• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sleight of Hand

retired modder
On Probation
14 Badges
Feb 14, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
The names 'Lothaire' (frankish) and 'Lothar' (german) are not linked up -- they should be as they are versions of the same name. There were kings of France, Italy and Germany by this name, and so if one of either of these two cultures becomes king of France or Germany then they won't be counted in the regnal numbers, when they definitely should be. A guy called Lothar should be Lothair II of France, not Lothar I.

On the subject of these types of names, I notice that you have 'Clotaire' (frankish) but no 'Chlothar' (german) equivalent. This would be easy to add as a linked form, like with the above examples.

Hopefully this hasn't already been reported but it's an incredibly quick thing to fix.

Upvote 0
Similarly, there are entries for both 'Lothair' and 'Lothaire' in frankish.txt - neither are linked up so this means if there are kings by both of these names then they will have separate regnal numberings. I would suggest changing them all to 'Lothaire' in accordance with the above post.

What other names aren't linked that should be? (I'm sure there are some it's just that I mainly play as English/Saxon/French characters).

Names not being liked isn't unique for Lothar though. Names like Alan and Alain (French, Breton, Scottish, Welsh etc.) aren't linked, or Antoon (Dutch) and Antoine (French) both should be linked through Antoninus (or rather Antonius), or Waelram (Dutch) and Walram (German), or Fulöp (Hungarian)and Philip (English) etc.
So I think that Isaios has a good idea about making a thread about name linking.

Last edited:
I'll start a thread in the main forum and people can contribute their suggestions for names that should be linked. It would be of little use in the bug forum because I can't imagine many people browse here, but I suppose a mod can move it if they feel they have to.