+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Throwing Weapons

Wasn't it the ineffectualness of blades on armor that led to the use of maces and hammers?

God of War and Thunder Demi Moderator Baynard's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure it was yes - blades (when cutting not stabbing) are almost 100% useless against plate armour - so crushing/blunt weapons came into use. Although throwing axes would have still done damage to plate I think.
    A.K.A. Hugues

Find me on:“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
    ― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses

Damaging the plate, yes, injuring the person wearing the plate? Not so much. You'd have to be very unlucky.
    - What can change the nature of a man?

EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane

Blog Entries
    Repeat hits may have caused injury if done right - or the armour would become very badly damaged.
    A.K.A. Hugues

― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteGettysburgKing Arthur IILead and Gold
    MagickaSword of the Stars IIMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses

Blog Entries
    This is a multiplayer game, you will die, you will respawn, and you will die again. This is also a game that will require skill, and practice, but you will still die and respawn many more times. Things won't always be equal, someone else out there will always be better than you, but you'll always have a chance. This isn't some sissy shooter where we want some n00b to feel as powerful as the guy who's spend hours perfecting his skill. We do want that n00b to understand what mistake(s) they made and know what they must also practice to win next time. This is a game of skill, and skill (cony comment coming) is kill without an "s"!

Okay… this really is a game skill, strategy, and tactics. This will not be a game for those that quite early and cry to their mothers about crust on their sandwich. This is a game for men (and women) that eat the crust and swallow a pint of beer to wash it down! So, stop crying for something to help you with a ranged player. Pull your damn armor up and hunt him like a dog until your thirst for revenge is quenched.

That's all for now!
    War of the Roses Executive Producer
    Quote Originally Posted by s1234567890m View Post
    I have horses, and i cant see whats wrong with the speed? Maybe more bumps for the rider, and more horse farts, but nothing is glaringly wrong here

Blog Entries
    I ain't cryin'! I'll hunt em' down and gut those damn archers without any throwing weapons, just my trusty two hander!
    A.K.A. Hugues

― Thomas A. Edison

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteGettysburgKing Arthur IILead and Gold
    MagickaSword of the Stars IIMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Baynard View Post
    I ain't cryin'! I'll hunt em' down and gut those damn archers without any throwing weapons, just my trusty two hander!
    +1
    War of the Roses Executive Producer
    Quote Originally Posted by s1234567890m View Post
    I have horses, and i cant see whats wrong with the speed? Maybe more bumps for the rider, and more horse farts, but nothing is glaringly wrong here

Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses

Quote Originally Posted by GordonVanDyke View Post
    This is a multiplayer game, you will die, you will respawn, and you will die again. This is also a game that will require skill, and practice, but you will still die and respawn many more times. Things won't always be equal, someone else out there will always be better than you, but you'll always have a chance. This isn't some sissy shooter where we want some n00b to feel as powerful as the guy who's spend hours perfecting his skill. We do want that n00b to understand what mistake(s) they made and know what they must also practice to win next time. This is a game of skill, and skill (cony comment coming) is kill without an "s"!

Okay… this really is a game skill, strategy, and tactics. This will not be a game for those that quite early and cry to their mothers about crust on their sandwich. This is a game for men (and women) that eat the crust and swallow a pint of beer to wash it down! So, stop crying for something to help you with a ranged player. Pull your damn armor up and hunt him like a dog until your thirst for revenge is quenched.

That's all for now!
    Warning!

Container is full - breach of hull imminent.
    Evacuate the area to not be completely flooded by pure win.

In other words:
    I completely agree. Well said. This sounds like just the game for me.
    - What can change the nature of a man?

Wrong thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P.T. View Post
    Wrong thread.
    What? Who? Where?
    A.K.A. Hugues

― Thomas A. Edison

. Although throwing axes would have still done damage to plate I think.
    This is one mentality that I've never understood in games (and people obviously), why would throwing a weapon make it do more damage? it would only do considerably less as it loses energy. and then theres the fact that you can't 100% hit with most throwing weapons but thats a different discussion.

The thing I don't get about throwing axes and knives is they are spinning in flight, aren't they?
    So even if you hit isn't there a chance that they hit handle first?
    Like maybe 50%?

I wouldn't mind about throwing weapons as long as peasants were restricted to throwing stones.
    "In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane." Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P.T. View Post
    The thing I don't get about throwing axes and knives is they are spinning in flight, aren't they?
    So even if you hit isn't there a chance that they hit handle first?
    Like maybe 50%?
    Somehow people that train can hit blade end first all the time - not sure how.

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid101 View Post
    I wouldn't mind about throwing weapons as long as peasants were restricted to throwing stones.
    Peasants with throwing stones? We don't know the 'leveling system' yet so maybe people can go strait to knights, who knows.
    A.K.A. Hugues

― Thomas A. Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid101 View Post
    A peasant could get his hands on a couple of knives, or even axes, but stones I do believe would be most prevalent, maybe sharpened sticks to act as throwing spears of some sort.

Oooo.... I wonder if they'll put in stuff like sharpened hoes and pitchforks? That'd be awesome!

Somehow people that train can hit blade end first all the time - not sure how.
    The amount of force put into the throw helps determine which end hits first at what range. I'm not quite sure of the exact physics behind it but that's what I do when I throw my hatchet and I can make the blade hit probably 75% of the time and I've only been doing it for a couple of months.
    "If instead of being so strong, our last cartridge had been fired, our last shilling had been spent, and our last man were lying on the ground and his enemies howling round him and their bayonets raised, ready to plunge them into his body, that man should say—true to the traditions handed down—if they said to him: “Now, will you come into our Empire?”—he should say, and he would say: “No! I will not.”"

Quote Originally Posted by GordonVanDyke View Post

That's all for now!
    We won't always respawn, will we? In warband one of the best features it had was that the majority of the servers featured battle mode. The game is immeasurably(is there any way I can stress this more?) more fun when every action could be your last(until the round ends) and your punishment is more than just watching a timer go, "3...2...1..."

You fight to survive, rather than to kill. You WANT to stay alive. I remember one of the biggest hurdles I ran into when playing warband was getting over my fear of losing a fight, as you cannot win a fight if you do not commit to it. It was so satisfying to realize this and get better because of it. I never would have had that satisfaction if I just respawned every time I died.

may there a alternative server setting and game mode ?

If there's ever a siege mode I'd quite like footsoldiers to be able to throw rocks off the battlements, it'd give them something to do before the gates are down or people scale the walls and if I'm not mistaken was the sort of thing that might have happened.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherDoma View Post
    If there's ever a siege mode I'd quite like footsoldiers to be able to throw rocks off the battlements, it'd give them something to do before the gates are down or people scale the walls and if I'm not mistaken was the sort of thing that might have happened.
    Too add to this point, I'd love to see boiling tar being able to be tipped as this was a common castle defence tactic in those times if I am not mistaken.
    A.K.A. Hugues

― Thomas A. Edison

Too add to this point, I'd love to see boiling tar being able to be tipped as this was a common castle defence tactic in those times if I am not mistaken.
    Yeah that'd be neat too!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast