• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

azedalis

Major
148 Badges
Aug 24, 2005
  • Iron Cross
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Galactic Assault
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Legio
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
America and All the Troubles II

HoI3_MAP_USA_1936110_1.jpg

I decided to redo this AAR for a couple of reasons. First the main idea for the game I want to play is different. Second, I want to do a comparison between Dies Ires: Stars and Stripes (DI) and standard 3.05 FtML (FtML) comparing where you are at each year. So I am going to post a few rules I will be going to abide by.

1. The USA will not place any spies in other countries until they do a hostile action and prior to full blown war. She can only add 2 spies to a country for each hostile action she observes from another country. I will try not to have more then 50 non-designated spies. That means until I goto war, no increasing threat of other countries.

2. I can not change my controlling party to anything not blue (Democrates or Republicans only) and I must stay a democracy. I will as history was in the Allies only and I will try to stay at peace until Pearl Harbor or 1942. I may (and plan to do so) lower my nuetrality early mainly to get to 65 for abilities to change laws and policies.

3. My builds will not include reserved land forces. I will also open up the 1942 campaign and record the number of ships, planes, land forces and such. I can not build moe then 150% of the starting forces beofre war. I may build new ships and when they are completed decomission a same class ship. One exception is max of 12 CVs and 6 CVLs at start. Also I will not count event units under these limits. Also land brigades with no frontage will not be worried about.

4. Ships originally at Pearl Harbor should be at Pearl Harbor by 1941 if at all possible. No building of Island Shore forts pre war. No more then doubling of ICs at any location. All other buildings have no limits with the exception of Infrastructure when it starts 2 or less may only be raised to 4.

5. The FtML game is only for comparison for prewar determining if DI is way off or not.

6. May only tech rush 5% of the number of thechs I am researching. IE i can only go with the lowest level techs I can research with the exception of 1 for every 20 things I research.

I have messed with DI quite a bit in the past few days, so I know basically what I want to do the first couple of years.

First thing I want to do is get rid of as many of the penalties you start with by decisions and laws, so I can to build up as I want.

Second, I want to lower my neutrality to 65 while keeping my unity above 70 so I can get the best prewar laws.

Third will be to research like crazy to catch upto and hopefully pass the other nations.

Fourth, Whenever I am hit with disscent I must make an effort to lower it at a reasonable rate.

So my next main post will have pics and actually be play and not describing my idea for this AAR. Please post any recommend ideas, rules or whateverry you might want to add.

Last edited:
Saved For Chapter List and such.

Chapter 1 - Noticible Differences - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13668574&viewfull=1#post13668574

Chapter 2 - Plans (Post Game - January 1936 DI) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13672499&viewfull=1#post13672499

Chapter 3 - Gaining Ground (February - June 1936 DI) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13676028&viewfull=1#post13676028

Chapter 4 - Head Above Water -(July 1936 - Dec 1936 DI) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13676511&viewfull=1#post13676511

Chapter 5 - 1936 FtML and Comparison - (Jan. - Dec. 1936 FtML) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13680316&viewfull=1#post13680316

Chapter 6 - Onward and upward - (Jan - Dec 1937 DI) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13684147&viewfull=1#post13684147

Chapter 7 - 1937 FtML and Comparison (Jan. - Dec. 1937 FtML) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13684759&viewfull=1#post13684759

Chapter 8 - USA still suffering - (Jan - Dec. 1938 DI) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13686168&viewfull=1#post13686168

Chapter 9 - 1938 FtML and Comparison - (Jan - Dec. 1938 FtML) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13686861&viewfull=1#post13686861

Chapter 10 - Collaspe of Peace - (Jan - Dec 1939 DI) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13689808&viewfull=1#post13689808

Chapter 11 - 1939 FtML and Comparison (Jan - Dec 1939 FtML) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13691161&viewfull=1#post13691161

Chapter 12 - As War Approaches - (Jan - Dec 1940 DI) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13694960&viewfull=1#post13694960

Chapter 13 - 1940 FtML and Comparison (Jan - Dec 1940 FtML) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13698632&viewfull=1#post13698632

Chapter 14 - Last Days of Peace - (Jan 1941 - Pearl Harbor + 2 DI) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13703331&viewfull=1#post13703331

Chapter 15 - 1941 FtML and Comparison - (Jan - Nov 23 1941 FtML) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13706184&viewfull=1#post13706184

Chapter 16 - First Month after Pearl - (Nov 22 - Dec 31 1941) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13716772&viewfull=1#post13716772

Chapter 17 - Into Germany - (Jan-March 1942) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13721814&viewfull=1#post13721814

Chapter 18 - Denying the Seas - (Apr - July 12th 1942) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13728617&viewfull=1#post13728617

Chapter 19 - Necktie and Pigbelly - (Jul 12th - Sep 6th 1942) - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...S-to-FtML)&p=13773197&viewfull=1#post13773197

Last edited:
Chapter 1 - Noticable Differences

One thing I have going for me for this AAR is that I have 2 computers side by side so I can compare the mod to the base game. So I ask myself what are the important differences besides things like the interface, pictures on startup and such. I start them both up, as USA, normal difficulty. So when I actually get in both games, What are the noticable differences between Dies Ires: Stars and Stripes (DI) and standard For the Motherlands (FtML)?

HoI3_2-1.jpg

DI - Screenshot

HoI3_1b.jpg

FtML - Screenshot

A few things to notice right away, DI has alot more starting modifiers, and such also has a pretty heft difference between availiable ICs while the base ICs are the same. Another obvious difference is the use of National Guard units verses standard infantry. A small amount if disscent in Di is also seen. As seen below there is little difference atleast at this level.

HoI3_3-1.jpg

Side by side of the 115th

As you can see, the National Guard unit is like an improved militia unit, and pretty close to the 1918 Infantry unit. They can upgrade into regular Infantry. There is also differences in the fact there is a rangers unit and the USMC has a special page for research. Which I will talk about in another chapter. Talking about changes in research, here are the pages that are different. There maybe other changes in Technology but they are not obvious.

HoI3_4-1.jpg

INF - Page

HoI3_6.jpg

USMC - Page

HoI3_7.jpg

Aresonal - Page

Here is the Diplomatic page showing the new decisions you need to make as soon as you can to remove the penalties DI gives you at the start of the game. It is highly recommend by me to remove them as soon as possible. But they all cost money to remove. The first one cost 2000, the next two 3000, and the last two 4000. For a grand total of 16,000 cash to remove them. Which means you need to try to make as much money as fast as you can. Lots of manual trades in my opinion is my recommendation.

HoI3_8.jpg

Another thing changed are the Strategic Effects. Even the common ones like Grand Fleet, Great Army and such have the triggers different and the effect different. So we will see how these will change the game.

Starting units have changed slightly. In Di you have 12 Inf and 72 NG where FtML has 84 Inf. In DI you start with 12 more DDs and planes are the same. As for what is in production, DI has 2 extra destroyers being produced.

Last edited:
Chapter 2 - Plans (Post Game - January 1936)

My first priority prior to allowing time to pass is to try ti reduce supply need as quickly as possible. The easiest way will be to get all my units close to each other and form one front basically. This will allow me to reorganize all my units at the same time reducing supply as much as possible. So the first thing I did was to set all air units to move to Washington, D.C. Also I moved all the Navies from the east coast and from Colon to D.C. as well. The exception is the transportation fleet which I will send to Puerto Rico and Colon to pick up the garrisons. I then send all the fleets and Armies from the west coast to Norfolk, with the exception for CONUS and Guam HQ Which I sent to LA so I can eventually ship them to Hawaii. My eventual plan is to use all the startup armies in 3 brigade plus 1 artillery placed in all my Island, Colon, and Alaska locations making a decent by not overpowering outer defense. I am also using the West Coast Transportation Fleet to gather up all the units in the Pacific Theater.

On the production page I set Upgrades and Production to 0.00. Upgrades to 0 because I will have tons more ICs later in 1940 and 1941 which should be plenty of time before war breaks out to upgrade. There is a possibility after the SCW starts I can decrease my Nuetrality by sending aide to one side of the conflict, for this I need 10K in supplies. Plus I will need it higher so when I make decisions that give me large dissent I can put all my production to removing it. So doubling my supply is needed basically and I would rather delay finishing off the production list then not being ready for a nice nuetrality decrease. Remember my intent is not to enter the war early, but just drop nuetrality down as fast as I can to get better laws. I set reinforcements to 0.25 wghich should minimize any increases. I set CGs to 45 to have enough to zero out dissent in a day or two and pump the rest in supplies.

HoI3_10.jpg

On the Technology page, I decided to only start researching Education to start with. The sooner I get more leadership the better. So I put 1 point of my 27 to research and the rest I dump into Espionnage so I can get 10 spies in the USA working on Counterespionage or rasing National Unity. I know that for USA considering to raise National Unity up is never thought of, but since I will probably do some decisions that are not popular with the masses to lower my nuetrality, so National unity might go lower then 70, which is where I untill I get my laws the way I want is my minimum needed. So off to the Intelligence page and set all foreign spy priority to zero. This way all my spies go to either freespies or the USA. At 26 I will recieve 1.3 spies a day, since I need atleast 6, by the 6th or 7th I should be full and producing free spies.

On the politics page, there is little I can do. I this was FtML without the mod, I would change the Armament Minister to Dern for the +20 supplies. But this is not an option in DI. Plus I have alot less resources being produced in DI right now, so the +5 resources might be needed for trading. So for now I leave this page alone. So the only other thing I can think of doing before I start is to trad as much as I can for money. I will have to start as many trades as I can to increase incoming money, and continue to do so as I get more diplomats. Ofcoarse I will accept any trade offered me, but unless I want all these negative modifiers to hang arround way to long, then I need to make deals quickly. I really don't care if any of my resources are going downat the start, my main concern is increasing supplies and $$$ at the start. Later I can actually ditch producing supplies and buy what I need, or even allow my trades to be automatic. but at first, the AI has no idea why I want to trade like I do. I think the game AoD has a real nice trading system where you say your goals and what you want to stockpile etc. makes using automatic control so much easier.

After doing trades with the top 8 countries with money, I let 1 day pass. This removed my dissent allowing me to set CG to need plus 0.05. In one day I have over doubled my cash coming in. But I want to get it even higher so I started more trades. My first money goal is $200 so I can goto "Comsumer Product Orientation." This will lower my CGs alot while my production runs will take longer, it stills frees up more ICs that can be used to produce supplies or whatever so it is well worth it for right now. I will not notice much right away from my moves, with the exception of the Air Force should arrive soon. After one more day passed I have now over tripled my money coming in and I have enough diplomats still for 4 more trades...will see what I can do. At this point I want trades that are atleast +$1 so I was able to do 2 more trades. I will need to wait till the 10th so I can hit up some of the countries I am already trading with.

On the 7th, I had enough money to goto CPO and did so. I was able to cut money going to CG to 19.12 which is about 16 more ICs toward supply. At the same time I have 10 domestic spies and 2 free. So I set my leadership to 26.00 toward research, and 0.5 each toward Diplomacy and Espinioge. I started the following technology researches. All 4 Air Craft Carriers techs, All 4 light Cruiser techs, 3 Basic Bomber techs, USMC Espirit de Corps, 4 Light Tank Techs, the 4 Infantry Techs and Engineering Brigade. and the 4 Destroyer techs. I normally go for all Industry techs first, but radio detection and better providence AA guns are not as important as getting ship techs up since ships do not upgrade. Also the light tank techs are needed to be raised to learn other techs that are needed to get our future armies more mobile.

As units get to Norfolk and Washington I do minor reorganization by placing as many units under 1st Army (created) under 1st Army Group (created). I then setup as many logistic Wizards as I can to reduce the supplies we are using to maintain our troups. I leave already created HQs built. I am also continuing to gather forces as I let time pass. I should be able to get all my brigades under 1 army with all the fleets and airplanes under the army group. I contined doing all I could stopping and saving on February 1st. I change my Production stuff at this point in the next chapter.

HoI3_11.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 3 - Gaining Ground (February - June 1936)

As I start February I am fairly pleased with the outcome so far. No events happened so far but, I have over 14k of supplies, $1268 even after paying to goto CPO. My domestic spies are at 10 with 3 free. So the next thing I do is goto production screen. Make sure reinforcements are still 0.25 and CGs are at need plus 0.05. Since I have a fair stock pile I can put Production to need plus 0.02 and I will still have a little over my need for supplies. Can't build anything new, but atleast can work on my current list. On the spy page I have caught 0 spies lately and no indication of spies in the USA so I switched my domestic spies to increase National Unity.

I have little else to do until I get to $2000 so I contine on playing with the new settings just continuing to do the little stuff I need to do. On the 3rd 2 destroyers were complete. Due to the knowledge that I would like more ICs later, I started 2 runs of factories (Newark and Baltimore). I could continue making destroyers, but since they would be 1934 models I figure I should wait till I catch up on technologies before making many more ships.

HoI3_12.jpg

On February 17th I had collected the $2000 needed to Pass the Economy Act. This act drops a -25% money, and a +5% need for comsumer goods in both peace time and wqartime. but that is about $3 a day and 5 more usable ICs not being put into Consumer Goods. So again I start another factory improvement, this Time at St. Louis. On the 22nd the other 2 destroyers were finished. I added factory chains in Los Angeles and San Franscisco. This put me a little light on supplies fully fundinf them. But since I already have now over 20k, there is no reason to stockpile anymore for now.

HoI3_14.jpg

On the 3rd of March two events happened. The first is the Neutrality Act of 1936 and the second isthe Difficulty of play mode. I was really tempted to not promigate for 1936. But the gain of 6 national unity instead of -5 to nuetrality, loss of 6 national unity, 15 dissent and -15 to democrat percentage and popularity was hard to swallow. Now if any other event that dropped my national unity first, I would have not promagated it since I would have lost all my drops in NU. But since I was still at 100% there is no harm. As for the Difficulty settings, I gave the bonus only to Japan. Japan seems never to take China if it doesn't get this bonus. Ofcoarse it is too quickly taken in my opinion with the bonus.

HoI3_16.jpg

On the 4th of March, I got my first possibility to drop my nuetrality by getting the "League of Nations - Rhineland Crisis." The backing of Soviet sanctions helps several ways. I can lower my Neutrality by 10, and give germany a penalty for about 2 years on resources by 20%. The price is a whooping 25% dissent and a 15 loss in Democratic party popularity and organization. I don't see it as a big hit. I can lower the dissent in about a month most likely. By April 5th the dissent was gone. But ofcoarse I dropped a little insupply but not by too much.

HoI3_17.jpg

On the 21st of April I had enough money to remove another bad effect. This time I went for the "Invest in Research" decision. This will remove both a 20% penalty to leadership and a 20% penalty in Research Efficiency. Definately a needed improvement. I change where my leadership points were going since now I went from 27 to 32.4. I put 32 toward research so I can research 6 more at a time and put the rest in diplomacy so I cantrade some more. I added the following 6 techs - Supply Transportation, Supply Organization, Infantry Warefare Research, Automobile research, Operational Command Structure and Operational Level Organization. Now I bet your asking yourself why automobile and Infantry Warfare reseach. Simply put is that in part of the new USMC tech tree these two research techs must have 3 and 4 respectfully lranks to allow for me to gain special techs.

On June 2nd, the SS unit got produced and I put the extra ICs into supplies so I was not running a negative amount. On the 4th, all 4 destroyer techs came up so I replaced them with the 2 artillery and 2 AA techs. On the 10th of June the 4 CL techs were done. replace them with the 2 AC and 2 AT techs. Also on the 10th I had enough cash to do the "Works Progress Administration" decision. The loss of a -10% IC and a removal of a +5 daily dissent penalty is a welcome site. I started making a rocket test site in Salt Lake City and started to imprive the Infanstructure of SLC, Vernal and Creston in a start to improve supply routes to the west coast. Also increased infrastructure at Wendover, Ely, Shoshone Mountains, Paradise Peak, Babbitt and Carson City. This is my attempt tp start a trainline from coast to coast. Now currently I am about 9 IC short for this trainline...but eventually I will get there.

HoI3_19.jpg

On the 29th all the CV techs were done. Since the Armor tech is 2 years behind the others I did not remove it from the que. But added mobile Warfare, Schwerpunkt and Blitzkrieg. On the 30th of June Light Tank Engine completed and was change for Elastic Defense. Next Post should be July - Dec. 1936.

Last edited:
Chapter 4 - Head Above Water -(July 1936 - Dec 1936)

As I sit here looking at my current situation, I can final feel like I am getting my head above the water. 3 out of 5 cash costing decisions are done. With the 2 $4000 ones left. I do have $1221, which is a little less then a third of what I need to remove one more. I have lowered nuetrality by 10. I have the fuel and supplies needed if the Spanish Civil War starts. I have plenty of National Unity for all the laws I want to see. Only thing I am worried about now is rares., I am down to 4732 from almost 9000, but even at this rate of dropping I should have enough to get these last two decisions done where at that point I could stop selling rares.

HoI3_21.jpg

Lets continue allowing time to go. On the 2nd we received thei nformation that France had the Popular Front. On the 6th Light tank armor and reliability finish, but they both need to catch up to light tank engines. On the 8th Light Armor Gun , and the 3 bomber techs. I start People's army, Large Front and Guerilla warfare to replace the Bomber techs. On the 14th the USS Quincy (CA) is finished. left the ICs for making my railway system. All the base infantry techs besides small arms finished on the 16th and will be continuing. Small arms on the 17th. I added mountain Infantry to the tech list even though we don't have the leadership for it right this second. On the 31st, USMC espirit de Corps finished and Engineering Brigades. I started Delay Doctrine.

HoI3_22.jpg

On the 1st of August we recieved the "League of Nations - Abyssinia Crisis." This is pretty close to the last one with Germany. We only lose 5 Neutrality for the 15 dissent. But the effects on Italy are -25 crude Oil, -25 Fuel and -15 resources. So I pick the sanctions and start dropping dissent. On the 14th I had enough to enact the "Hours and Wages Bill" which removes the effects of the great depression. By the 18th I had removed all the dissent. After putting the spare ICs to production, I was able to extend the Train route from San Francisco to Chicago, which just leaves connecting Chicago to the east coast.

HoI3_23.jpg

HoI3_17.jpg

On the 2nd of September, both the research techs got to level 1, continuing to research them. On the 4th, an event which would push the USA toward fascism occured. I have no intention to try to become a facist government, so I chose "we are better than that." 10th we got the olympic games of 1936. On the 17th the enterprise's CAGs finished. This gave me enough to connect Chicago with Dteroit, Cleveland and Pittsburgh, finishing the planning of the first Supply route accros the USA. On the 18th the 2 CAGs for the Yorktown was done. The IP put towards Supply until I have enough for an air wing.

HoI3_27.jpg

On the 21 of September, The Spanish Civil War started. Hopefully in a few days I can support a side, most likely will try to support SPR since USA would not support Facism. On the 28th, both new carriers finished. Now as I read back I forgot to say I started an Rocket Test Site which should be done in March. With the IPs that are completed, I decided to start my first Strategic Bomber Wing, since these take alot of time to produce and they will be needed to take the war to the enemy if we ever get into war.

HoI3_28.jpg

At the beginning of October, our rares were said to have less then a month, abnormal for USA to have any resource problems, but it is evident that soon we will be done paying cash for removing effects. On the 14 we had enough to get rid of the last effect. First thing needed to do is to get our resources positive, especially rares. With this last effect allow us to go to 0.00 in Consumer Goods. I stopped all trade except those for steel and energy. This way I ca start getting my stockpiles up. Also I will be producing enough money for my needs without that trade. If and when I see my levels increase enough I can start trading what I have a large surplus of. On the 20th, Education research finished, instead of switching it out for another tech, I feel keeping it going would be worth it. It is only 2 years ahead right now and after 2 more months, we will be only a year ahead. I now have 33.75 leadership. I put 33 towards research adding Mass Assault tech and put 0.40 toward Diplomacy and the 0.35 toward officers.

HoI3_29.jpg

HoI3_31.jpg

On the first of November "The Spanish Civil War Intervention" happened. This is a must do if I want to decrease Nuetrality early since it drops it by 20. The loss of 15k of supplies and 7.5 of fuel is a big hit, but they will go towards prolonging the SCW if nothing else. The drop in Democrat popularity and organization is regretable. I set it to reduce the dissent ASAP. Two new laws are availiable, 1 year Draft and Basic Mobilization, both I enact. This allowed me a few extra IC in which I started to produce another Interceptor wing. Since I plan for a semi Historical build by 1942, I decided when the last CV tech completed upto date, I would research 1936 BB engines since its the only tech not at the 1936 level. A diverse makeup for the armed forces is my idea.

HoI3_32.jpg

The 1936 electons had a change in the Primary Party to the Republicans...good thing we supported the Spainish Republic. What is with this game? Can't we get a good vice president??? LOL I tried to change the cabinet so that I would not have a fractured government penalty. In a few days I will see if I understand the concept. When the 2 AC techs finished, I started researching Intregrated support and central planning. On the 22nd the dissent was gone, yeah.On the 22nd November my dissent was zero again. With the new laws CG need was 4.54 so I set it to 4.59. I set supplies to 15.00 giving it a few more ICs then need since we have only 6.5k right now. The laws also saw a temporary increase in Reinforments, so I set it to need, it will drop in a few days. Even with the increase in reinforcements it left me 34 more ICs for production. I started a TAC and a NAV.knowing that the 5 or so ICs needed more in production cwill be added soon when reinforcements drop. All the artillery techs finished but were continued since they are not up to date. When reinforcements dropped I started 4 CLs and set it to 0.25. I took under 1 IC from Supplies to have full production, but I still have over 3 ICs going to Supply over need. 2 more Light Tank techs completed and I switched the points to research Infantry Warfare and Special Forces.

HoI3_33.jpg

On December 3, the last light tank tech completed its 2nd rank allowing me to switch it to medium tank brigade. When Infantry AT weapons completed, I cahnged to Assault Concentration, finishing Land doctrines for 1936. Samm arms -> Interception tactics, Last 2 infantry -> arctic & mountain warfare equipment, and operation level organization continued. No other events or techs finished until January 1st, 1937. SSo this ends this chapter. My next chapter will be a 1936 Overview of the FtML first year and comparison between the two.

Last edited:
I need an answer form you all on how you want me to proceed.

I played through 1936 with FtML, I pretty much got bored. Nothing much happened besides the usual stuff, Italy puppeting Ethiopia, Start of the Spanish Civil War and a few minor chance events. I was expecting to be close or ahead of the DI game in both Techs and production, but I feel this is not the case. Part of it deals with FtML not having combined infantry techs (Infantry, Calvary and Militia.) I could replay it and instead of trying to mimic the DI game I could try to maximumize IC production and skip more techs like militia and calvary. So I ask you all, Should I keep the mimic game or on purposely try to rush ICs and skip certain techs like milita and Calvary?

Chapter 5 - 1936 Comparison - (Jan. - Dec. 1936 FtML)

I will just for now at least use the game I already done. I might do a second game with trying to see what the max output I can get with both. But, since I am not planning on maximizing the DI game, I see that the comparison to a maximizing FtML game would not be right either. So I am going to give you a run down on the current situation on both games.

First we will list the current resources in both games. FtML has 99999 energy, 81728 Steel, 18135 rares, 99999 Crude Oil, 41660 supplies, 40342 Fuel, $3549, 197 Manpower and 10052 officers. The DI game has 51996 energy, 32302 Steel, 3979 rares, 28312 Crude Oil, 6605 supplies, 25618 Fuel, $1535, 209 Manpower and 10118 officers. So by just looking at this, FtML has excelled or dominated in all resources besides manpower and officers. As for units produced in 1936, the only differences was the initial 2 extra Destroyers in DI compared to the 1 Interceptor Squadron the FtML game produced. So there is nothing very different there either.

Now on to production. During the FtML game production was pretty constant so things in the que will be done earlier and in that game overall IC/days of production for 1936 would most likely be higher then the DI game where. This is because of dissent caused by events used to lower neutrality. But this will change soon, I feel. There are several reasons for this. First, is the fact that in the DI game, the Basic Mobility of Economic Laws is already implemented and as Nuetrality lowers further, better laws can be enacted. Second, In the DI game, the effects that are different then the FtML game are affecting basically resources, while the "New Deal" effect in the FtML game increases Consumer Goods needs in Peacetime and decrease Manpower. Current IC's for FtML is 0/256/153 with 35.80 needed for Consumer Goods (117.2 ICs free). In DI it is 0/256/217 with only 4.56 needed for consumer goods (212.34 ICs Free). So basically we have about 95 more ICs to play with in DI next year then in FtML and ofcoarse this could increase easily if events allow for neutrality to lower further.

A quick word about manpower, above I told about the "New deal" and how it affects manpower in FtML. Ofcoarse with the new conscription law of "One Year draft," the DI game's Manpower will be increasing faster. 12.4 monthly for DI compared to only 1.6 in FtML. And as stated above this difference will be increased if better laws become availiable.

Leadership is fairly equal, 33.75 in DI vs 33.93 in FtML. Research on the other hand is a littler harder to figure out which is ahead. In the FtML game looking at the Infantry tab, Calvary techs are not at 1936 levels yet using up 4 techs DI didn't need to research, and DI is researching Marine Infantry that FtML has not started yet. The Di Only tab of USMC, Espirit de Corps has been researched. Armor techs are even. On the Escorts tab DI is researching Subs (4) techs and FtML is not. Di is also research Battleship Engines where FtML is not. On the theory page DI has completed Supply Transportation and Organization where FtML has not finished them yet. and DI has researched1 level in both automotive and Infantry Warefare research and is continuing both. And DI has also started Interceptor Tactitics which FtML has not. So all in all I feel somehow DI is doing a bit better even though it started with a penalty to research efficiency and leadership.

So I feel right now the games are quite different, but simular enough at this point that if war started in 1937 for USA, they both would probably have about the same power. But, in the long run, having maxed resources this early is not enough of a lead for FtML game because there is probably 5 years to go before war for the USA and by that time the Di game will have outproduced and have alot larger manpower base then FTML.

Chapter 6 - Onward and upward - (Jan - Dec 1937 DI)

I am sorry but I had to rewrite this year of Game progress. I had the whole year done and game saved and the Chapter done when power flickered here and caused me to lose the whole report I typed up while playing. So for now I will not discuss when techs were done or whatever like that. I know when certain things happened and I do have screenshots so I didn't lose too much.

HoI3_1-2.jpg

A small thing I wanted to add about the end of 1936. USA's Usable ICs were 2 ICs more at the end of 1936 then Germany's. So I really don't think I will be bad off when I goto war. Remember that even though I am pushing Neutrality for the laws, I do not plan to enter the war early, infact I will purposely use ICs for my own thoughts of how I would run the USA. Like this year, I devoted when my ICs increased again in July, alot of ICs to make a major interstate along the US-1 path, IE the whole Eastern Coast from Maine to Florida was improved, more on this later.

HoI3_2-2.jpg

On Feb. 3rd we had the "Neutrality Act of 1937" happen to us. As normal until I get Nuetrality down for the best prewar laws as possible, I decided not to pass it this year. Increasing neutrality by 10 or decreasing it by 5 is an obvious choice here. Ofcoarse I had to decrease Dissent as quickly as possible by putting all ICs on Consumer Goods. This small drop in Neutrality also allowed me to enact the two next laws, two year draft and full mobilization. With as many Ics I have now lowering dissent to zero only takes a few days.

HoI3_3-2.jpg

In March I had the "Flint Sit-Down Strike" which affects the United Auto Workers. I decided its best for the nation to put a little money $500 on the problem. I continue to crank out techs and airplanes mainly, but also in March my Rocket Test Facility in Salt Lake City was completed. So I decided with the extra ICs to start 4 CLs to go with my planned 1st USN Carrier Taskforce. This taskforce will be the 2 new carriers and the 2 east coast carriers that were attached to the battleship groups. So I probably make these CTFs 4CVs, 2CVLs and 6 CLs. Not super stacks but should be good individually or can be escouted by a SAG or another CTF if they encounter a large enemy. I will put the Rnager in my second CTF which will be for the East Coast.

HoI3_5-2.jpg

On July 3rd I was allowed to goto the best laws, but it sparked my intrest what happened to cause my neutrality to drop again. Looking in the log I noticed that Japan declared war on Nationalist China. Ah..there we go..thanks Japan and good luck with China. So now I was able to enact the 3 year draft and War economy. Wow this helped. I started the East Coast Improvement Act, this included ensuring all ports and airports along the coast were large enough to handle anything. Also AA batteries were strengthened. A port was added at Charleston and all places that had factories were doubled. Ofcoarse the interstate increased the infrastructure of coast also. It was a bit more then I could build at this time but the plans are there and will be completed as soon as possible. On the 24th Japan Joined the Axis.

HoI3_6-1.jpg

On Dec 3rd, I had an unpleasant event. All this improvement to have Wall Street Crash causing another depression. This depression hits me everywhere it counts, leadership, manpwer, ICs by increasing them to about 110 ICs and all. Not to mention having to deal with dissent again. This will make game sense when I pass the next Nuetrality act. America will have to suffer for a year. Also my stacks of resources were hit hard and money went to $0.

HoI3_7-1.jpg

During this year we had good and bad things happen, but all in all I believe USA is in alot better shape then it should be. I will do another comparison after I play through the FtML game to show you all the difference. 1 thing. anytime a ship or air unit is recieved I always replaced it infact I will tell you during the review what I am producing for the war. On note on the last picture you can see that the railroad is progressing in Salt Lake City (where the rocket is.)

Last edited:
Chapter 7 - 1937 FtML and Comparison (Jan. - Dec. 1937 FtML) -

Just like last year, the FtML game Is not designed for entertainment for a USA player. The Spanish Civil War ennded with the Nationals winning. Japan started its was against China. Also due to the diffence in ICs, In the FtML game, I did not get to start alot of the production that I could in the DI game. And ofcoarse I could not afford to enhance the east coast like I did.

So lets compare the games like last year. First we will list the current resources in both games. FtML has 99999 energy, 99999 Steel, 18478 rares, 99999 Crude Oil, 52457 supplies, 71633 Fuel, $8078, 192 Manpower and 10052 officers. The DI game has 62412 energy, 58915 Steel, 17753 rares, 57093 Crude Oil, 25372 supplies, 86836 Fuel, $138, 325 Manpower and 10214 officers. So by just looking at this, FtML has excelled or dominated in all resources besides manpower, officers and Fuel. As for units produced in 1937, the differences was for Naval units 4 CLs were completed in the DI game with none produced FtML. No army units were produced in either game. Now the airforce, The DI game has 4 Interceptors compared to 6 in FtML, And the DI game has produced 1 Transport the FtML game doesn't. Also just for information DI also produced the rocket Test Site where in the FtML game, it has not been started.

Now on to production. During the FtML year production was pretty constant besides a few dissent minor events and a few factories produced. So things like the train route in the que will be done earlier. But the whole year DI was out producing FtML allowing it to start alot of production the FtML game could only hope to make in the future. Now I admit the east coast Interstate project is not needed but a fun project, at the same point part of that project include factories which will widen the difference. Now the Di game had several events that caused dissent, but the lamount of time that dissent affected production was minimized by the high IC output. Current IC's for FtML is 0/264/165 with 36.47 needed for Consumer Goods (128.53 ICs free). In DI it is 0/264/363 with 110 needed for consumer goods (253 ICs Free). So basically we have about 126.5 more ICs to play with in DI next year then in FtML and when the Wall Street Crass effects drops at the end of November the drop in Consumer goods should be about 70 or so.

A quick word about manpower, last year I told about the "New deal" and how it affects manpower in FtML. Ofcoarse with the new conscription law of "Three Year draft," the DI game's Manpower will be increasing alot faster. But the Wall Street Crash is also dropping man power by 40%, but since this year I increased the laws twice, in the DI game it is now 15 monthly for DI compared to only 1.7 in FtML. And as stated above the Wall Street Crash effect will drop out at the End of November 1938. I have no idea when "the New Deal" drops in the FtML game.

Leadership is fairly equal, 29.7 in DI vs 33.93 in FtML. Now the drop in research for DI is caused by that dreaded Wall Street Crash. But one saving grace was that due to all the events politics in the USA is different in DI right now, which allowed me in July to switch to a Man of the people for Minister of Security. The plus 5% leadership since July might have helped the DI get further ahead this year, but next year almost all of it will have the -20% loss, so not going into research that much, each are simular in research levels and will probably be close next year also, infact unless there is something to change this, I feel that both games will be so close in research that listing the differences will be a mute point. What will be a more important difference to see is what the difference in the Aresonal Techs and the Lend Lease Laws in DI compared to the Lend Lease Events in FtML will mean to production rates and levels. Plus will the extra production capability of DI affect practicals more?

My 1937 conclusion is this, DI is fun to play with a lot events allowing for the USA to go probably to any government type. The ability to lower neutrality is a real concern since it is so powerful for the USA. But I overall like DI. It will probably not be a challenge but should allow for alot of possiblilities. I checked German and actual ICs are only 217 right now. USA has more then that as a base never mind actual ICs being over 140 more then Germany.

In a way it feels like DISS has less techs, or atleast less techs your pretty much forced to research (useless cav techs D=)

I think DI:SS has more techs, but, several are single ranked. But for USMC you must do 7 ranks of Research techs, so it easily evens out. Calvary techs are only researched because it is a requirement for Mechanized Infantry, so I do the 2 rank minimum for each. The Millita techs will be helpful in FtML because of the difference in manpower between the two games. With just the production of a few air wings, in the FtML game manpower decreased last year! So garrison units might be the ideal unit for Island garrisons. But I do like the National Guard units in DI:SS. They require less supplies then standard infantry but are close to the same stats atleast at the start of the game. In the DI game, manpower increased alot even after two mobilization laws. With my HR of no reserve units, when war comes, there should be only a small amount of manpower/ICs drop when USA Mobilizes.

I say keep this game going...I rather enjoy seeing this all play out ;)

I am glad you are encouraging me. There is no way for the FtML game to even come close to the production of the DI:SS game, even if all I did in the FtML game was to produce factories for the first couple of years. Right now the FtML game only has 5 runs of factories in the Que compared to the 21 in the DI:SS game. So the comparison even now is a mute point. The main part of this AAR is to play DI:SS in a way someone new to the game might play it, show typical events from the game and to have fun playing it. I am also hoping DD will read this and maybe adjust things a little in the next patch. I know I could have given all the axis the bonus. But this will be my first full game using this mod.

Thanks to anyone reading this AAR. I hope people will enjoy it and look past my lousy typing skills and poor grammer.

Chapter 8 - USA still suffering - (Jan - Dec. 1938 DI) -

USA is in an amazing position right now. Even with all the penalties of the Wall Street Crash it is still has the strongest Economy in the world right now. There is a question that I was thinking about, If in a USA game, the USA decided to keep lower neutrality as fast as it can (this game I could of had neutrality atleast 5 lower even at this point, that would be like 41 at the beginning of 1938. With using spies to cause threat from say Mexico and Canada, could USA actually declare war on atleast Canada and annex it? Canada has 2 strategic resources USA doesn't. And could the USA still join the Allies after that? Could be a fun tactic to try sometime.

It is about time I check out what they say USA had at the Start of the war. The Army consisted of 5 bridages of Armor, 3 Calvary, 12 Garrison, 45 Infantry, 11 LArm, 7 Marine, 5 Mech, 30 Milita, 4 Motorized and 72 National Guard. The Airforce has 16 CAG, 13 Int F, 6 Ftr, 3 Nav, 9 Str, 13 Tac, 1 Transport. The Navy has 13 BBs, 7 CVs, 33 DDs, 13 CAs, 23 CLs, 19 SS, 24 Trans.

So my roughly max of 150% larger forces would be -> Army 8 Arm, 4 Cav, 18 Garrison, 66 Infantry, 16 LArm, 12 Mar, 8 Mech, 45 Mil, 6 Mot and 108 NG. Air 24 CAG, 20 Int F, 8 Ftr, 6 Nav, 12 Str, 18 Tac, 2 Transport. Navy 18 BBs, 12 CVs, 50 DDs, 18 CAs, 36 CLs, 27 SS, 36 Trans. I plan on making 6 CVLs so most likely I will not produce all the BBs and CAs prewar.

So after deducting what i currently have what I can produce is for the Army is 8 Arm, 2 Cav, 4 Gar, 54 Inf, 16 LArm, 12 Mar, 8 Mech, 45 Mil, 6 Mot and 36 NG. For the Air Force it is CAGs No more then 3 spare. 16 Int, 8 Ftr, 5 Nav, 11 Str, 13 Tac, 1 Trans. Nav can build 3 BBs, 7 CVs, 6 DDs, 2 CAs, 22 CLs, 9 SS, 12 TP and 6 CVLs. For the Air Force only change I would make is increasing Transports to 4 for one group. And for the Army is to reduce the Infantry by 4 to allow 4 Airborne. I also believe the numbers I used were just after the pearl harbor attack. So I might be short changing myself a little, but I don't think I can build all this stuff prior to the war, we will see.

I took the Laiser-faire minister so that I could reduce CGs need by 10 to place them on our large production que. 2 Int made. On Valentines, Japan annexed Shanxi. 1 Trans finished. On March 3rd we was able to cancel the "1911 US-Japan Comercial Agreement" This stops sending pretty much free crude and fuel to Japan. I don't want to hamper Japan too much, but it means I can now regulate who I sell my fuel and crude to. I can't embargo Japan until August 1941 which will stop the effects of us forced to sell supplies and resources to Japan. At that point we can really affect the power of Japan.

HoI3_1911_US_Japan.jpg

HoI3_1-3.jpg

On the 19th of March I decided to support China, hoping that they will last, but I really doubt it. On the 11th of April Communist China fell to Japan. On June 17th, we got the "USS Panay Incident" Here we could easily get ourselves into war with Japan. Japan right now in a two front war, that would just be so nasty. But we are trying to play historical so I must let this chance. On the 11th of August Japan Annexed National China and puppeted Xibei San Ma. A dark day for Asia. On the 26th of August Germany had the Anschluss of Austria, the Axis is gaing power quickly.

HoI3_3-3.jpg

HoI3_6-2.jpg

The Treaty on Munich happened to Germany on October 6th. Allowing Germany to take part of Czechoslovakia. As germany gets more agressive I wonder how good the AI will be before I get into the war. Japana annexed Guangxi Clique on the 25th of October.

HoI3_7-2.jpg

When the effect of the the Wall Street Crash ended, I quickly reduced the Consumer Goods ICs from about 110 to about 10. Those extra ICs were quickly use by starting 6 Cvs and 6 CVLs with attached aircraft.With the Wasp arriving to the Rnger Taskforce at the very end of December, this run of ships will fill my CAG, CV and CVL needs. I had finished 1938 just prior so they should be pretty good. I also will continue making new CLs to go with these modern carriers. Well its the end of the year. Next chapter is the comparison Chapter.

Last edited:
Chapter 9 - 1938 FtML and Comparison - (Jan - Dec. 1938 FtML) -

Another really uneventful year in the FtML game. Japan seems to be rolling over China, but is not finished like in the DI game but close. Same basic events from Germany. So far its been pretty historical. So I will not dwell on what happened. What I need to compare I will try to do now.

Resources - Both games have maxed Energy, Steel, Crude and Fuel. So we need just discuss the others.
Rares 32869 DI - 13788 FtML
Supply 12274 DI - 57890 FtML
money 6424 DI - 12857 FtML
Manpower 493 DI - 178 FtML
Officers 10277 DI - 10297 FtML

Unit Differences: Army 2 Art brigades made in the FtML game. Air force Di has 2 extra CAGs since it has 1 extra CV. FtML game has 1 extra Int F, but DI has a Ftr. The FtML game has 1 more NAV. DI has 1 more Str and 1 more Tra. Naval differences is as stated before DI has 1 extra CV and 14 extra DDs. So it looks almost even besides the extra carrier.

Production is still way in favor of the DI game: 0/285/391 DI with CG need of 9.77 so about 381 after CG and Reinforcements vs 0/271/169 with CG need of 37.35 so about 131 after CG and Reinforcements. So the DI game has about 250 more ICs to play with. Manpowers monthly gain - 22.1 Di vs 1.7 FtML...again an enormous difference. Leadership is 36.45 in DI vs 35.29 in FtML. I would put DI ahead by 5 tech ranks. Not a real big difference. But a little.

Now for fun I got a screenshot for each game, zoomed out showing infrastructure. You can see the train route where both are doing well completeing it, but the FtML has improved the area in the mountains more. And you can also see the Interstate work allong the east coast in the DI game starting to take effect. The CVs made in the DI game will not be in the game till the first half of 1940 and all the CAGs also, the CVLs will be done late next year but will have to wait for the CAGs.

DIInfrastructure1938.jpg

DI Infrastructure

FtMLInfrastructure1938.jpg

FtML Infrastructure

Last edited:
I'm surprised so few people are posting here...I'm enjoying this quite a lot. American AAR's tend to be somewhat rare, and the new DI has interested me for quite some time.

The funny thing, is the only major transcontinental railroad at the time for actual economic means was the Great Northern Railway, going through the Northern states to Portland and Seattle...the Transcontinental railroad had fallen apart in the 1890s. :p So technically, the railway should go from around Chicago through Montana and Idaho to Washington State and Oregon, with minor railways across the Rockies and Arizona desert.

The funny thing, is the only major transcontinental railroad at the time for actual economic means was the Great Northern Railway, going through the Northern states to Portland and Seattle...the Transcontinental railroad had fallen apart in the 1890s. :p So technically, the railway should go from around Chicago through Montana and Idaho to Washington State and Oregon, with minor railways across the Rockies and Arizona desert.

I did the railroad for 3 reasons. One this game still give problems with supplies. Even with all my Army in Washington, just having 2 CVs and associated CAGs in New York, (10 Infrastructure all the way, They still was not getting full supply! So I really want to help out the situation by trying to provide supply routes to the west. Second, is that I had alot of extra ICs very early, which I could have done several things with. Pumpup up my industry even more to rediculous levels, make midwar class units or ships, or enhance my infrastructure to support a possible war. In a roleplay reason, this would be like other projects designed to employ people out of work and improve the economy. So I Choosed the 3rd option. The third reason is I don't want to be "Over Powered" that there is no fun in the game.

Now my overall goals for infrastructure is to complete the mid USA train route, finish the East Coast Interstate. Make a West Coast Interstate. Make a Gulf Coast Interstate. Make a Mexican Border Interstate, Then Finally make a Canadian border Interstate. Please realize that Interstate & Railroad could easily be switched. At the end of these projects I would have 3 distinct supply paths accross the USA. I really doubt I can do all of them and prepare for war as I want at the same time. But I will do my best to accomplish them as quickly as reasonably possible. I see no reason why any unit in the USA should go out of supply in peacetime if there is plenty of supplies in storage.

Right now I am actually not even finishing the current years techs before the end of the unit. I do normally get the basic unit techs done. but the doctrines can be 2 years behind. Since USA needs a very balanced force, research is very spread out. USA has a nice amount of research, but still cant do it all. Very few things have I put on the back burner for research, The first oviously is resource production techs besides supplies and rares. CAs and BCs have been put on hold, as well as CAS since short range airplanes are not important right now compared to long ranged aircraft. Now most techs in the "Industry Tab" and the two supply thechs in the "Theory Tab", I prioritize or even research ahead of time, just because they affect overall and even if they are a small boost. If they work on all my lunits or land, the overall effect will be large.

Please know I am not that experienced of a player, I played around with the game but I have only finished a few games in HOI3. And alot of the first games I played on Ultra Easy. I am playing at Normal level, no cheats, with the exception of at the start of 1937 I started 4 radar instalations for England, 3 runs of convoys and 2 runs of escourts. Which really in my eyes is not cheating since the AI should do this in my opinion but doesn't.

Last edited: