne for 24 years, so I need to hurry if the next part of my plan will be completed in time. You can see in the screenshot that I am slowly and surely building up my navy; I want to be at 2 carracks and 3 cogs before invading Orkney, which I should reach by next year. That event on the right of the screen took two points off my infamy, which should help. Not pictured in that update, I entered into royal marriages with Oldenberg and Pommerania, both of whom have no heirs. I'm looking for a base of operations from which I can seize Denmark, though I doubt Robert IV will make it that long.

EU3_39.jpg

It's on...

EU3_40.jpg

Orkney fell easily enough, but my two carracks were destroyed by the enemy coalition, stranding my 17,000 many army on the island. And now thousands of Scandinavians are about to come pouring onto the shores of Scotland. Oh, how I wish I had played that differently; I didn't need to send my cavalry onto the island. At least this way the enemy will not take it back from me.

EU3_41.jpg

Some good, if random news. You can't just barely see it on this screen, but the massive enemy stacks decided to take Munster first, giving me time to build up a replacement army.

EU3_42.jpg

Offscreen, Denmark annexed Munster. I'll get it back later. In the meantime, check this out. My ally Brandenburg took Meissen, so I went ahead and vassalized the OPM. Mwahahahah...

EU3_43.jpg

So, things are progressing relatively well. The enemy have stopped bothering with the British Isles, other than to hold my 2nd Army in Orkney; the main theatre of war seems to be in Germany, where Brandenburg is struggling with Mecklenberg, Denmark, and The Hansa. Now I suppose the only thing to do is wait and hope that pure exhaustion will force the Danes to give me the Orkneys (and hopefully Lincoln too).

And then this happens.

EU3_44.jpg

Looks like Brandenburg isn't doing so hot. Hopefully they will get knocked out soon, so that my score goes back up. Also, you can't see it on this screen, but I brought Leinster into the war to try and retake Munster. My slider move was towards Free Subjects.

EU3_45.jpg

Brandenburg is out now and my war score is back up to 8%. I managed to vassalize Wales, but I'm worried Leinster will be annexed. I shouldn't have brought them into the war without any naval projection power of my own. Ah well, lesson learned.

EU3_46.jpg

I tried a rescue attempt, ferrying two infantry divisions across the Irish sea before the Danish came and destroyed my two cogs. Then they brought an army of their own along. But no matter, I will build another fleet, twice as large, and try again. Their war exhaustion is 15 times mine; I can take as long as I want.

EU3_47.jpg

But alas, King Robert is dead! You see? Even the best laid plans of mice and men go awry! I'll be curious to see what the AI does with Scotland once I relinquish it.

EU3_48.jpg

Here is a map of the world. It looks like the state I left Ethiopia was too weak, as the Mamluks have seized Abyssinia. I want you guys to vote on which country I play next. I'd like to wrap of voting by tomorrow, though I will extend it another day if this turns out to be a lonely thread with no readers :(. One condition; I won't be playing anything in British Isles or Scandinavia; I could use a change of scenery. I think I made it into a link; so try click on it to expand it.

Good stuff. Very well-played, it seems. Especially for your limited experience in DW.

However, keep 2 things in mind:
*That's assuming you didn't assault the fort, if you did, then never mind*
2.Watch that infamy limit. Unlike IN, when you go above the infamy limit, there are actual bad side effects. These include: Massive rebellions, war exhaustion increases, many wars, etc.
Taking provinces with a casus belli that isnt reconquest, conquest, holy war, etc are 4 infamy each. Reconquest brings it down to 0 infamy per province(!), conquest, holy war, and excommunication 1 infamy, and others 2 or 3. Try to take provinces only when you have a decent casus belli, or if you have infamy to spare. Keep it up!

Overall, this update seemed a lot better than the other one. Keep them coming!

Thanks. I usually assault when the infantry in my sieging army outnumbers the defenders 10-1 or, as you say, when the rovince's moral is low. I tried to keep your advice on infamy in mind in the last update. Those cassus bellis are very helpful!

Remember though, to assault fortifications only if the the defenders have low morale or numbers, if you have a high siege precentage/breach, if your troops are advanced enough (i.e. gunpowder infantry + artillery vs. level 1 fort), or if you're just very desperate :D . Otherwise, you most likely will not suceed, and your beseiging army will lose all its morale.

Other than that, great job in expanding Scotland's borders. I hope you'll be strong enough to fight Denmark and France... or not.
Thanks, Qwerty. I could have beaten Denmark if I had more time. I'm thinking about going back and doing a King Hopping stops at Scotland AAR and seeing how far I can take that country, once I finish this AAR, of course. Any takers?

Chaotic Progress Possibilities?? Sign me Up!
Welcome aboard!

Just a quickie observation: Brandenburg, Burgundy, and Bavaria get a lot of missions that give CBs. While according to your map, Bavaria has already used most of them, the other two probably haven't.
I'll keep that in mind.

If you're feeling suicidal, move to Aragon. Otherwise, my vote is for Persia. That should be an interesting round :) .

Burgundy looks like an interesting option.... See if you can contain Le Big Blue Blõb....

Great idea, I ought to do that in a let's play once I find Eu3 in a store in my home province (BC) (I've so far bought all of my paradox games from zellers)

Naples sounds good. I was going to say "Venice, and expand your Balkan empire", except they don't have a king :( .

Naples sounds good. I was going to say "Venice, and expand your Balkan empire", except they don't have a king :( .

I'll take any country, regardless of their government type. King is just a useful shorthand. I was actually considered Venice, but when you look at the actual game map, they are completely screwed, beyond my noob powers.

Successful update is success!
Anyways, your skills have improved ten-fold since the first update!(or something like that. Maybe two-fold? one-and-a-half-fold?)

I was gonna say Persia, but seeing as that won't win, I'll just do what everyone else is doing and vote for Naples.
Also, just wondering hoe Brandenburg got knocked out of the war?
Good update, keep 'em coming!

Successful update is success!
Anyways, your skills have improved ten-fold since the first update!(or something like that. Maybe two-fold? one-and-a-half-fold?)

I was gonna say Persia, but seeing as that won't win, I'll just do what everyone else is doing and vote for Naples.
Also, just wondering hoe Brandenburg got knocked out of the war?
Good update, keep 'em coming!

Thankee, mediocre sir! Brandenberg sat around seiging Mecklenberg as his enemies went around him and took all of his provinces. That's about par the course for the AI, I suppose.

And sorry about the wait; I've been busy. As per popular request, I choose...

Chapter 3: Naples (Part I)

Here is a picture of the neighborhood to start things off. You can see, the AI has done well with Naples. I'm in the middle of a war to take Corfu which is backed by Genoa and two OPMs. You can see The Knights have been a good help, taking Genoa, but Rhodes itself is under siege.

EU3_49.jpg

I start things off with a move from Defensive to Offensive, as I imagine I will be doing a lot of attacking as Naples. Oh, and Genoa wants a white peace. No way, Jose.

EU3_50.jpg

The slider move gave me +5 prestige, which is cool. Looking at the disputed succession list, I saw Aragon was on there and immediately sent a royal marriage offer. My goal is to make the Mediterranean and Neapolitan lake. I'm also going to try and take Corfu quickly so that I can move on to Genoa.

EU3_51.jpg

I guess they picked on that ambition, because Aragon wants nothing to do with my king's daughters. Good news though; Corfu has fallen.

EU3_52.jpg

8 Infamy for itty bitty Corfu? Oh well.

EU3_53.jpg

Next I broke the Genoese siege of Rhodes, destroying their army and completing my mission. I know who I'll be attacking next...

EU3_54.jpg

As I'm waiting around for Genoa to fall, I get this event. As I already have a full slate of spies, I refuse the offer, gaining two prestige.

EU3_55.jpg

WHY IS THIS SIEGE TAKING SO LONG? Gah, the Knights gave up and went home, so I'm going to have to go and retake Corsica once Liguria finally falls.

EU3_56.jpg

About time!

EU3_57.jpg

Phase I has been completed. I begin setting myself up for phase two, positioning an army in Messina to seize Sicily (Sicily is allied with Epirus), and clearing rebels off of my new ally Corsica, after which I plan on moving them to Corfu to clear a rebellion there. Then the Knights ask me to help them in their war against the Ottomans. Sure, why not?

EU3_58.jpg

And this is why I don't like being the junior partner in wars. I had Yazgod and Edirne occupied and was about to make Bursa when The Knights peaced out for that province above Rhodes. Oh well. You can see how completely screwed the Ottoman's are. Castille and Epirus both profited; the latter's gains will make it more difficult for me to fulfill the latter part of my mission.

EU3_59.jpg

So, I'm preparing for Phase II again and Bohemia gets itself attack by Poland and Hungary! No way in Hell (or do I have to say H-E-double hockey sticks on this forum?) am I getting involved in that. Oh and look, my poor little Scotland is getting demolished by France :(

EU3_60.jpg

At last, WAR!

EU3_61.jpg

Not the best screenshot here, sorry. I lost the battle in Sicily and that army was annihilated. Does anyone know, if I had my fleet in the Straight of Messina, would my army have retreated back to mainland Italy? Oh, and Venice kicked me out of their trade league, so I'm joining Genoa's (who, remember, is my vassal).

EU3_62.jpg

Hey guess what? I'm the Papal Controller now! And I've also noticed the size of my fleet has been going up as I kick the Sicilian and Epirus...an fleets around. I love the ship capturing chance.

EU3_63.jpg

Wow, I've been playing this game for entirely too long. Part II will be up in a day or two.

Last edited:
Decent update.
Things to consider:
Annexing nations with no casus belli for 8 infamy is not really worth it. That infamy could be better spent in other places, or on vassalization, which is just 4 infamy.
When vassalizing nations in peace deals, it is best to not weaken them by forcing them to release other nations.

Also, on the battle in Sicily: Were you funding your troops completely? Was there a big difference in land tech? Did they have a good general? You should have won that battle, unless one of these factors was involved.
Also, Sicily probably moved their fleet into the straits, forcing your army to stay there and be annihilated. If you moved yours there, they probably still would have been destroyed, because the battle would have forced them back.
Keep up the good work. Also, why not just attacking Epirus with the subjugation casus belli by itself? I dunno if you know this, but your casus belli only applies to one nation in a war. So, if you have a casus belli on Sicily and Epirus, attack them separately at the same exact time so that you can use both casus bellis.
Keep up the good work.

Homy Dog speaks the truth. Especially Corfu is not worth 8 infamy, which won't burn very fast at your pace. Otherwise, how fortunate of you to step into a war with a bunch of minors :p . Easy pickings there, and vassaling Genoa was a good move. Increased tax, a loyal ally, and a good shot in their CoT.

So, keep an eye on your army and navy, and make sure you have the local advantage.

EDIT: You're right, Homy. After pulling out several magnifying glasses, I can see it is in fact an 'm'. My apologies :) .

Last edited:
horny dog speaks the truth

Why does everyone think that's my name?!?! Its not!!
That's an "m" not a "rn" thank you very much!

Well that's enough rage for now. Don't take me too seriously.