• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Now, the obvious question that any intelligent student would ask at this point would be, was this truly the most evil man to ever sit the Danish throne?.

And the answer must be a resounding, “yes”, king Lennart was just about as bad as they got, at least as of the time of the writing of the Gesta Danorum. When compared with his illustrious ancestors and successors, he stands out like a sore thumb. The best thing he ever did for the realm was to die.

I most heartily agree. It’s quite clear, unless you’re a nincompoop and I won’t name names on who that could be, that Lenneart 1 Kin-Slayer was the worst of the worst. It’s a shame that others who are apparently more challenged intellectually than I am don’t see the wisdom of your words. I do admit that I am puzzled on who killed Lenneart but I suppose that with so many suspects standing in line waiting for the opportunity it would be a waste of time trying to find the guilty one.

The Holy Father saw fit to excommunicate Lennart and drain Denmark of money at a time when Lennart was engaged in defendign Christendom from the paynim. Pehaps the Holy Father saw the opportunity for a nice little earned ror was in the pay of the mohemmedans?

Put it this way Lennart by no means acted like anyone else who has ruled Denmark. No-one was left languishing in the royal dungeons, he sired no bastards and was even-handed in the distribution of justice. He cast no covetous eyes on anyone else's lands and women. He didn't murder anyone after he came King and I'm inclined to the view those cousins deserved it. From the viewpoint of the Gesta Danorum, the Danes are used to rules steeped in rape, pillage and murder andsofrom thier point of view , lennart was the most evil king ever tyo sit on the tbloodsoaked throne of the Danes.

Been reading this AAR, and I have to say, very nice; about Lennart, apart from his kin slaying ways, he really wasn't a bad ruler, just very unlucky.

Is contrition upon being confronted with one's vileness the essence of Christianity? I say a man who is willing to bribe his way back into the graces of the Church may not be the evilest of men.

Evilest of Danes, maybe.... maybe.... Yes, I'll grant that. And upon further thought, would the Lord Jesus accept bribes?

Evilest of Danes, maybe.... maybe.... Yes, I'll grant that. And upon further thought, would the Lord Jesus accept bribes?

Give unto Caesar that which is Caesar's and unto God that which is God's.

The answer is clearly yes, but you have to pay in the correct currency. Since the Danes have looted and conquered in many lands, they should have the right stuff in their coffers somewhere.

Probably from England. Pennies are the standard English coins of the era, and Peter's pence are what the Pope expected to be paid.

Born to Breed: The Estridsen Lectures

Asger I Estridsen – His Youth

general rejoicing, England says no girls, general backwardness, a cousin for every occasion, about the unworthy, the Caliph makes his move, observations on the letter 'd' and historical direct-to-TV series, romance and screenwriters, It Came From the Desert, a familiar tale, boy meets girl, diverse alarums, a digression, the campaign of 1115, deva vu, the red Nile, the Poor Fellow-Soldiers, the reckoning, not with a bang, but a whimper, historical coughs, the glory of 1120, “On Obliteration”, an end to war, bodily opinions, the issue of issue, king to king, peas in a pod, on the competitive spirit and madness, competition, and victory.

Asger I, king, 1113 A.D.
year1113asgerisking.jpg

Welcome back, class.

The year is 1113, the king is dead, and the people rejoice at his demise. He leaves behind two young children, a boy, Asger, and a girl, Rikissa. The girl is the older at 15, but is deemed unsuited for the rulership of England by the people due to the nature of her sex, they being then as now a rather backwards part of the realm, making Asger I at 9 the rightful king of Denmark and England with a cousin as his regent.

In Denmark as in England, nobles hungry for power view the power vacuum as an opportunity for advancement and in distant Rome itself, unworthy members of the church plot against the crown when the holy father's attention is elsewhere.

Meanwhile, the realm's holdings in Alexandria are under attack by the Caliph, who has united the saracens against the Danish intrusion in the region, and have declared a Jihad – Holy War.

In other words, the situation is dire and death, destruction, and many other fateful words beginning with 'd' are entirely applicable to the situation, which thus seems tailor-made for a historical direct-to-TV series lacking only a romance element, which can always be supplied. Screenwriters seldom have problems in that regard.

Indeed, last year's smash hit, “It Came From the Desert: A Tale of True Love”, while lamentably inaccurate in every possible historical way despite its claims to portray the life of the Great General of the Cross, is nevertheless a rousing story of derring-do during the times of King Asger's minority: Boy meets girl, boy and girl have mad passionate sex, boy joins the army, girl is eaten by an deranged camel, boy goes whoring across the continent while slaughtering infidels against the backdrop of a world gone mad, boy joins a monastery in old age and receives a vision of girl as he lies dying in the grip of a hideous disease... it is a familiar story seen in a thousand plays since the Bard's spectacular “A Midsummer Night's Scream”, and it never gets old. But I digress.

The Formative Years

So, what was life like for the boy king, you might well ask? He was tutored in the arts of statecraft and combat by the top men of Denmark and early showed a considerable interest in military strategy, no doubt nurtured by the stream of reports arriving from Egypt. His tutors tried to foster a strong sense of kindness, honesty, charity, diligence, and duty in him, and were to a large degree successful. These things are known, but little else is known of his childhood.

Thus we'll leave what is best left to speculation to the philosophers and novelists and concentrate on the cold hard facts of the major influence during his minority: The Alexandrine Jihad.

The Saracen Jihad, 1114
year1113muslimsagainsta.jpg

Though initially repulsed in 1112 with heavy casualties, the Caliph spent 1113 rallying support to his cause. With his enemy, king Lennart, dead, seemingly by divine providence, there were no shortage of saracen rulers ready to join the struggle, either as part of the Caliph's Jihad or in adventurers of their own. By 1114 much of the sunni muslim world was up in arms, and fresh armies were invading Alexandria, armies of a size to dwarf what had come before.

There were four separate main thrusts: The Caliphal Jihad, the Kermanshahi Jihad, the Mervian Jihad, and the Esfahanian Jihad. Of these the Kermanshai and Esfahanan were sideshows to the main action, featuring armies of only a few thousand men each, while the Mervian Jihad, led by Beylerbey Savur I of Merv, who rallyied many saracen princes to his cause, rivalled the Caliph's Jihad for scope and ambition.

The Caliphal Jihad, 1114
year1114caliphaljihad.jpg

The Danish regency spent 1114 quelling internal dissent, but by spring 1115 it had the backing of a sufficient portion of the nobility to field an army with some hope of slowing the saracen tide before all of Danish Alexandria was lost.

Holding Back the Tide, Spring 1115
year1115beingoverrun.jpg

The campaign of 1115 was bloody:

Campaign of 1115
year1115warcomposite.jpg

Despite scoring a series of great victories, the Danish armies were too weak to stand on the offensive, so once the saracen tide had been checked, many of the levies returned to Denmark leaving the mercenaries and local levies to hold the Alexandria during 1116. Given a bloody nose, the saracens spent 1116 skirmishing with the mercenaries and rearming, with the result that they were back in force in 1117.

Deja Vu – 1117 is 1115 All Over Again
year1117beingoverrun.jpg

1117 was a replay of 1115. It is said that so much blood was shed that the Nile flowed red the last 100 kilometers to the sea, though this is likely an exaggeration. Determined to end the war, the Danish regency threw everything into a spring campaign in 1118, enlisting the support of Hugues de Payens and his newly formed order of the Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon, fresh on the heels of their order's official recognition by the Church.

The Knights Templar Form, 1118
year1118knightstemplar.jpg

Those stalwart defenders of the cross that were to feature so prominently in Danish history faced a true baptism of fire but they passed the test and smote the infidel hip and thigh. In joint command with the Estridssen dukes they never faltered and they fought the length and breath of Danish Alexandria throughout 1118 and 1119.

The first Jihad against Alexandria ended not so much with a bang, as with a whimper. The Caliph sued for peace in June, 1118, after seven bloody years of warfare. The Kermanshi Jihad dragged on until August 1119 and the Esfahanian Jihad finally ended in January 1120. Only the Mervian Jihad lingered on, driven by the implacable will and uncountable soldiers of Beylerbey Savur I, but even he was pressing his attacks with less vigour than in former years.

Now, it might be suspected that 1120 would become yet another of those years to go unremarked in the history books, a mere cough to mark the passing of time until 1121, but this was not to be the case. Indeed, 1120 was a truly great year, one of those marking the beinning of great deeds, and it is not without reason that we to this very day celebrate April 5th as a national holiday.

The Glorious Year 1120

Asger I, being then in his last year of minority, was visiting the province of Alexandria for the first time to give him a safe taste of the war he had dreamed of and practiced for from the safety of Ringsted for so long.

No longer a boy, king Asger was mighty-thewed and, standing 6'2” while still not having attained his full growth, he was a giant by the standards of the time and was on the verge of becoming a man with a man's desires and a king's ambitions. Moved to unexpected oratorical heights by the sight of the Alexandrine garrison, that had suffered so much and so harshly under the saracen attacks, he gave the famed “On Obliteration” speech, which so moved the populace that the last doubters spontaneously converted to the true faith.

Alexandria Converts, April 5th, 1120.
year1120alexandriaconve.jpg

Buoyed by the acclaim heaped upon him by potentates near and far, it was a confident young man who returned to the capital took up the reigns of power upon the end of the regency. He'd by then been king for nearly half his life and he was prepared for the worst. The only thing marring the future was the likely end of the Alexandrine wars, for though his head desired peace, his heart cried out for the clash of arms and the glory to be won on the battlefield, and his other body parts held private opinions too.

The End of the Regency, September 24th, 1120.
year1120regencyends.jpg

There was, of course, one major issue to resolve before seeking the battlefield. The issue of issue, as it were. The issue was resolved by divine providence aided by a competitive spirit.

The King of Bohemia had two daughters, as alike as peas in a pod, if peas came in tightly wrapped form-fitting size 5'6” with eyes to kill for, smiles to die for, and huge tracts of land, though that's a pretty large pod, come to think of it, so this particular simile may need some work. Be that as it may, the King of Bohemia had two daughters, twins, Zofie and Bozislava, and he brought the twins along on a state visit to king Asger's coronation, obviously trolling for a royal catch.

The International Marriage Market, 1120
year1120marriageprospec.jpg

The young king was enchanted. Zofie had a biting tongue and the quicker wit, Bozislava the calm head and the gentle wisdom, and being double-teamed by two such beauties competing for his fancy, for they sore wished to marry this handsome young ruler far from the gloomy depths of Bohemia, the one with a nice rustic castle, splendid beaches, and the largest kingdom in the north, was more than any man could resist; the local competition stood no chance. The princesses were very competitive.

The negotiations with the king of Bohemia must have been spirited, for it is written in the Gesta Danorum that on the fourth night of negotiations the Bohemian king, being deep in his cups, was driven to the verge of madness by the relentless badgering of his daughters as to who was best suited as a political bride and, finally dropping off the edge and entering free fall while happily waving sanity farewell in the distance, he offered king Asger a once in a lifetime two for the price of one deal to take his daughters off his hands.

It being against church law, king Asger refused, no doubt with some regrets that he didn't live in earlier and less strict times but possibly also with some reflection upon the problems of too many women under one roof. Be that as it may, Saxo states that king Asger in a flash of divine inspiration arranged a competition for the twins to resolve the issue without any hard feelings.

The two ladies being too wonderful to choose between, he explained, and he being a martial young fellow who could be expected to spend most of his life in the saddle, he'd marry the better rider, who was able to keep up with him. Saxo is unfortunately vague on the competition as that particular section of the Gesta Danorum was lost in the unfortunate incident of 1611. Apart from a few words condemning ring-riding, there's nothing left. Was the competition, perchance, a long distance race, an endurance match, a sprint, or were there several disciplines? If the latter, was the maligned ring-riding one of them? Did the competition take place the next day or later that week? Did the twins enter the competition with the same glee and competitive spirits they had displayed before? We shall never know.

What is known is that Zofie Presmylid won and thus became queen of Denmark, while her sister returned to Bohemia.

King Asger and Queen Zofie, 1120
year1120marriage.jpg

Okay, that was sophomoric. Lesson re-learned: Remember to always wait a day and review before publishing update.

Last edited:
How unfortunate there is no futher information on the Competition of the Premyslid Sisters...

Okay, that was sophomoric. Lesson re-learned: Remember to always wait a day and review before publishing update.

Perhaps, but, nonetheless, it was quite amusing.

Yes, well, nevertheless....

I should have the next update up this weekend with a bit of luck, next week at the latest, and I promise you it'll be so straight-laced that $INSERT_JOKE_HERE.

Bohemia, traits, peas... Is it intentional that I'm instantly reminded of Gregor Mendel? :)

With the professor, nothing is un-intentional!

He tries his best with us. Yes, Murmurandus, I know... He's old and cranky, but... Oh, hi there professor! What a lovely day it is! Don't you just love the sunny.....ouch! My ear! Please.... Auuuuuuch!

He tries his best with us. Yes, Murmurandus, I know... He's old and cranky, but... Oh, hi there professor! What a lovely day it is! Don't you just love the sunny.....ouch! My ear! Please.... Auuuuuuch!

Actually, the old chap has mellowed quite a bit with age, considering that ten years ago it would've gone along the lines of:

Get your feet off that table, young man! Wait a moment. What did you say?

Dude? DUDE? DUDE!?"!?¤#¤!¤?

WHACK-SLICE-GRIND-GRIND-GRIND
Owww. My *deleted*. You grated my *deleted* and *deleted* with the big *deleted* *deleted*.

Serves you right. A *deleted* is a teacher's best friend. Nothing like cutting, or in this case, grating, a student down to size.

And that was 100% by year 1500. I know that certain young scalliwags with no morals and less sense have, stealing valuable time on the simulators, achived a rather higher inflation in shorter time. That, however, is nothing to be proud off!

And, Mimir?
Yes?

WHACK!
Ouch

France will be left alone only temporarily.

Ah, good times. :) Thankfully, I wasn't enrolled at the time, otherwise I would've suffered worse than a sullied reputation.

Oops, yes, this AAR got shoved on the backburner, first due to workload and planning a new MP game, then further on the backburner during my summer vacation. My apologies. It is, as far as I am concerned, still ongoing. Slowly.

As a substitute for elevator music, anybody in desperate need of reading something eminently sensible, can read the current ongoing CK2 MP AAR game, a Fistful of Dukes (link in my signature), while waiting for the Estridsen Lectures to update.

Will do! Your MP AARs are always something of it's own.:p