• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

nafastus

Game Producer
63 Badges
Jul 13, 2011
  • Sengoku
  • Magicka
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • BATTLETECH
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Paradox Order
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Knights of Honor
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • War of the Vikings
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • For the Motherland
  • Lead and Gold
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Dungeonland
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
General

What is Starvoid?
Starvoid is a Multiplayer Online Real-Time Strategy Arena game for PC. The Game is set a couple of hundred years into the future where humanity has settled most inhabitable corners of our galaxy. In these corners of the galaxy, huge corporations fight over valuable resources using mercenary commanders and their combat robot armies.
The player takes control of one of these human commanders. Using small gateway boxes to summon robots and vehicles, they fight other commanders over resources on the battlefield. In return, they get paid by the company, for which they claim the resources, allowing them to further improve their robots and get new ones.

Who is making Starvoid?
The game is published by Paradox Interactive and is developed by Zeal Game Studio, based in Gotland, Sweden.

On what platforms will Starvoid be available?
Starvoid will be released for PC.

When will the game be released?
The game will be released August 30th 2012.

Where will the game be available?
The game will be available via all major digital distribution platforms.

How do I stay up-to-date to Starvoid news?
You will be able to follow Starvoid news and development through the Paradox Forums, Twitter and Facebook.

Gameplay & Features

Will Starvoid feature online multiplayer?
Yes, the game will feature online multiplayer battles and with up to 12 players simultaineous.

Can I join an online match that is already in progress?
Yes, you will be able to join an ongoing game and get into the fray ASAP. Also, if you feel like it, you can leave it whenever you want without a penalty.

Will you be able to play Single player?
No.

How many and what kind of game modes will be featured?
There will be three game modes; Battle, Sabotage and Team Death Match.
In Battle, the key to victory is to capture resource points. The team with the highest amount of resources at the end a match wins the round.
Sabotage is a different kind of gameplay where each player starts with a number of "bombs" that can be placed in the opposing teams base to damage the.
Team Death Match is the most simple game mode. Players spawn randomly across the map and the goal is to defeat as many opposing commanders as possible.

How many playable characters will there be in Starvoid?
There will be several playable commanders at release, each having their own story, abilities and appearance.

Can these characters be upgraded?
Yes, there will be a progression system that allows the players to purchase special items and robots with in-game currency gained from playing matches. A contract is signed with the corporates, which allows the use of different robots.

Will each character have a dedicated role in the game?
Yes, each character will feature a number of abilities unique for their role.

How many different maps will be available in the game?
There will be three maps at the launch of the game, with the ambition to add more maps later on.

What is the game setting?
The game setting is a feeling of the Wild American Frontier days set in the outer rim of the Milky Way Galaxy.

So, what’s up with that cube on the cover?
The cube is not just there for its fancy appearance; it’s actually a gateway device used by the commanders to summon droids to aid them in battle.

Last edited:
If you have Alpha access you should also have access to the Starvoid Alpha board in this forum - there you can writa everything you want about the current version of the game :)

If you do not have access for some reason, I suggest that you contact Paradox customer support!

We've taken inspiration from many different RTS games, so it will be somewhat like many of them :)

However, the actual game will not be like most other RTS games at all since the game is designed to make player able to join and leave ongoing game servers as they please. And to enable this, the classical phases of RTS games has been completely removed. So instead of an early game with base building and harass, that leads to a skirmish oriented mid-game and then to a full blown end-game clash and so on, Starvoid focuses on being straight up combat focused all the time, through the entire game. So if a player joins a game that is close to the end - he will not be that far behind. Instead, most progression is made at a meta level (between matches), where you unlock new droids and upgrade them and customize your own set ups between the matches.

If the combat reminds of Total Annihilation I cannot tell. I did unfortunately not play that game very much back in the days - I was much too deep into the Age of Empire series, and Warcraft when I got some time away from AoE. Based on what I've heard though, I respect Total Annihilation deeply and I do know that there are other members in my team that love that game, so there is probably several things from that game that have been the source of inspiration for our game elements :)

I hope this cleared some things out for you!

One question. Is this going to be F2P? I only ask since the popular MOBAS right now are all F2P. I usually don't play F2P by the way. I'd like to pay once and have the game. Maybe 1 or 2 DLCs here and there. Not spend $5 every time i want to buy a new pair of gloves.