• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Corelay

Captain
56 Badges
Mar 18, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
Hi all.

I'm a very new player to PI products, having sidled into their grand strategy games after coming to these forums when I got the King Arthur games. Very much addicted etc.

I am one of those players with a Byzantine bent, and hence I play Greece in Victoria 2. My question is about the decision the UK has to release the Ionian Islands to Greek control. In the non-beta game, the UK AI generally does this every time at some point in the 50s or 60s- I am guessing this coincides with when they get Nationalism and the decision becomes available.

However, since the 2.2 and 2.3 patch. I noted the AI had stopped doing this and doesn't give me the islands ever. I took a look into the files and noted that there was this change to the event made by the beta patches:
-

ai_will_do = {
factor = 0
modifier = {
factor = 1
OR = {
AND = {
year = 1864
month = 4
}
year = 1865
}
}
modifier = {
factor = 1
relation = {
who = GRE
value = 0
}
}
}
}

-

Now, I am no modder and only understand the basics of programming, so please correct me if I am wrong. Does that not say that the AI does not take the decision by default but will do it under either of two circumstances:

1. It is either April 1864 or any point in 1865 (or maybe, depending on how these instructions work, any point from April 1864 onwards)

2. They have relations of 0 or better with Greece

Or does it have to be both of those things? In either case, both conditions were met.

Assuming I am reading it correctly, this seems a sensible addition to structure the decision a little for the ai, but for whatever reason it never triggers. In my games, my relations with the UK are pretty much always in the high 100s, and 1864 and 1865 went by with nothing happening at all. I checked over on the UK from a save and the decision was available for them to take (and indeed, I could just take it on their behalf and switch back to Greece if I wanted so this is not a fatal issue, though it did lead to the Greek democracy decision being taken by the Greek AI (in the split second I was playing as the UK) earlier than I planned )

The only thing I could think of if that if it is that both have to be true and the possibility expires at the end of 1865, maybe the UK was at war throughout the whole of 1865 (you have to be at peace to take the decision). But I had an 1864 save, so I ran it up as the UK and made sure they were not at war at the end of 1864, checked the decision could be taken (it could), switched back to Greece and got nothing throughout 1865.

So I have covered all I can think of in trying to get the event to fire. Can any of you clever folks fill me in on anything I've missed? I know they are of no great value but it's the principle of the thing- I want my darn islands back!

(In case anyone asks- as I have seen this one queried before- no, no-one else has sphered the Ionians (not sure that makes a difference anyway, so long as they are still a UK puppet), the UK has full control and I checked whilst playing as the UK that they could take the decision). One final thought that occurs to me- does the programming above mean that if the UK is at war in April 1864, and hence unable to take the decision, it then never will? Does it only check once?

Thanks for any help you can give!

factors are multiplicative I believe. So with a base factor of 0, it is being multiplied by 1, so it produces 0, meaning that the AI will never enact the decision. Seems like a bug.

Apparently not!

I had a look through the files to look at other AI decisions- it seems what is normally done is that they say the AI will normally do it and then give exceptions when it will not, whereas here they have tried to say it normally won't do it and then tried to state when it will, but that way around doesn't work as a 0% chance cannot multiply to anything more than zero.

I am having a go at modding the file myself (on a backup of the game) so it works like the other AI decisions- changing the base chance to 1, then making the modifiers make the chance 0 if they are NOT met. So far it's worked perfectly in getting the UK to hand them over, but I haven't checked yet if it doesn't give them when not meant to.

I've put a thread in bug reports.

-

EDIT: Ok, tested this and it works as far as I can tell

-

ai_will_do = {
factor = 1
modifier = {
factor = 0
NOT = {
OR = {
AND = {
year = 1864
month = 4
}
year = 1865
}
}
}
modifier = {
factor = 0
NOT = {
relation = {
who = GRE
value = 0
}
}
}
}
}

-

(file is 'ENG.txt' inside Decisions folder, and is part of the section labelled "ionian_islands_question")

With this in, the UK will give the islands to Greece if it can (it needs Nationalism and to not be at war- and to still have the Islands as a vassal of course) so long as

a. It is after April 1864
b. Relations between Greece and the UK are above 0

I think that's the intended behaviour, and it seems to work from what I have tried.

Last edited: