+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Succession Nightmares

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Succession Nightmares

My successions are absolute nightmares. Either all of my vassals rise up against my heir or his brother rises up along with half my vassals. Any tips to make this go smoother?

Something you can do is give your heir land before you die. That way he/she gets prestige and piety, every 100 points gives +1 to relations boost to the corresponding people. Otherwise save up money to gift vassals asap. I'm sure other people can give more tips

For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIMagickaSengokuVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Valvinar View Post
    Something you can do is give your heir land before you die. That way he/she gets prestige and piety, every 100 points gives +1 to relations boost to the corresponding people. Otherwise save up money to gift vassals asap. I'm sure other people can give more tips
    Granting land is troublesome, but giving them a council seat and the best unlanded title you can will greatly help when they finally get on the throne.
    I mean exactly what I write.
    Unless I'm being sarcastic, ironic or exaggerating or understating for effect. Or using allegory.

Mein Führer! I can walk!
    Soylent Grün ist menschenfleisch!!

Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

I'll try that. I tried just losing to the brother, but then the next brother rose up. It became an un-fun game very quickly and I rage quit.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion

The only problem with giving your heir all this land is that once he is king you will need to redistribute it to other dukes, or if he fortunately has an heir, give it to him. This can result in somewhat unstable duchy setup, but I do often use this tactic when I need a reliable placeholder for a duchy.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

you can also grant the heir some land early so that he'll gather some prestige and when you die and he steps up, he'll have enough to effectively boost opinion.
    /MCMLXXXIX

I managed to get my first king's second son to become heir. He's awesome with 14+ in all stats and the following traits:

Illusive Shadow, Just, Temperate, Gregarious, Genius, Scholar and Amibitous.

Now he's got a smart wife as well but only 1 daughter no sons to pass on his awesome dna Three months into his new reign he lowers his chances for an awesome male heir by having too much fun at a tournsment and becoming homosexual.

Perfect character partially ruined. I was a sad panda.
    kilarious

So, if he has high enough Prestige the vassals won't rise up as much? How else can I raise Prestige? I know that marrying well helps.

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2500k club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kilarious View Post
    I managed to get my first king's second son to become heir. He's awesome with 14+ in all stats and the following traits:

Illusive Shadow, Just, Temperate, Gregarious, Genius, Scholar and Amibitous.

Now he's got a smart wife as well but only 1 daughter no sons to pass on his awesome dna Three months into his new reign he lowers his chances for an awesome male heir by having too much fun at a tournsment and becoming homosexual.

Perfect character partially ruined. I was a sad panda.
    kilarious
    Do your succession laws allow for a female heir if no make exists? If so, make sure she is married matrilinial when the time comes.

If not, change it to that -- or to elective or seniority, either of which would extend your succession to members of your dynasty beyond your children.

Crusader Kings II500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I try and just save up money when my ruler starts getting near forty that way the heir can have some cash to buy people off. However, you may want to look into trying to avoid giving any conniving rivals to the crown land...that usually always sets up a civil war with one prince wanting the crown and other dukes will like to follow him, because hey, that king will like me because I fought for him.

I don't know how much giving the heir land works makes sense though so I'd try that too, but avoiding rivals with land is always a good thing, marry them off and send them far far far away so you don't have to worry about them creating trouble and besides the point is to spread the dynasty to ensnare Europe in you ilks grasp is the best way to make it work anyway I think.

Warlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by heliostellar View Post
    So, if he has high enough Prestige the vassals won't rise up as much? How else can I raise Prestige? I know that marrying well helps.
    Creation of titles, having many dynasty members with titles helps down the line, using the landless titles. Winning large battles in war, several wargoals grant prestige. Winning tournaments if vassal to a king. Having many titles or counties. Lots of things.
    Unless I'm being sarcastic, ironic or exaggerating or understating for effect. Or using allegory.

Mein Führer! I can walk!

I gave my heir all sorts of land and the kingdom descended into chaos again on succession... it's frustrating. Also, when his brother declared war with the backing of France I realized there was no way I could win, so I surrendered. Instead of the brother becoming king though, the character shifts so that I am now the brother but my old character is still king. Is that WAD? What did I surrender then?

Hire mercs and crush them. Pay attention to why your vassals are upset; if you can placate the ones with the most power you can use them to subdue the others. Unfortunately you can't always please all your vassals with good leadership so you have to crush skulls.

When your vassals are threatening rebelion, check the intrigue tab and see why by hovering over the relations and revold risk numbers. When you die, make sure you pause the game and sort out any problems first. Often on succession, you go over your demesne limit and may have more than 2 duchies. Make sure you give away your extra titles before you unpause.

If I don't educate my heir myself, I make sure he is educated by a same culture, same religion person with good diplomacy and good stats. High diplomacy helps with relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipster View Post
    If I don't educate my heir myself, I make sure he is educated by a same culture, same religion person with good diplomacy and good stats. High diplomacy helps with relations.
    I've been educating them with higher Military scores, so maybe this is the problem... Also, I re-read the manual and it seems that the Chancellor is pretty important too.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion

When possible I will try to educate my Duke's heirs. They always accept, and it gives me a mento bonus and allows me to screen them for bad traits like ambitious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagernaut View Post
    When possible I will try to educate my Duke's heirs. They always accept, and it gives me a mento bonus and allows me to screen them for bad traits like ambitious.
    A side-note to this; since you can only have two wards at a time, and often want to educate at LEAST one of your own sons, I try to keep some content bishops around to educate the heirs of my vassals, as this increases the chance that they'll be content themselves. Not perfect, but anything helps.

Mein Führer! I can walk!

I actually had a succession go smoothly! I loaded up my heir with lots of titles. Every time I saw a vassal getting uppity, I encouraged them to rebel, took their title, and gave it to my heir. Also, I paused on the day of succession and handed out all those titles which I now couldn't support to my rival family members to placate them. It seemed to work and I only had one earl rebel.

I'll have to check out educating my dukes' heirs. That actually sounds like a good idea.

+ Reply to Thread