+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any plans to try to improve the speed of the mod?

Quote Originally Posted by KanyeWest View Post
    Oh well.

Too bad.
    If you're just going to post insipid white noise, please leave the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Behrens View Post
    I don't mind the slower pace of PDM so I'm not going to bother, but it shouldn't be too overwhelming a project for people who dislike the speed to jack up assimilation, revert the military changes and make a sort of "PDM-lite" mod which would run a lot faster.

However, I think the increased complexity and detail in PDM is what makes it fun, and that must necessarily come at a cost to performance. I like the huge numbers of cultures and the military changes, and I really don't want to sacrifice them.
    Given that many of PDM's changes have now been rolled into vanilla AHD, I am at a loss to identify exactly what added complexity makes the extreme slowdown worth playing APD.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k club

What I do to help with speed is to give steroids to my assimilation and conversion. I also plan to set brigades back to 3000 or maybe even 5000. Would 5000 be more realistic?

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IILost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    V2 AHD BetaHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Calanctus View Post
    If you're just going to post insipid white noise, please leave the thread.
    says as making insult as well as pointless post

peoople complaining what are your rig specs
    Ignored: Nuril, videonfan, Pandi

Benevolent Imperialist flame7926's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

They meet the requirements for vic2. I shouldnt have to have great specs to play a mod at a reasonable speed.
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, 3 GB RAM, Nvidia 8600 GT,
    Come see my AAR: Scandinavia: 1890-1936 w/ Great Wars : Dead
    Try my user tweak for PDM mod Victoria 2. Winter, gaining cores, and more.
    Victoria 2 Pop Utility, works with any version
    White Man's Burden mod for Victoria 2. Greatly improves exploration and colonization, as well as rebellions and international affairs: Coming Soon
    Contact me by PM or at flame7926@gmail.com if you are interested in helping

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IILost Empire - Immortals
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    V2 AHD BetaHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by flame7926 View Post
    They meet the requirements for vic2. I shouldnt have to have great specs to play a mod at a reasonable speed.
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, 3 GB RAM, Nvidia 8600 GT,
    If they add big things to the base game it should be assumed

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by s1234567890m View Post
    It does seem slower than before AHD, as well as the brigades being small slows it down and all the cultures are IMO unneeded.
    White Man's Burden mod for Victoria 2. Greatly improves exploration and colonization, as well as rebellions and international affairs: Coming Soon

Given that many of PDM's changes have now been rolled into vanilla AHD, I am at a loss to identify exactly what added complexity makes the extreme slowdown worth playing APD.
    APD adds a huge amount of complexity compared to vanilla. You can't seriously claim that vanilla has added even a small fraction - PDM has dozens if not more than a hundred new tags, the China event chain, all the new events and decisions, political improvements - it's more complex on every level. To address specifically my reasons for desiring a feature that leads to game slowdown, the reduced assimilation of minorities, I like it because increased minority culture means that revolts happen more frequently in areas dominated by a foreign culture. It leads to more nationalist revolts, making the outcome of games more unpredictable, compared to the same homogenous blobs that form every game in vanilla - it seems more like a real world, and less like an iterative mathematical function. I can look across the map every game and see something new. Without these sorts of features, I would have gotten tired of Vicky 2 long ago. If you prefer a faster game, you can always play vanilla, or mod the mod to address these issues, but it would really upset me if PDM lost features to increase performance when these options are still available for people who want the game to run faster.

Arsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Gee I don't know... maybe having 3 times as many units has something to do with it?
    In vanilla vicky 2, assimilation and soldier pop spam in colonies caused exactly the same slowdown issue late game.
    (at least in the early versions, I pretty much stopped playing vanilla after 1.2)

I really don't think the relatively minor benefits of 1000 man brigades outweigh the costs.
    Last edited by Dichromate; 07-04-2012 at 02:38.

500k club

hmm lets see, alternate formations of Germany and Italy, all the extra cultures, migration, and assimilation, the China warlords chain, the Bakumatsu, the new trade goods, the Taiping Rebellion, the Scramble for Africa, the new African countries, the Peru-Bolivian Confederation Chain, the Crimean war, the Egypt-Ottoman events and war, the Congress of Berlin, all the new other events, and the full Great Wars. Not to mention the maybe 200 extra tags.

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring and say that PDM does experiences a general slowdown that AHD doesn't have. Computer ability is not a problem. Could it have much to do with the province changing resource type?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Rome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband

Just to be clear on this, are you guys saying that APD was always very slow (from first release), or that it has gotten very slow recently (like when the unit size was changed)?

Because obviously any mod with the amount of extra content as PDM is always going to be slower then the original game (that's true of any mod that adds things to any game), are we just talking about that, or some extra slow down recently?

its probably the save game bloat that is cause it the most problems, just ran two hands off vanilla and APD
    APD save games start 5MB bigger and keep on growing, i stopped in 54' and the difference had crept to about 8MB

500k club

its probably the save game bloat that is cause it the most problems, just ran two hands off vanilla and APD
    APD save games start 5MB bigger and keep on growing, i stopped in 54' and the difference had crept to about 8MB

But how would that slow down the game at all? Wouldn't it just slow down saving and loading?

But how would that slow down the game at all? Wouldn't it just slow down saving and loading?
    i would think it would be analogous to searching 10,000 files as opposed to 20,000 files with windows explorer, more to deal with etc

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Naval War: Arctic CircleRome GoldSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

The bigger saves themselves aren't slowing down the mod, but it shows how much more stuff there is in the mod, which does slow down the game.

hmm lets see, alternate formations of Germany and Italy, all the extra cultures, migration, and assimilation, the China warlords chain, the Bakumatsu, the new trade goods, the Taiping Rebellion, the Scramble for Africa, the new African countries, the Peru-Bolivian Confederation Chain, the Crimean war, the Egypt-Ottoman events and war, the Congress of Berlin, all the new other events, and the full Great Wars. Not to mention the maybe 200 extra tags.
    None of that stuff is worth the mod running three times as slow as vanilla. Great I have an alternate way of forming Italy that takes three times as long of the game running in the background to reach and a scramble for africa I'm never going to reach because the game is a slideshow at that point. Real great.

Sadly you could probably have most of that and a mod that runs much faster if the migration and probably army stuff was reverted.
    Last edited by cooooooo; 07-04-2012 at 21:05.

I have an overclocked i5 750 which is well over the games recommended requirements and APD is interminably slow compared to AHD. The base engine is old and crap (never mind the game it runs being modded to handle extra crap it was never meant to handle) and does not really take advantage of better specifications so all the people saying "upgrade your rig" are idiots.

Recruit
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourHearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 106003956105810, Boston, Massachusetts
    Speaking about the performance, I think people posting their opinions regarding the performance of APD should come up with the objective measurement or criteria so that people will not argue about how the game runs slow, unplayable, playable and so forth. To this end, I would suggest that posting an average frame-per-second (fps) found in APD, PDM, AHD, and possibly original Victoria 2 if one desires it, would be a way of objective measurement. Since it's a comparison amongst the game with different platforms (vanila, mod), the average fps found in every game platform would show whether there actually exists a significant difference between APD and PDM, APD and AHD, AHD and PDM, etc. However, fps alone would not tell much, so people should also post their computer specification, such as CPU, RAM, Graphics (including GPU), HDD, and other relevant components. This way, the developers would be able to gather an unified database that would, in the end, tell how people are experiencing the performance of APD in general.

Furthermore, keep in mind that Victoria 2 is a kind of game that requires pretty high spec computer to run smoothly. Because of all that bitmap texture, text file format database and incomplete--i'm not sure whether this issue got solved in AHD--synchronization with quad or dual core CPUs, the game tends to require a considerably good specification to run it smoothly. Good specification means something that can play other high-end games such as Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, to name a few. So, when people who are experiencing smooth game playing in vanila are not enjoying the similar, if not the same, quality in the mod, then I do not think responding back with "upgrade your pc" is effective or appropriate ones, given how the computers they are running are already in top-tier level--unless Victoria 2 requires something greater than any other existing games, just like how Battlefield 1942 in single player with 64 bots required ridiculously high spec to operate "decently".

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k club

Quote Originally Posted by cooooooo View Post
    None of that stuff is worth the mod running three times as slow as vanilla.
    Why are you playing this mod then?

You practically stated every feature of PDM is worthless, so go use another mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotkiller View Post
    Why are you playing this mod then?

You practically stated every feature of PDM is worthless, so go use another mod.
    You'll find that I'm not playing the mod because it runs like a turtle in quick sand which is uhhh the point of this thread? Like I have posted, which you could have read if you were capable of such, I feel most of the big features of PDM were usurped by AHD so all that's left is some nice extras like events and new countries. Those are nice! But they are not worth the mod running 3x as slow due to some dubious other additions like making sure Polish people still exist in 1935 a feature that probably isn't necessary anymore considering further AHD changes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast