+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any plans to try to improve the speed of the mod?

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k club

Quote Originally Posted by cooooooo View Post
    You'll find that I'm not playing the mod because it runs like a turtle in quick sand which is uhhh the point of this thread? Like I have posted, which you could have read if you were capable of such, I feel most of the big features of PDM were usurped by AHD so all that's left is some nice extras like events and new countries. Those are nice! But they are not worth the mod running 3x as slow to make sure Polish people still exist in 1935 a feature that probably isn't necessary anymore considering further AHD changes.
    You'd be surprised to know that I am actually literate.

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IILost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    V2 AHD BetaHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

You'll find that I'm not playing the mod because it runs like a turtle in quick sand which is uhhh the point of this thread? Like I have posted, which you could have read if you were capable of such, I feel most of the big features of PDM were usurped by AHD so all that's left is some nice extras like events and new countries. Those are nice! But they are not worth the mod running 3x as slow due to some dubious other additions like making sure Polish people still exist in 1935 a feature that probably isn't necessary anymore considering further AHD changes.
    this lotion will make you 3 time prettier, see i can make pointless statements too

how about you actually put some times and compare them to vanilla ie year lengths
    Ignored: Nuril, videonfan, Pandi

Benevolent Imperialist flame7926's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

You'll find that I'm not playing the mod because it runs like a turtle in quick sand which is uhhh the point of this thread? Like I have posted, which you could have read if you were capable of such, I feel most of the big features of PDM were usurped by AHD so all that's left is some nice extras like events and new countries. Those are nice! But they are not worth the mod running 3x as slow due to some dubious other additions like making sure Polish people still exist in 1935 a feature that probably isn't necessary anymore considering further AHD changes.
    What are these changes from PDM that are in AHD, because I havent noticed anything major yet
    Come see my AAR: Scandinavia: 1890-1936 w/ Great Wars : Dead
    Try my user tweak for PDM mod Victoria 2. Winter, gaining cores, and more.
    Victoria 2 Pop Utility, works with any version
    White Man's Burden mod for Victoria 2. Greatly improves exploration and colonization, as well as rebellions and international affairs: Coming Soon
    Contact me by PM or at flame7926@gmail.com if you are interested in helping

Arsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

uh please just stop. It's been gone over multiple times here -the slowdown from additional tags is negligible. Go and load the NNM or one of those stupid packs that covers Africa with 'tribal nations' if you don't believe me - just put it over vanilla and see if you notice any difference whatsoever.

I agree that speed is an issue, but the recently bad performance has very little to do with assimilation mechanics that have been in the mod from basically the very beginning, nor with the relatively conservative additions of new tags.

Tripling the number of military units on the map at any given time overnight however.....

Arsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian View Post
    Just to be clear on this, are you guys saying that APD was always very slow (from first release), or that it has gotten very slow recently (like when the unit size was changed)?
    Much slower recently, that is: when the unit size was changed. Not unplayable for me, but it is very noticeable.

All right, let me see if I can sum up this thread for the last three pages:

"It's too slow!"
    "No, it isn't!"
    "Yes, it is!"
    "Prove it!"
    "No, you!"
    "Why don't you?"
    "Well, I don't have to, because it's too slow!"
    "No, it isn't!"

And so on. I suggest a lock before this ad hominum mess goes on any further. If you're having issues with the modification, then figure out a system for yourself, because unless a good majority of the people who use the mod have the same trouble, there doesn't seem to be any sense in trying to tamper with the current system to meet the tastes of someone who as far as I can tell hasn't even posted in this sub-forum before.
    Nationality: British, living in the provinces-in-revolt of British North America, New York.
    Ideology: Reactionary.
    Issues: British Pan-nationalism
    Current work: PROVINCE_NAME
    Cash reserves: 50
    Revolt risk: 99%
    Militancy: 10
    Consciousness: 10
    "The biggest argument against democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter." -Winston Churchill
    "The absolute ruler may be a Nero, but he is sometimes a Titus or Marc Aurelius; the people is often Nero, but never Marc Aurelius." -Rivarol

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by KanyeWest View Post

"It's too slow!"
    "No, it isn't!"
    "Yes, it is!"
    "Prove it!"
    "No, you!"
    "Why don't you?"
    "No, it isn't!"

And so on. I suggest a lock before this ad hominum mess goes on any further. If you're having issues with the modification, then figure out a system for yourself, because unless a good majority of the people who use the mod have the same trouble, there doesn't seem to be any sense in trying to tamper with the current system to meet the tastes of someone who as far as I can tell hasn't even posted in this sub-forum before.
    A lot of people with a variety of specs posted in this thread saying it was slow, one person posted results.

And, its not meeting the tastes of one person, its many people who are having this, not exactly a problem, but a difficulty, from predominantly brigades, which there is no major upside to.
    White Man's Burden mod for Victoria 2. Greatly improves exploration and colonization, as well as rebellions and international affairs: Coming Soon

"It's too slow!"
    "No, it isn't!"
    "Yes, it is!"
    "Prove it!"
    "No, you!"
    "Why don't you?"
    "No, it isn't!"

There is no ad hominem here. If you're going to throw around pedantic Latin phrases, at least learn to use and spell them correctly.

If you don't care about the slowdown, that's your prerogative, but most people--yes, people, it's not just the OP--posting in this thread have reported a noticeable slowdown. It's not a subjective phenomenon.

Oh come off it, you're basically setting a goalpost that you consider to justify action (if lots of people are complaining about speed issues) at the same time that you're suggesting that the very means by which we might evaluate whether such a point has been reached be deliberately suppressed. (ie: by locking a thread where people are complaining about speed issues). Good job contradicting yourself.

All you've done in this thread is troll, there's not any need to lock the thread when the only really negative conduct is coming from you. Simple solution would be for you to just bugger off.
    And fyi - I've posted several times in this thread about the issue (as have other non-newcomers) and I've been posting in this subforum for as long longer than you have.
    Last edited by Dichromate; 08-04-2012 at 14:06.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Hey, enough with the crap talk.

Ultimately it's up to Naselus whether anything is to be done about the speed of the mod. Whether APD runs fast enough to make you happy is entirely subjective-- if it's too slow for you to use, that's entirely up to the individual. The best you can do is state your opinion and any objective observations and leave it at that. Nas has a better idea than most as to what the causes of slowdown might be. Ultimately if he decides the benefits are worth it (to him), then nothing more really needs to be said. There's no point in getting snippy with each other otherwise. APD is not a public service.

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IILost Empire - Immortals
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    V2 AHD BetaHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club

objective comment ho

Quote Originally Posted by s1234567890m View Post
    objective comment ho
    Thanks, except for the single file size (of your save files, I must presume)...care to explain your objective numbers, please?

Quote Originally Posted by chrism2012 View Post
    Thanks, except for the single file size (of your save files, I must presume)...care to explain your objective numbers, please?
    D is delta, so time between saves=how long a year takes, is averaged at the bottom, as windows doesnt save seconds, only to the nearest minute, (s) is supposed to be minutes was a typo i never fixed

this lotion will make you 3 time prettier, see i can make pointless statements too

how about you actually put some times and compare them to vanilla ie year lengths
    Actually if you'd read the thread you'd find I already have. Thanks for playing.

Quote Originally Posted by flame7926 View Post
    What are these changes from PDM that are in AHD, because I havent noticed anything major yet
    An economy that makes sense and isn't endless profit forever, tech changes so there aren't a few really good techs and a bunch of shitty worthless ones so you have more legitimate ways to play, world wars, more formable nations, that's just off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylock View Post
    Hey, enough with the crap talk.

Ultimately it's up to Naselus whether anything is to be done about the speed of the mod. Whether APD runs fast enough to make you happy is entirely subjective-- if it's too slow for you to use, that's entirely up to the individual. The best you can do is state your opinion and any objective observations and leave it at that. Nas has a better idea than most as to what the causes of slowdown might be. Ultimately if he decides the benefits are worth it (to him), then nothing more really needs to be said. There's no point in getting snippy with each other otherwise. APD is not a public service.
    If you're just going to say "APD is not a public service" and stick your head in the sand just like you lot did when a whole bunch of people complained about your retarded research changes (and then in the end you dumped the whole project cause it was unsalvageable anyway) then please just close the thread rather than give anyone the impression you give a shit about feedback and aren't just going to do whatever you feel like. Thank you.

500k club

Actually if you'd read the thread you'd find I already have. Thanks for playing.

An economy that makes sense and isn't endless profit forever, tech changes so there aren't a few really good techs and a bunch of shitty worthless ones so you have more legitimate ways to play, world wars, more formable nations, that's just off the top of my head.
    The economy is significantly improved in AHD, but techs arent very much more balanced, world wars are only a small version of what is in PDM, and there are a total of 2 more formable nations. Thats a tiny fraction of what is in PDM, and makes it great.

If you're just going to say "APD is not a public service" and stick your head in the sand just like you lot did when a whole bunch of people complained about your retarded research changes (and then in the end you dumped the whole project cause it was unsalvageable anyway) then please just close the thread rather than give anyone the impression you give a shit about feedback and aren't just going to do whatever you feel like. Thank you.
    He isn't saying they wont do anything about it, just that its up to Naselus, who hasn't been around for the past week or so, to read the thread and make any changes he thinks are necessary.

This is ridiculous. It's a very big mod. Of course it slows down the game, if you don't like it there are lighter ones available.
    Also nobody is in charge of the mod here. Nobody is "sticking his head in the sand", there's simply no one to answer this complain at the moment. The creator of the mod is buzy and no one can answer for him. So don't start to be rude and to whine just because it has been 3 days since this topic started and there is still no clear answer to it.
    You said you didn't "really see why [you] should stick with APD when it runs so slowly", well you should go play vanilla for a while instead of polluting this forum with vulgar and hateful posts.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria 2

What we don't give a crap about is feedback like "the new research system sucks lol". We eventually changed it after collecting constructive feedback and observation-- not because some dipshit decided to grace the forum with his oh-so-generous opinions. If you really think you were helpful in us reaching that conclusion, then you're quite mistaken.

This will be the same thing. If someone wants to offer real observations (and there's been some), Naselus will decide what to do with it. It's his mod. If he decides to keep the mod the way it is because he feels the changes are worth it, then you can decide whether to use the mod or not based on that. No one's forcing you.

Just keep in mind that what you think may be causing the slowdown may not actually, in fact, be the cause. A quick fix may not be possible or even desirable, and Naselus may already have some ideas. Who knows? It's Easter, and he's busy-- and will probably roll his eyes at this trash talk when he does finally read it.

D is delta, so time between saves=how long a year takes, is averaged at the bottom, as windows doesnt save seconds, only to the nearest minute, (s) is supposed to be minutes was a typo i never fixed
    Now it makes much more sense, thank you.

Regarding objective time differences (I again must presume that APD means the latest 2.1.1 version):
    - It seems that compared to vanilla, the time between a year's autosave has increased by 123% when using APD; or the other way round, the game has slowed down to about one half...
    - Differences between 2.0.7 (the final one without 1000 brigades) and APD indicate a time increase of 35%, or a further slowdown by about a third.

It seems on the first thought, that the use of 1000 brigades has a quite additional effect on game slowness.

But if it's so then why didn't 2.0.9 game times also increase by this same amount?

So there must be some additional changes - or some other effects - which increased the whole amount further... please correct me if I'm wrong.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Well, I've been playing essentially ever since PDM started coming into being, maybe a little bit after that and although it has gotten slower to the base game, vanilla, it has however kept things pretty good.
    Assimilation is at a more reasonable pace compared to the vanilla game, and many events rely on the assimilation to work properly, what good are Polish nationalist if they are good and proper Germans. Furthermore it tends to lead to a VERY powerful Austria-Hungary because everything converts within a couple of decades.

I do enjoy the brigade system as well, it tends to allow for the smaller nations to field some sort of resistance, however paltry to a Great Power, but it does tend to keep the other nations around it off its back.
    The economy is much better, expanded and tends to flow better with its own boom and busts that actually did occur during the time frame when some resources felt a 'shortage'.

Granted, I feel the slowdown is justified considering the extra content added that I've enjoyed ever since I came to this particular part of the modding community. I tend to lurk more now and just enjoy the product, but I use to throw a suggestion in every so often.

I tend to play on the 3 speed and 4 speed setting. Magni Mundi was also a great, and sometimes slow mod but that didn't stop me from lving that community either.

Edit: I also saw an unfair comparison to the 'Witcher 2', I think Victoria 2 only recently began to have multi core support due to the initial limitations of the Clausewitz engine, and Paradox Interactive games were always more heavy on processing power and RAM than on the graphics card.
    Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    "Fascist: I am angry about something but find it difficult to articulate exactly what it is. " ~Developer Diary 13 Upper House and Reform - Victoria 2~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast