+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Throwing Weapons

Throwing Weapons

I don't remember reading nor watching any interviews where they gave any clue about throwing weapons being the game. Didn't even see anybody in the forums say anything about it. But I would truely love seeing throwing weapons in the game as I had some great fun with them in Warband. I'm not sure whether it's historically accurate or not but what do you guys think?

I think throwing weapons are pretty essential in helping to get the balance right between Infantry and Archers and hope to see them in game for that reason alone, (not that I don't enjoy throwing an axe in someone's face. )

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of NationsEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Henk. View Post
    I don't remember reading nor watching any interviews where they gave any clue about throwing weapons being the game. Didn't even see anybody in the forums say anything about it. But I would truely love seeing throwing weapons in the game as I had some great fun with them in Warband. I'm not sure whether it's historically accurate or not but what do you guys think?
    I love throwing weapons like franciscas and javelins but I think are very unhistorical for this war! However I hope that they will develop "throwing stuff" can be helpful for sieges and mods! (dark age and 1066close mods!!)
    1 Student
    Culture: Southern Italian
    Religion: Atheist
    Ideology: Communist
    Issues: Planned Economy/Atheism
    Cash Reserves: 3,00
    Revolt Risk: 50% (too lazy)
    Militancy: 7
    Consciousness: 10

Exactly, can't really think of any arguments for improper balancement. They never really pissed off a lot of people in Warband anyways. But seeing as they're always talking about (cross)bows and even flintlocks I fear they won't be in the game..

But who knows, they might just be keeping it a secret or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Vestinus View Post
    I love throwing weapons like franciscas and javelins but I think are very unhistorical for this war! However I hope that they will develop "throwing stuff" can be helpful for sieges and mods! (dark age and 1066close mods!!)
    Well so are heather shields (I know I know, bit less historical inaccurate but still) and most are fine with that. For me it's definitely gameplay > realism and in my opinion throwing weapons fit in fine both gameplay wise and setting-wise.
    Last edited by Henk.; 05-04-2012 at 19:26.

No problems with them here as long as you don't get to carry a ridiculous amount (can raise the damage to compensate, though).

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectAngel View Post
    I think throwing weapons are pretty essential in helping to get the balance right between Infantry and Archers and hope to see them in game for that reason alone, (not that I don't enjoy throwing an axe in someone's face. )
    Nothing like sticking a throwing axe into an archers brains.

But seriously archers have the range and ability to leg it, you need something to either slow them down or stop them from escaping when you nearly have them in your clutches, I know personally a thrown weapon is definatly a must if i'm playing infantry on M&B.

Throwing weapons if im correct not useful in this time period. Im fine without throwing weapons, dont want another Warband in my hands. Heater shields right they are out of the time period but still, many who dont know history wouldnt know this. Its a symbol for medieval times for many, not all but still many.

Cant still see archers as a problem, feels mostly like you are trying to nerf down archers before release of the game.

Sure they are annoying in Warband, but I get still more annoyed when killed by anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Digu21 View Post
    Throwing weapons if im correct not useful in this time period. Im fine without throwing weapons, dont want another Warband in my hands. Heater shields right they are out of the time period but still, many who dont know history wouldnt know this. Its a symbol for medieval times for many, not all but still many.

Cant still see archers as a problem, feels mostly like you are trying to nerf down archers before release of the game.

Sure they are annoying in Warband, but I get still more annoyed when killed by anything else.
    I'm just concerned about the situations where you have an archer with high running speed and a ranged weapon left against someone that can never cover the distance or get within attacking reach before the archer just turns and runs a little bit further away, (kiting.)

God of War and Thunder Demi Moderator Baynard's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club

Blog Entries
    Throwing weapons would be great but hell they are annoying if someone equips only them, and spams everyone.
    A.K.A. Hugues

Find me on:I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    ― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

Lead Programmer
    Fatshark

Quote Originally Posted by Kator Viridian View Post
    Nothing like sticking a throwing axe into an archers brains.

But seriously archers have the range and ability to leg it, you need something to either slow them down or stop them from escaping when you nearly have them in your clutches, I know personally a thrown weapon is definatly a must if i'm playing infantry on M&B.
    Archer kiting is very much an issue we're aware of in melee games and something we're addressing in several ways. Because of time constraints and because we want to test a lot more before we commit, I unfortunately can't talk about them yet. It's very intertwined with movement features, so that will also affect how it comes together. All I can hope is that you trust that I am personally championing this issue and that it will be resolved before release

Quote Originally Posted by Robin. View Post
    All I can hope is that you trust that I am personally championing this issue and that it will be resolved before release
    Huzzah!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin. View Post
    Archer kiting is very much an issue we're aware of in melee games and something we're addressing in several ways. Because of time constraints and because we want to test a lot more before we commit, I unfortunately can't talk about them yet. It's very intertwined with movement features, so that will also affect how it comes together. All I can hope is that you trust that I am personally championing this issue and that it will be resolved before release
    You guys are very dedicated developers so I have no doubt you'll come up with something, afterall most developers won't even talk to their target audiance on a forum and just carry on like there was no problem at all. And I completely understand why you can't talk about certain things, that dosn't bother me in the slightest, some things have to be kept secret.

Glad to hear that your on the case Robin

Still would be nice to see some sort of thrown weapon, maybe pickupable rocks on the battlefield, would be quite funny to see and makes a little bit of sense ... in a way (Throwing a rock would probably knock off the archers aim a little).

Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses

As long as they are useless against advanced plate armour, I don't mind.

We actually conducted live test with various axes being thrown at me (while wearing my plate armour, of course, I'm not THAT mad), and the effects were... yeah.

They didn't really do anything, but distract, and only if they hit my head.

Well if they're going for throwing weapon then, as with all the other classes, they should divide into different groups and enlarge them. Such as there's bigger and smaller swords and axers, there should be heavier yet slower or lighter and faster throwing axes. There's a lot of ways they can do that, giving the throwing weapons different types of shafts or building material to alter the stats and the use.

Also if realism would be such a huge factor this game would be looking entirely different than it's looking now.

I apologise for my rather brutish first post in this topic - bad memories from Warband came to life, as well as those real life tests we made on me with sharp axes.

Of course, if throwing weapons were to be implemented, the developers would have to cut an edge to game balance - so completely negating damage to plate armour would be out of the question, from a gameplay point of view.

But Warband is an example for how you can exaggerate in the opposite direction of realism: Throwing weapons are very, VERY damaging there. Even if you have the best armour available (Swadian coat of plates 'n stuff, in vanilla MP). That is definately too much.

A compromise would be best, I think. Weak, but existant damage to armoured players, and huge, serious damage to unarmoured players. Like archers.

I completely agree, I suspect that (if they'll implent it at all, which I doubt) they'll take the middle ground when it comes to armoured players. Medium to high damage (depending on said variables) and a good bunch of perks used for the better axes and the 'anti-archers/distraction/against light armour' throwing axes more accesible for most classes. This way you could so serious damage against everyone for the cost of being less effective in other areas or use it as a secondary weapon for distance while keeping the focus on other areas.

Anyways as said I doubt there's going to be throwing weapons in the game so.

God of War and Thunder Demi Moderator Baynard's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club

Blog Entries
    Considering they haven't been mentioned once and haven't been shown - it's pretty much a definite, no point even discussing throwing weapons.
    A.K.A. Hugues

Find me on:I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    ― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEast India Company
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSword of the Stars
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by ElricVonRabe View Post
    As long as they are useless against advanced plate armour, I don't mind.

We actually conducted live test with various axes being thrown at me (while wearing my plate armour, of course, I'm not THAT mad), and the effects were... yeah.

They didn't really do anything, but distract, and only if they hit my head.
    It really depends on the quality and design of the weapon thrown, as well as the distance, but most of all, it has to be thrown with the right technique by a strong arm. Not all weapons are intended for throwing. Don't let a strong man throw a properly sharpened javelin at you, even with the armour. I imagine axes are the most difficult weapon to use for throwing, while a spear requires less finesse. Whoever throws has to have a real determination to kill you if you want a realistic result however. But well, maybe you can try throwing at a target coated with similar plates.
    I think more people who interact with me should know about the neuropsychological disorder, Asperger's Syndrome; that I am diagnosed with, in order to at least to some degree understand the background to my by some people perceived as strange personality.

I doubt that a throwing axe would help in a situation where there was only a single infantry unit and an archer left on the field.
    Can't you see an axe coming at you if you are watching the person throwing it?
    And if so, it would be easy to step aside.
    Infantrymen can't be carrying throwing spears around during combat. Even the Roman infantry that carried pila threw them at the beginning of combat.

Under normal battle conditions archers and cavalry are the units that control enemy archers.
    Not every unit counters every other unit.

In real life an infantry unit that is left to deal with an archer would either need to be wily or wait until the archer used up his arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Samilou View Post
    It really depends on the quality and design of the weapon thrown, as well as the distance, but most of all, it has to be thrown with the right technique by a strong arm. Not all weapons are intended for throwing. Don't let a strong man throw a properly sharpened javelin at you, even with the armour. I imagine axes are the most difficult weapon to use for throwing, while a spear requires less finesse. Whoever throws has to have a real determination to kill you if you want a realistic result however. But well, maybe you can try throwing at a target coated with similar plates.
    I respect your opinion, but the first hand experience I have is still much better than what most have.
    And believe me, it was a very unique experience having those axes thrown at you.

The fact is: They didn't penetrate, or when they did, not strong enough to hurt the target. Most bounced off, no matter if they hit with the blade. They were sharpened, of decent quality, and thrown by a seriously strong and rather skilled "viking". And I still have a scratch / dent in my visor slit when the axe hit me there.

While you may be right that my trainer didn't want to kill me, we also tried those tests when I wasn't wearing the armour.
    My current Breastplate isn't of the highest quality, and I'm certain armour of higher quality would have fared better.
    Anyway, the results when I didn't wear it were not much different from when I wore it.

ONE throw, I think it was the last, actually penetrated the armour. But not enough to let the blade of the weapon reach the flesh beyond.
    It didn't even scratch the padding underneath, and the hole was more of a very tiny pinhole.

And believe me, we have thrown them with no corner cut when I wasn't in the armour - we were effectively trying to throw efficient enough to break the armour.
    While we managed to do that, the effect was still so weak and of no serious consequence for the person that would have been wearing the armour (not to mention that we were like 5 meters away from it, which is rather close), I come to the conclusion that throwing axes are simply ineffective against full plate armour.

I believe that due to the masterful, rounded and fluted design of advanced plate armour of the period WotR plays in, it would be very hard for throwing weapons, no matter what kind (yes, even javelins), to actually do some serious damage against armoured targets, that would make it worth carrying them around. There was a reason why shields were discarded, and there was a reason why there are almost no reports of throwing weapons being used in that period.
    - What can change the nature of a man?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast