• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Pardon me for being a downer but encouraging Paradox to charge actual money for introducing basic diplomacy features really isn't the direction I imagined Paradox would be taking development-wise.

IDK coding the AI to use new diplomacy sounds like a expansion type idea

Slightly different to the OP's orginal point, but i would really like to see a "Buy Province" option and "Sell Province" option. Not just a "Sell Province" option like in EU3. I would sure like some more diplomatic options.

The AI can't handle buying/selling provinces. If worst comes to worst and the AI does something stupid like UK conquering Southern Finland, I tag switch and RP it as "international pressure".

Ok well even better, included in a patch! ;)

That I could definitely go for.

s1234567890m said:
IDK coding the AI to use new diplomacy sounds like a expansion type idea

Victoria 1, Hearts of Iron 2, Europa Universalis III (do I need to go on?) all have some mechanism of land and money (and tech transfer for V1 an HoI2+ troops, ships, resources and airplanes for HoI2).
They wouldn't be introducing new features but reintroducing what was a given in a game 9 years old.

That I could definitely go for.

Victoria 1, Hearts of Iron 2, Europa Universalis III (do I need to go on?) all have some mechanism of land and money (and tech transfer for V1 an HoI2+ troops, ships, resources and airplanes for HoI2).
They wouldn't be introducing new features but reintroducing what was a given in a game 9 years old.

Has the AI ever used war subsidies?
IIRC land transfers was taken out b/c the AI couldnt handle it, was exploited by the players

The diplomatic AI behind these was extremely inadequate, and open to blatant exploitation by the player.

The only way not to make a game AI open to exploitation is to have a player restricted to observing games.
Finding the cracks in the works is pretty much a hobby for players after the "ooh, shiny, let's see how the game works" phase and instead of not introducing basic features because a player could find a way to abuse it would be better to introduce them and try to make them more impervious against aforementioned exploitation.

The only way not to make a game AI open to exploitation is to have a player restricted to observing games.
Finding the cracks in the works is pretty much a hobby for players after the "ooh, shiny, let's see how the game works" phase and instead of not introducing basic features because a player could find a way to abuse it would be better to introduce them and try to make them more impervious against aforementioned exploitation.

And on the flip side, if the AI doesnt understand how to use it or cant, why have it?
The AI should have all the resources we have, not have one hand ties between its back.
Id rather the AI use Free people sensibly to cripple GP's and create buffer states from non existant countries.
We get it you want new toys to play with while you run rings around the AI.

Being able to give money to other nations would be a nice idea, I wonder how the AI would handle it though.

War subsidies is a nice feature, but I seldom use it since I am always afraid that it'll cause me huge losses. It should be possible to set a maximum amount of pounds devoted to war subsidies whenever you use them, so that whenever you choose a nation you want to help with war subsidies you also use a slider to set the maximum amount of pounds per day you want to give.

Has the AI ever used war subsidies?
IIRC land transfers was taken out b/c the AI couldnt handle it, was exploited by the players

The AI has given me war subsidies several times before.

They will never put buying and selling of land back into the game. It has been talked about on these boards at length since before the game was originally was released and they've been firm that it was too exploitative. Not sure why that exploit matters, but other exploits they have an attitude of "well, if you think it's an exploit then don't do it", but whatever.

And on the flip side, if the AI doesnt understand how to use it or cant, why have it?
The AI should have all the resources we have, not have one hand ties between its back.
Id rather the AI use Free people sensibly to cripple GP's and create buffer states from non existant countries.
We get it you want new toys to play with while you run rings around the AI.
*sigh*
Then simply remove the AI's willingness to sell land completely until Paradox comes up with a way to first make the AI be able to use the existing features which allow you to "run rings around the AI" and the AI can't use, since the only real points of the "completely basic diplomacy" system are to buff up a weak nation for laughs and to use it in multiplayer where it is beyond crucial to have a system of real diplomatic interaction between players since giving up land for an alliance isn't an ideal option if the trade entails 10 infamy per region because of a complete absence of a land transfer mechanism.

*sigh*
Then simply remove the AI's willingness to sell land completely until Paradox comes up with a way to first make the AI be able to use the existing features which allow you to "run rings around the AI" and the AI can't use, since the only real points of the "completely basic diplomacy" system are to buff up a weak nation for laughs and to use it in multiplayer where it is beyond crucial to have a system of real diplomatic interaction between players since giving up land for an alliance isn't an ideal option if the trade entails 10 infamy per region because of a complete absence of a land transfer mechanism.

This would be an awesomely good point if it actually was an existing feature. Since it isn't...

There's no real need to add features that an already barely-adequate AI will ignore. Every V2 MP community already uses savegame edits to achieve cash and land transfers, so if the AI can't cope with it (and the amount of AI work it would require is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond patch level) it's a pointless feature which requires a programmer and a UI artist to add. So yeah not gonna be happening outside and expansion.

I'd call it 'Concert of Europe', myself.

This would be an awesomely good point if it actually was an existing feature. Since it isn't...

There's no real need to add features that an already barely-adequate AI will ignore. Every V2 MP community already uses savegame edits to achieve cash and land transfers, so if the AI can't cope with it (and the amount of AI work it would require is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond patch level) it's a pointless feature which requires a programmer and a UI artist to add. So yeah not gonna be happening outside and expansion.

I'd call it 'Concert of Europe', myself.

If Paradox can't spare the pocket money to add another icon to the diplomacy menu and adapt the war diplomacy screen I'll seriously do it myself, and if they don't have a programmer that can code a land or money transfer (not even needing the AI to do anything but autoaccept) within half a workday then I'm seriously worried about the future of Paradox as an independent game making company.
Lack of critic due to every customer and their grandma blindly defending a company's every move (or lack thereof) is what gets companies out of touch with their fanbase and ultimately reality. I believe there was a pretty good explosive response to a rainbow colored ending as an example of that recently.

Are you seriously comparing the ending and terrible writing of Mass Effect 3 to the refusal of Paradox to add an exploit that has minimal bearing on the game outside of MP?

LOL

A transfer option solely for use between players in MP would be nice, but comparing the current situations to one of the worst and most avoidable decisions a game company has made in the past decade feels like a blast from a Hyperbole Beam.