Severely disappointed. Lockups every 30 seconds.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The game should run fine with your specs but it's possible that there is some combatibility issues with the graphic driver. Lower graphic settings may help if that's the case (Try to disable Antialiasing, HDR lighting etc.)

The game should run fine with your specs but it's possible that there is some combatibility issues with the graphic driver. Lower graphic settings may help if that's the case (Try to disable Antialiasing, HDR lighting etc.)
I've tried that, I've tried literally everything that has been thrown at me.
A quick google search yields many with problems similar to mine.

Hi TrueCoppa,

Do you have the same behaviour with any other games? Or is CiM the only one where it happens?
I'm wondering, since your hardware specs, drivers and temperatures seem to be alright, if it is not caused by a software which conflicts with CiM.
I have no idea what kind of software you have on your computer, but I believe it is possible an anti-virus or some background apps residing in memory could cause an issue alike yours.
Have you tried to temporary disable your anti-virus?
Also, if it is always happening around every 30 seconds (or at least a regular interval), can you think of any app you use which schedule a repetitive operation?

I would start by disabling all non-Microsoft services in msconfig (Windows+R), etc., to ensure nothing else is interferring. Then restart and see if that did the trick.

Have you installed your motherboard chipset drivers?
Have you tried a clean installation of Windows?

When you tried older videocard-drivers, did you remove the newer ones with Driver Sweeper first?
http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
1. Yes
2. No, I have tried it on another 7 installation on my PC though. Same result
3. Yes

Hi TrueCoppa,

Do you have the same behaviour with any other games? Or is CiM the only one where it happens?
I'm wondering, since your hardware specs, drivers and temperatures seem to be alright, if it is not caused by a software which conflicts with CiM.
I have no idea what kind of software you have on your computer, but I believe it is possible an anti-virus or some background apps residing in memory could cause an issue alike yours.
Have you tried to temporary disable your anti-virus?
Also, if it is always happening around every 30 seconds (or at least a regular interval), can you think of any app you use which schedule a repetitive operation?
It's only CiM. I tried disabling my anti-virus software (Malwarebytes) and I cannot think of an application like that.

I would start by disabling all non-Microsoft services in msconfig (Windows+R), etc., to ensure nothing else is interferring. Then restart and see if that did the trick.
Done that, didn't work.

This is becoming a strange issue now, as absoloutely nothing seems to fix it.

My initial guess would be overheating, but that's already been ruled out. Here's some other thoughts;

Alternatively, your hard drive is failing and the game resides on a bad sector of the disk (which could temporarily be solved by whiping but long-term by replacement).
An illigitimate version of windows might be bugging you at fairly often intervals, as could any sort of driver/hardware checker or scanner (e.g. Dell support programmes).
A scheduled defragmenting programme might also be a possibility? Do you have any IRQ conflicts?
Do you have a DVD in the drive? Anything plugged into the USB sockets?
Origin/Steam could be annoying you?

Finally, a faulty power supply could be an issue, and whilst you might not think you're overclocking, you might well be if you had the computer custom-made that uses a 3rd party overclocker (e.g. ASUS) and thus could be overheating (sorry to bang on that drum but that's been my experience in several similar issues I've fixed on both my and friends/family computers).

The power supply may be a good point, because if the problems also happen on another Win installation that runs on the same machine, it sounds more like a hardware failure than a software one (except if the two installations are set up very similar of course). Also, faulty power supplies can lead to a wide variety of funny PC behaviours, from random shutdowns to bluescreens or other weird stuff, making it hard to identify them as the root behind all evil. As long as they don't completely break down, that is. ;)

My initial guess would be overheating, but that's already been ruled out. Here's some other thoughts;

Alternatively, your hard drive is failing and the game resides on a bad sector of the disk (which could temporarily be solved by whiping but long-term by replacement).
An illigitimate version of windows might be bugging you at fairly often intervals, as could any sort of driver/hardware checker or scanner (e.g. Dell support programmes).
A scheduled defragmenting programme might also be a possibility? Do you have any IRQ conflicts?
Do you have a DVD in the drive? Anything plugged into the USB sockets?
Origin/Steam could be annoying you?

Finally, a faulty power supply could be an issue, and whilst you might not think you're overclocking, you might well be if you had the computer custom-made that uses a 3rd party overclocker (e.g. ASUS) and thus could be overheating (sorry to bang on that drum but that's been my experience in several similar issues I've fixed on both my and friends/family computers).
1. My hard drive is in perfect condition (I ran several SMART assessments)
2. My windows version is legitimate
3. I don't have scheduled defragmenting
4. Nothing except my mouse and keyboard
5. I tried with and without steam open, no difference.

I built my computer myself, I have not overclocked anything and I even checked my clock speeds and voltages against the factory defaults for my specs, they match.

Well... I guess there is nothing else to do than state that your machine simply cannot run Cities in Motion, for whatever reason. Tried a different machine? A different version of Windows?

And before I forget, why do you have no a CiM icon by your avatar?

What is your processor? Intel, AMD?
Hyperthread enabled?
What is your motherboard model?

Something you could try:
Run the game in windowed mode.
Set the game priority using Task Manager, to high priority.

This could be a bug called "race condition", when some threads lock each other.

If you built it yourself I'm 99% certain it's your power supply - my brother builds PCs and built mine and his, and the problem he had with his first one was near-exactly what you described. Try another power supply, or more importantly check that all your connections are all where they should be. Alternatively, take the side panel off the computer and put a normal summer-fan and make sure the heating isn't the problem at no extra cost (i.e. get a simple desk fan, aim it at your computer, and cool it without paying out for another fan first) - my second computer 10 years ago used to blue-screen whilst running Rome total war when i first bought it and it was because Packard-Bell were too stupid to cool it well enough.

If you built it yourself I'm 99% certain it's your power supply - my brother builds PCs and built mine and his, and the problem he had with his first one was near-exactly what you described. Try another power supply, or more importantly check that all your connections are all where they should be. Alternatively, take the side panel off the computer and put a normal summer-fan and make sure the heating isn't the problem at no extra cost (i.e. get a simple desk fan, aim it at your computer, and cool it without paying out for another fan first) - my second computer 10 years ago used to blue-screen whilst running Rome total war when i first bought it and it was because Packard-Bell were too stupid to cool it well enough.
My temperatures are always good, also Cities in Motion is literally the only game it happens with. But I have a spare PSU around, it's slightly less powerful but I will switch them and see what happens.

If you take a good look around this forum, and the tech support and also Steam's CiM forum and other forums you'll find the AMD OpenGL issue is QUITE common. Anyway CiM's developers are definitely lacking in a lot of areas, there is no point in backing them up. CO's own staff was saying back when people where complaining about lack of diagonal station support that the developer says it is 'impossible' to do.

I'm sorry, but it's not. It just takes time and effort that they don't seem to be able / willing to 'allocate'. And if you have't followed the issue with the trams getting stuck, that took them bloody ages to sort out as well. All in all, CiM is good design wise, I'll give them that, but it is severely let down by the development side.

Try to set the .exe to handle more than 2gb. Sometimes make games work on win 7 64 bit with problems.

This is for EU III (from faq of MEIOU), but you can apply it to any exe.

Step-by-Step tutorial for patching Paradox EU3 executable and allows it to memory adresses past 2Gb.

This step is pretty much mandatory with Divine Wind version, specially for people using Win7. If you experience disappearing windows before a game crash, this is likely your problem.

Don't forget that since the mod directory doesn't work with DW you should have a specific EU3 installation for MEIOU:TD in any case.

1. Backup your eu3game.exe. Simple way is making a simple copy/paste of the file and rename it.

2. Go to http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php

3. Download CFF Explorer Suite (see red circle on the screenshot).

Download location

4. Install the application.

5. Now run the application (Start Menu > Explorer Suite > CFF Explorer)

6. Choose File > Open

cfffileopen.jpg

7. Browse to the main eu3 folder (the installation from which you'll run MEIOU) and select eu3game.exe

cffeu3gameselect.jpg

8. Once your exe is opened, a new panel appear on the left.

Click "File Header" as highlighted on the screenshot :

cfffileheader.jpg

9. A new panel appear on the right.

Click the button simply named "Click here" at bottom right as shown on the screenshot :

cffclickherebutton.jpg

10. Once again a new panel opens, this time in a specific window.

Activate the "App can handle >2Gb adress space" checkmark as highlighted on the screenshot and hit ok :

cff2gbapp.jpg

11. Choose File > Save, then exit the application.

12. Congratulations, you're done.

NB : Credits for this should also go to SnakeByte99 who brought it to our attention, and to the first person on CivFanatics who got the idea to apply this on Civ4.

If you take a good look around this forum, and the tech support and also Steam's CiM forum and other forums you'll find the AMD OpenGL issue is QUITE common. Anyway CiM's developers are definitely lacking in a lot of areas, there is no point in backing them up. CO's own staff was saying back when people where complaining about lack of diagonal station support that the developer says it is 'impossible' to do.

I'm sorry, but it's not. It just takes time and effort that they don't seem to be able / willing to 'allocate'. And if you have't followed the issue with the trams getting stuck, that took them bloody ages to sort out as well. All in all, CiM is good design wise, I'll give them that, but it is severely let down by the development side.
I have all the patches and DLC, in the limited playing time I have had I still find my trams often get stuck, which is why I hardly use them.

Try to set the .exe to handle more than 2gb. Sometimes make games work on win 7 64 bit with problems.

This is for EU III (from faq of MEIOU), but you can apply it to any exe.
Thank you!
Your fix worked wonders for me, I can finally play the game!
Unfortunately now I am faced with the issue of the various bugs in the game, but that's another thing.
Thanks for your fix.