• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(1823)

Johan's Home Account
Mar 14, 2001
Hello everybody and welcome to the second development diary about the 1.05 patch. Last week we talked about the revised crusade system and all the new features supporting it. Now we have come to discuss something that may be a surprise to some.

1.05 is introducing a concept called Dynamic Kingdoms. The original release introduced the concept of de-jure kingdoms, but they were 100% static, and each province belonged to a kingdom from the start to the end of the game. While this system had its advantages, there were some slight drawbacks to it, and we wanted to improve upon it.

The first feature of this concept is the fact that duchies can now be assimilated into another de-jure kingdom, after belong to that kingdom for at least 100 years. So if England holds Normandy for 100 years, it will become a de-jure part of England, and the crown-laws of England will apply to Normandy. This also makes the unification of Spain, as one Kingdom, a long-term practical goal

We also introduced the concept of creating titular titles, if you hold the scripted capital. Titular titles are more expensive to create than titles that have land already de-jure to them. This means that you can now create the Kingdom of Venice if you so desire..

We have also added quite a lot of kingdoms to the map from the start, so that some of the major ones like France and Germany are slightly less powerful blocks at the start of the game. Frisia, Lotharingia, Bavaria, Pomerania, Aquitaine and Britanny are now de jure kingdoms from 1066, even if they are not actual titles held by someone. If they are not created and held by someone they will eventually be assimilated.

Some changes to kingdom setup also include Galicia and Navarre being de jure kingdoms, and the kingdom of Al-Andalus is now called Andalusia and can be created by anyone in the Arabic culture group.

An interesting mechanic change is that a kingdom can only be created if you are already a king or emperor, OR you hold more than one duchy title. After all, who would respect a mere duke claiming to be a king.

Kings and Emperors can now also take counties inside their de-jure realms, as we changed how Ducal Claims work to now be a "De Jure Claim", so if you as King of Burgundy holds a province that is de jure France, France can always attack you for it.

I have to apologise for the lack of screenshot in this development diary, but I am writing it from home, as its a holiday week.

Enjoy, and you'll see more details next week.. where we may finally be more shady!

This is absolutely amazing. Thank you so much, CK2 team.

Just wondering, how moddable is this? If I want to make it so every province within Byzantine hegemony becomes de-jure part of the imperium, is it possible?

This sounds great. Time to buy the game;)

I hope those changes will somehow nerf HRE too...

These changes sound nice.

But I must ask: how do you intend to nerf the HRE?

It will be good to have Abolish Kingdom feature. You can hold France and Castile titles simultaneously, then abolish Castile, fight some resistance and incorporate her lands into France.

Working on long Friday? Ah, it's the Balor account, working from home I see:D

You cannot assimilate De Jure Kingdoms I assume?

Doesn't sound like it, but it would make sense. HRE or Byzantium could then grow or shrink. Naples could get out from the Byzantium heritage.

Though I would prefer if Empires had no du-jure claims. They could make a vassal of anybody, but only their vassals gives a shit about them.

Long Friday? This Friday is no longer then any other Friday ;) Think you mean Good Friday?

Anyhow, sounds like really good changes.

Oups, direct translation fail, yes, Good Friday it is. I think Long Friday is a better name though, since it was all long and painful for Jesus. Whats good with him agonizing on the cross:D?

titular titles sounds good and i imagine could lead to some very interesting scenarios, especially through mods.

But yet more good changes! well done CK2 team!

Wow, that's sweet.

I'd rather see this tied to culture somehow. So aquitane and burgundy would assimilate really easily into france and sicily into italy but england would find it harder to take bits of france.

Can titular titles assimilate territories too, thereby becoming non-titular?