+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of a bad heir

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Getting rid of a bad heir

Aside from assassination, what's the best way to get rid of a crappy heir? I want my 3rd son to inherit because he has great stats. Luckily, the first son died on his own. I need to get rid of the second son who has already produced an heir of his own. This one is an absolute buffon... Stewardship of zero! I'm trying to make him the Spymaster and spy on rival techs. I've lost countless Spymasters that way. I figure with his miserable scores he's toast. What about his son though?

Quote Originally Posted by heliostellar View Post
    Aside from assassination, what's the best way to get rid of a crappy heir? I want my 3rd son to inherit because he has great stats. Luckily, the first son died on his own. I need to get rid of the second son who has already produced an heir of his own. This one is an absolute buffon... Stewardship of zero! I'm trying to make him the Spymaster and spy on rival techs. I've lost countless Spymasters that way. I figure with his miserable scores he's toast. What about his son though?
    Imprison him and let him rot in prison? That's definitely an option but without a reason you 'll get the -40 modifier so it's prohably not a good idea. Give him a county and then drive him mad (break betrothals with random courtiers, hire/fire him from your council, make him court jester). After he revolts just beat him down and enforce demands (which leads to imprisonment), after that you can revoke his newly given title as well and you let him rot in prison. Be sure to throw him in the oubliette when he asks for better treatment, he'll be death within the year (unless he's strong, in which case it might take a little longer).

Regent-Custodian of the Light riknap's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Elective succession if you want to be less ... evil. Also, war. Send him to lead flank-less army against peasants or invaders.
    If you're really impatient and don't mind being evil, just send thugs to finish him.
    LUX INVICTA! Rebuild the Empire of Megas Alexandros! Restore Roman Glory! Banish the Dark Ages!
    >>[Subsidiary Modules] [Frequent Questions] [Gameplay Guide] [Changelogs] [LUX INVICTA AETERNA]<<

Saeculum Obscurum: A Late Antiquity Mod, Fall of the Western Roman Empire and Rise of the Early Medieval Era. [beta state]
    LIBERT3 Primary Portal, for the Lux Invicta Buildings & Events, Retinues & Tactics, Traits & Technology Module. [INTEGRATED]
    Advanced Battles & Combat Depth Essentials. Planning portal for a comprehensive tactics overhaul project. [WIP - RESUMED]
    El Psy Congroo: Battle for world-line delta. A role-playing invasion modification. [WIP - EXP farming]

Are you close to religious opponents? Declare and win a holy war and make him and his son bishops. Or just build a couple of churches. Either would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTodd View Post
    Are you close to religious opponents? Declare and win a holy war and make him and his son bishops. Or just build a couple of churches. Either would do it.
    'Cannot disinherit your heir by making him a bishop.' But you actually can, I believe, appoint him as an heir to a bishopric (although that's an obvious oversight, yeah).

Stabbity stab stab FTW.

Send him to the church any way you can. If he is unmarried he won’t wed. But if he has sons they need to go too.

You don’t want a great grandson showing up to take the place of your groomed heir.

Quote Originally Posted by moldeh View Post
    'Cannot disinherit your heir by making him a bishop.' But you actually can, I believe, appoint him as an heir to a bishopric (although that's an obvious oversight, yeah).
    I'm pretty sure you can take anyone out of succession by making them a bishop. The advantage of granting a bishop is that you can do that for minors, while they need to be 16+ to be made an heir to a bishop.

I'm pretty sure you can take anyone out of succession by making them a bishop. The advantage of granting a bishop is that you can do that for minors, while they need to be 16+ to be made an heir to a bishop.
    No, you can't. You can disinherit your other kids, but not your main heir.

Crusader Kings IIRome Gold

Blog Entries
    When I read the thread title I was about to post "Go to the barber", but then...
    Earth Invasion : Los Angeles

The Alien Invasion is here. Los Angeles is lost, unless a few good Paradoxians (and a bunch of Marines) throw them back in the ocean. Rules. Data. Map.

The spy-for-tech trick works pretty well. Either have him spy for tech in Byzantium or set up a spy network in some place with insanely high intrigue. Use the people search and sort by intrigue, then plant in that guy's court.

It's just annoying to do so because if your heir doesn't have high intrigue you get every courtier with even slightly higher intrigue wanting his job.

Any particular reason why Byzantium?
    Grandson of Lodbrok's Merchant Republic - A Norse CK2 Republic AAR.

Virgin Resources - A British AAR (Original Vicky AAR idea, no longer developed)

Quote Originally Posted by Ayn Mandarb View Post
    Any particular reason why Byzantium?
    Because you always get caught while trying to steal tech from that place. Probably has something to do with the fact that the Emperor has a crapload of vassals and courtiers to choose his spymaster from and always ends up with a really good one.

Quote Originally Posted by moldeh View Post
    No, you can't. You can disinherit your other kids, but not your main heir.
    Well, you're right. I typically use Gavelkind and have spent some time disinheriting heirs. After reading your last post, I just tried granting my heir a bishop title and you can't! Learn something new about this game every day.

Well, you're right. I typically use Gavelkind and have spent some time disinheriting heirs. After reading your last post, I just tried granting my heir a bishop title and you can't! Learn something new about this game every day.
    I use Gavelkind too . But I disinherit my heirs by having them stabbed repeatedly in the face.

Under elective, you can grant your firstborn son a bishopric.

Regent-Custodian of the Light riknap's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintEsteban View Post
    Under elective, you can grant your firstborn son a bishopric.
    under elective, you could choose your heir in the first place
    that said, he's obviously using either seniority or primogeniture (the latter most likely) and wants to keep the law that way
    LUX INVICTA! Rebuild the Empire of Megas Alexandros! Restore Roman Glory! Banish the Dark Ages!
    >>[Subsidiary Modules] [Frequent Questions] [Gameplay Guide] [Changelogs] [LUX INVICTA AETERNA]<<

Saeculum Obscurum: A Late Antiquity Mod, Fall of the Western Roman Empire and Rise of the Early Medieval Era. [beta state]
    LIBERT3 Primary Portal, for the Lux Invicta Buildings & Events, Retinues & Tactics, Traits & Technology Module. [INTEGRATED]
    Advanced Battles & Combat Depth Essentials. Planning portal for a comprehensive tactics overhaul project. [WIP - RESUMED]
    El Psy Congroo: Battle for world-line delta. A role-playing invasion modification. [WIP - EXP farming]

Quote Originally Posted by riknap View Post
    under elective, you could choose your heir in the first place
    that said, he's obviously using either seniority or primogeniture (the latter most likely) and wants to keep the law that way
    No, you can't just choose your own heir. You can nominate it, but even happy vassals can derail your plans. But you can give anyone a bishopric, cutting out potential competitors.

Have him assassinated yourself. Or take the humane solution: Just go for elective succession and never look back.
    Grant your awesome heir his own barony or preferably duchy when he becomes an adult to increase his popularity and keep your unwanted son at court. Appoint him the leader of your armies at every opportunity so that he 'can show his worth'. Since he has stewardship of zero he obviously isn't very interested in governing anything anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dáin View Post
    Have him assassinated yourself. Or take the humane solution: Just go for elective succession and never look back.
    Grant your awesome heir his own barony or preferably duchy when he becomes an adult to increase his popularity and keep your unwanted son at court. Appoint him the leader of your armies at every opportunity so that he 'can show his worth'. Since he has stewardship of zero he obviously isn't very interested in governing anything anyway.
    I wouldn't suggest landing your heir. Ever. It's never a good idea. The AI will surprise you with its ability to lose every good trait and gain every bad trait possible (including kinslayer, when he kills your king).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast