• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Xerkis

Major
14 Badges
Mar 20, 2012
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Starvoid
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Age of Wonders III
I see beds and tables and food and all of that.

But do the Dwarves actually have to take the time to go to the beds to sleep in them for a certain amount of time and go to the tables to eat food (assuming you have food for them)?

Or is all of this just for looks?

It's just as s0ny says, the Dwarves loose energy at a set rate while being awake, and at faster rate when the are tasked with hard work.

When they get tired enough, the'll head over to an empty bed and sleep.

//Thorwaldsson

I love to experiment in the “what if” areas. So. . . . . .

What if you have no beds? What happens to the Dwarves?

What if your all your fighter Dwarves are tired and heading for the beds but you are attacked? Do the defend even when tired and assumed fight at a lower ability – or do they take on the “Grumpy Dwarf” and say not before I had a nap first?

Same sort of situation above but this time your fighters are all in the beds asleep and you are attacked – but they aren’t fully rested. Will they get up right away?

I love to experiment in the “what if” areas. So. . . . . .
Bring it :D

If you don't have any beds the dwarves will eventually collapse on the floor, this will decrease the happiness of your dwarves, witch could have devastating consequences, if it goes on to long.

Your dwarves won't head off to sleep the second they get sleepy, so if they are preoccupied with more pressing things, such as a hostile attack they'll hold searching for a bed until there is time.

Non combat dwarves will eventually stop following your orders and head for a bed, while military dwarves will fight until they pass out from sleep deprivation.

If you don't have any beds the dwarves will eventually pass out on the floor, however the rest gained from sleeping on the cave floor is bad and the dwarf will become grumpy.

// Thorwaldsson

Hahahaha that sounds a bit humorous. I will be doing that few times to see what else will take place from that.

My opening was also on food and eating. Same sort of thing with that as well?

Where is the food coming from? Was that what was growing in that one room in the Twitch demo? There was trees (I assume for wood) but something else. Looked like bushes.

Yeah, the player build magic (not that they'd admit it) stones that allows for underground plantations. The crops you saw in the demo are placeholders but you're still correct that the pines are for wood.

At this time there is only a general food resource but all kinds of plants have different "planting" properties. But that system is going under reconstruction this weekend, so I can't say how it will look come Monday.

//Thorwaldsson

All this talk about food and sleep. . . . .
I could go for something to eat and a nap right now – too bad I’m at work
Oh no, I think I’m turning in to a “Grumpy Dwarf”
;)

If there are different types of beds and these beds give different bonuses, is there a way to specify which dwarves or types of dwarves can use which beds?

If there are different types of beds and these beds give different bonuses, is there a way to specify which dwarves or types of dwarves can use which beds?
You can choose which material to make the bed (and other furniture) out of. I assume this choice has some sort of statistical effect on the bed.

You can choose which material to make the bed (and other furniture) out of. I assume this choice has some sort of statistical effect on the bed.
I don’t think that is what John Forseti is asking though.
I think he is asking if you can say, only this Dwarf can sleep in this bed and that Dwarf can only sleep in that bed or do they just pick whatever bed they want.
So what determines what bed they pick? Closest, random, best available?

I don’t think that is what John Forseti is asking though.
I think he is asking if you can say, only this Dwarf can sleep in this bed and that Dwarf can only sleep in that bed or do they just pick whatever bed they want.
So what determines what bed they pick? Closest, random, best available?

Yes, perhaps I should have said given rather than if. It would be nice if it was possible to reserve the best beds to military types so they're always in tip-top condition, or even if the beds were all the same it would still be nice to reserve a bed for a particular dwarf, that way I could place it near their place of work minismising their commute time and making sure no random passerby who happens to drop into sleepy mode can take it up forcing the other one to seek a bed further away.

Maybe have it that you can't have a higher level Dwarf until you provide a better bed and food source. The King, of course, would always have the best.