+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: CK II - 1.05 Development Diary - 2 of 3 - April 6th 2012

Johan's Home Account Paradox Dev Team Balor's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

CK II - 1.05 Development Diary - 2 of 3 - April 6th 2012

Hello everybody and welcome to the second development diary about the 1.05 patch. Last week we talked about the revised crusade system and all the new features supporting it. Now we have come to discuss something that may be a surprise to some.

1.05 is introducing a concept called Dynamic Kingdoms. The original release introduced the concept of de-jure kingdoms, but they were 100% static, and each province belonged to a kingdom from the start to the end of the game. While this system had its advantages, there were some slight drawbacks to it, and we wanted to improve upon it.

The first feature of this concept is the fact that duchies can now be assimilated into another de-jure kingdom, after belong to that kingdom for at least 100 years. So if England holds Normandy for 100 years, it will become a de-jure part of England, and the crown-laws of England will apply to Normandy. This also makes the unification of Spain, as one Kingdom, a long-term practical goal

We also introduced the concept of creating titular titles, if you hold the scripted capital. Titular titles are more expensive to create than titles that have land already de-jure to them. This means that you can now create the Kingdom of Venice if you so desire..

We have also added quite a lot of kingdoms to the map from the start, so that some of the major ones like France and Germany are slightly less powerful blocks at the start of the game. Frisia, Lotharingia, Bavaria, Pomerania, Aquitaine and Britanny are now de jure kingdoms from 1066, even if they are not actual titles held by someone. If they are not created and held by someone they will eventually be assimilated.

Some changes to kingdom setup also include Galicia and Navarre being de jure kingdoms, and the kingdom of Al-Andalus is now called Andalusia and can be created by anyone in the Arabic culture group.

An interesting mechanic change is that a kingdom can only be created if you are already a king or emperor, OR you hold more than one duchy title. After all, who would respect a mere duke claiming to be a king.

Kings and Emperors can now also take counties inside their de-jure realms, as we changed how Ducal Claims work to now be a "De Jure Claim", so if you as King of Burgundy holds a province that is de jure France, France can always attack you for it.

I have to apologise for the lack of screenshot in this development diary, but I am writing it from home, as its a holiday week.

Enjoy, and you'll see more details next week.. where we may finally be more shady!

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II Collection
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Working on long Friday? Ah, it's the Balor account, working from home I see

You cannot assimilate De Jure Kingdoms I assume?
    I alone have the right to use my avatar!

See the proof

This is absolutely amazing. Thank you so much, CK2 team.

Just wondering, how moddable is this? If I want to make it so every province within Byzantine hegemony becomes de-jure part of the imperium, is it possible?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneSword of the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Balor View Post
    Enjoy, and you'll see more details next week.. where we may finally be more shady!
    I smell a plot

This sounds great. Time to buy the game

I hope those changes will somehow nerf HRE too...
    But then again, being blind substantially opens up ones dating pool

Would this mean that Aquitane can immediately become a Kingdom at game start?

Very nice changes indeed

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDungeonlandEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    Penumbra - Black PlagueSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldThe Showdown EffectWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    These changes sound nice.

But I must ask: how do you intend to nerf the HRE?

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II Collection
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Tacit_Exit View Post
    I smell a plot
    Balancing assassinations would also be nice

See the proof

Oh, it just hit me that Mr. Anderson said that Emperors can now create titles. I wonder how that balanced that out for the HRE and Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanmanturbo View Post
    Long Friday? This Friday is no longer then any other Friday Think you mean Good Friday?

Anyhow, sounds like really good changes.

It will be good to have Abolish Kingdom feature. You can hold France and Castile titles simultaneously, then abolish Castile, fight some resistance and incorporate her lands into France.
    "Mao - on umudohal millioni!"
    - V.Sorokin

Red Paradoxians

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Meanmanturbo View Post

You cannot assimilate De Jure Kingdoms I assume?
    Doesn't sound like it, but it would make sense. HRE or Byzantium could then grow or shrink. Naples could get out from the Byzantium heritage.

Though I would prefer if Empires had no du-jure claims. They could make a vassal of anybody, but only their vassals gives a shit about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Morkul View Post
    Long Friday? This Friday is no longer then any other Friday Think you mean Good Friday?

Anyhow, sounds like really good changes.

Oups, direct translation fail, yes, Good Friday it is. I think Long Friday is a better name though, since it was all long and painful for Jesus. Whats good with him agonizing on the cross?

See the proof

Does that mean, that the Ruler of southern France will crown himself King of Aquitaine from the getgo?

But the changes sound really good.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Majesty 2Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesPride of Nations
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

This looks SOOOO GOOOOOD!!!

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

titular titles sounds good and i imagine could lead to some very interesting scenarios, especially through mods.

But yet more good changes! well done CK2 team!

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Wow, that's sweet.
    "It is because people's minds are not logical and enlightened that the Empire is in disorder. If the country is not properly ruled there will be no end to rebellions. And if anyone wishes to get the knowledge of how to rule it properly he will only find it in books. That is why the publication of books is the beginning of beneficient rule."

- Tokugawa Ieyasu

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHeir to the Throne
    MagickaVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

This sounds amazing !
    My AARs: Inkwell, my AARs are near the bottom of the page, the 4th last on page 11

"....You might have a very minor case of serious brain damage...."

Wheatly from portal 2

I'd rather see this tied to culture somehow. So aquitane and burgundy would assimilate really easily into france and sicily into italy but england would find it harder to take bits of france.

Can titular titles assimilate territories too, thereby becoming non-titular?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast